BLM from POV of Black Cop

eiem60T.png

jMWCUV3.png

EYdl5Jo.png

Look at how the white perception of the black fight for racial equality and justice has changed over the years, and tell me with a straight face that 20-30 years from now people won't look back on this time with disdain for how much of white America had disdain and a lack of empathy for #BlackLivesMatter

• Fire 3

All very interesting and it points to various problems that needs addressed.

One frustration I have with data like that though is that it's reporting perceptions and not really what is going on.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there is racism. However, perception isn't necessarily reality.

Taking it in another direction, living in central Nebraska, I could have the perception that Democrats really don't give a flying crap about me and honestly....they would be perfectly fine taking my freedoms away so that liberal city people can live better.

Now, that may be my perception but is that reality?

To summarize, I believe that data shows two problems. It shows that racism needs fixed and at the same time, the perception of it (from both sides may need fixed too to an extent).

• Fire 2

Exactly (to LOMS, knapp, and BRB)! Goodness, BLM isn't targeted at the only injustice in the world. And to support this movement isn't to do so at the exclusion of all other issues.

A narrative exists out there that by supporting BLM you are simultaneously not supportive of police. Or, that if you're supportive of police, you can't be supportive of BLM's message.

I've seen and heard from many people supportive of BLM who will tell you they're also staunch supporters of police, and they fully understand that most police are "the good guys.

• Fire 1

Exactly (to LOMS, knapp, and BRB)! Goodness, BLM isn't targeted at the only injustice in the world. And to support this movement isn't to do so at the exclusion of all other issues.

A narrative exists out there that by supporting BLM you are simultaneously not supportive of police. Or, that if you're supportive of police, you can't be supportive of BLM's message.

I've seen and heard from many people supportive of BLM who will tell you they're also staunch supporters of police, and they fully understand that most police are "the good guys.

A narrative also exists out there that claims that #BlackLivesMatter claims that black people are the only people that face problems. It's pretty wild.

Another narrative also exists that claims that everyone has equal opportunity, and that other people of any skin color can be just as successful as me if they would just pull themselves up by the bootstraps and just work harder instead of accepting handouts.

• Fire 1

Yeah, that sort of thing grinds my gears. It's a hijacking of the universal concept of personal responsibility, and uses it to justify the continued exclusivity privilege on select groups. Which is also ironic, I suppose.

Any system can't help but confer advantages unequally. There are always people who happen to be beneficiaries, and people who happen to be the opposite. Things can be done to maybe mitigate it; doing nothing perpetuates the status quo.

A part of it, at least, I think, has to do with white/western/American individualism. White folk (in general) don't really have the neural wiring or the social experiences to understand a collective, shared, communal experience that's bigger and more abstract than just individual anecdotal examples. Persecuted and oppressed people groups tend to find identity in the thing that they are oppressed because of, whether that's sexual orientation, skin color, socioeconomic status, etc., where they are part of a 'we' in a very real way that a lot of us fail to be able to really comprehend.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/04/07/black-lives-matter-co-founder-ask-allah-help-not-kill-men-white-folks/

Toronto Black Lives Matter co-founder Yusra Khogali is under fire over a Tweet she posted and deleted asking “Allah” to stop her from having to kill white people.

“Plz Allah give me strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today. Plz plz plz,” Khogali tweeted on Feb. 9.

News of the controversial Tweet went international earlier in the week after @Newstalk1010 host Jerry Agar began Tweeting about the racist cyber screed.

A part of it, at least, I think, has to do with white/western/American individualism. White folk (in general) don't really have the neural wiring or the social experiences to understand a collective, shared, communal experience that's bigger and more abstract than just individual anecdotal examples. Persecuted and oppressed people groups tend to find identity in the thing that they are oppressed because of, whether that's sexual orientation, skin color, socioeconomic status, etc., where they are part of a 'we' in a very real way that a lot of us fail to be able to really comprehend.

Landlord, how can you honestly say this with a straight-face while knowing about the plight of the white-Christian in America today....?

:sarcasm

Which brings up a thought. A lot of the people I see on my FB feed minimizing BLM and saying they just need to "work harder", "pull their pants up, literally' and "quit feeding off the system" are the same folks that post articles and videos about how their Christian rights are being taken away, and the government is out to get them. Maybe what we are seeing here is white Christians "think" they are being persecuted, but also realize that honestly it isn't that bad. So, black people, or LGBT, or Muslims who claim oppression must not really have it that bad either. Just an idea...

At least from my own perspective, "white Christians" who feel like the government is out to get them and are having their rights taken away are generally focusing their sights on issues like guns, gay marriage, or homosexuality.

BLM wants equality and fewer deaths at the hands of police.

I think LOMS said it best that the erosion of privilege and the presence of persecution are different.

• Fire 3

The erosion of privilege and the presence of persecution aren't the same thing, but for people that have historically had it very well off in this country, it's understandable why they can be confused for one another.

You guys said it beautifully. I just wanted to add a GOT quote your posts reminded me of:

Tyrion: "It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when 'what is' has worked out in your favor."

Has to be one of the best, most incisive lines of the show.

• Fire 1

The whole BLM movement started with the whole Travon Martin shooting. It's a bunch of people who lack common sense and patience for the evidence and facts to present themselves

Honest question without googling, have anyone of you heard of Jeremy Mardis, Dylan Noble, Zachary Hammond, Ryan Keith Bolinger, Gilbert Flores or Dillon Taylor

I think that bolded statement lacks common sense. Now tell me, did you know who all of those names were before you listed them trying to prove a point?

Nope and that's my point. I had to do research about other cop shootings. Why is it we always hear about the cop vs black shootings and not the cop vs the white shootings?

How are those victim's names I mentioned above less significant than the ones we are only hearing about? Seriously one of those involved a 6 year old boy and nothing. Had his skin been black we would still be hearing about it today and his name would be remembered with a hash tag. More riots and protest.

The media wants everyone to assume that only blacks are the victims and people ARE buying into that. People can't take the time to do their research before losing their minds.

Isn't the fact that you don't know about this a problem of the media, not society? The media in the local area of each of these killings covered these situations, and it's the local and national press that chooses which stories to cover.

You, and several others, seem to be implying that the Black Lives Matter protesters are at fault for protesting what is a rash of statistically unsupportable deaths by Blacks at the hands of law enforcement.

Isn't your gripe really with the press, who are putting this information in front of you? And don't you have a choice to ignore it, and move on with your life?

What Knapp is stating here is factual Dewiz,

The media drives what they want the people to believe or understand. There is no one who could logically argue that there is not some form of racism still within certain law enforcement personnel, just as there is reverse racism within BLM. But the media is the one who is pushing all the buttons to reach their ultimate goals.

Divide an conquer!

What a time to be alive!

There is no such thing as "reverse racism" as white people didn't create racism as that term implies. A person is a racist no matter what the color of their skin is.

• Fire 2

There is no such thing as "reverse racism" as white people didn't create racism as that term implies. A person is a racist no matter what the color of their skin is.

Yep. "Reverse" racism is an inherently biased term, as it implies that, as a White, that person can't be discriminated against because of their skin color.