BLM from POV of Black Cop

this...

Why is it that liberals want to create issues where none exist and will constantly attempt to ignore the facts in the furtherance of some irrational agenda?

followed by this...

The allegation that the entire police force of each and every city, state, town and county are filled with racial hate and simply out to get the poor blacks is pure nonsense.

Is pretty funny to me. But you're right. That is pure nonsense. I'm relieved that nobody is making that allegation.

Why does the statistic that more Whites are killed by cops keep being used? Each time it's used, a kitten with a brain dies. People who think it proves any kind of point are showing how bad they are at math/logic.

I didn't read the rest of the article, but it's the 4th time I've seen that stat, the total number of people killed, being used this week. Learn what an odds ratio or relative risk are, people.

238/196,817,552 = 1.21e-6

123/38,929,319 = 3.16e-6

3.16e-6/1.21e-6 = 2.61

Blacks are 2.61 times as likely to get killed by police officers.

I'm not claiming this tells the whole story but I'm tired of people not understanding which numbers matter.

oh+noes.jpg

this...

Why is it that liberals want to create issues where none exist and will constantly attempt to ignore the facts in the furtherance of some irrational agenda?

followed by this...

The allegation that the entire police force of each and every city, state, town and county are filled with racial hate and simply out to get the poor blacks is pure nonsense.

Is pretty funny to me. But you're right. That is pure nonsense. I'm relieved that nobody is making that allegation.

straw-man3.jpg

• Fire 2

Why does the statistic that more Whites are killed by cops keep being used? Each time it's used, a kitten with a brain dies. People who think it proves any kind of point are showing how bad they are at math/logic.

I didn't read the rest of the article, but it's the 4th time I've seen that stat, the total number of people killed, being used this week. Learn what an odds ratio or relative risk are, people.

123/38,929,319 = 3.16e-6

3.16e-6/1.21e-6 = 2.61

I'm not claiming this tells the whole story but I'm tired of people not understanding which numbers matter.

I'm saying those stats matter.

Along with the fact that people are being killed of all races.

Why is it that liberals want to create issues where none exist and will constantly attempt to ignore the facts in the furtherance of some irrational agenda? The fact is that more whites die in police related incidents than blacks. It is also true that blacks die at disproportionately higher numnbers than whites in police related incidents. This does NOT prove anything about racial discrimination (or the latest modification thereof now referred to as racial bias). The primary reason for the disproportionately higher level of police interactions with blacks over whites is the disproportionately high level of criminal activity in the black communities generally. More crime begets more police interaction and inevitably more death and injuries involving police actions vis a vis the individuals involved. This is NOT racial bias or discrimination. It is simply fact!

While police are human and certainly not infallable by any means. In fact, police, in my experience, have a tendency by personality type to be a more aggressive and physically dominant mindset, lending themselves to be interested in and willing to take on the criminal, also a person with a similar more aggressive and physically dominant type. When the typical criminal (a bully or thug if you will) is contacted by a cop, the odds of a physical confrontation (fighting, resistance, gun fire, etc.) are dramatically higher than the typical confrontation of an average law abiding citizen with another average law abiding citizen. Cops and robbers don't get along, naturally. One should reasonably expect that anger, hate and dispute will be the order of things when parties who resent each other meet.

The Black Lives Matter and those who support them are quite resentful of the authority and control which police and the government they represent over them. Very few people, of any color or community at large, really like being confronted by the police, whether it be to issue a speeding ticket or warn them of spitting on the sidewalk or arresting them for a major crime. The allegation that the entire police force of each and every city, state, town and county are filled with racial hate and simply out to get the poor blacks is pure nonsense. Never has that been the case and certainly not in today's society. Blacks are at least proportionately represented in most police forces across the land certainly nothing short of reasonably representative of society at large. Racial hate is mostly a thing of the distant past, or at least was until Obama & Co injected a big dose of hate and accusatory speech into the public discourse. The great majority of our society today had put race issues well in the rear view mirror until recently. Being accused of being a racist no matter who you are is very hurtful and does nothing to bring the races together.

Why is it that staunch Republicans and staunch Democrats like to throw labels around whenever moderates say something that they don't staunchly agree with?

• Fire 3

123/38,929,319 = 3.16e-6

3.16e-6/1.21e-6 = 2.61

I'm saying those stats matter.

Along with the fact that people are being killed of all races.

If you're saying the totals matter, they don't, at all. I would say this about literally any subject.

I ate 50 oranges and 26 of them tasted good.

I ate 10 apples and 9 of them tasted good.

So I should eat oranges from now on, right?? Because more of them tasted good! This is not the proper statistic here, PERIOD.

I'll go further:

609 people have been killed by cops this year in the U.S.

500 people have been killed by cops this year in Panama City.

Who has the worse problem? It's not the U.S. The U.S. has a crapton more people.

(I made up the Panama City stat but I'm guessing you could look at Mexico given the drug trafficking issues).

No researcher or anyone who knows what they're talking about would ever use this statistic when attempting to prove a point, because it proves absolutely nothing. The relative risk doesn't prove anything by itself either, but it's a hell of a lot better.

• Fire 2

Not one thing you said there had anything to do with my post and my stance on this subject.

It's so far away from my discussion that I have no clue where you are even coming up with this stuff.

I apologize, but you replied to me, and you were very vague and I jumped to conclusions. I was originally replying to the article, not you. So I wasn't trying to argue with what you were saying above. I wasn't replying to your post or your stance on the subject at all. You weren't the OP and I didn't quote your first reply so I'm not sure why you thought I was responding to your stance/discussion. My only reply to you was to your saying "Those stats matter."

• Fire 1

The whole BLM movement started with the whole Travon Martin shooting. It's a bunch of people who lack common sense and patience for the evidence and facts to present themselves

Honest question without googling, have anyone of you heard of Jeremy Mardis, Dylan Noble, Zachary Hammond, Ryan Keith Bolinger, Gilbert Flores or Dillon Taylor

The whole BLM movement started with the whole Travon Martin shooting. It's a bunch of people who lack common sense and patience for the evidence and facts to present themselves

Honest question without googling, have anyone of you heard of Jeremy Mardis, Dylan Noble, Zachary Hammond, Ryan Keith Bolinger, Gilbert Flores or Dillon Taylor

I think that bolded statement lacks common sense. Now tell me, did you know who all of those names were before you listed them trying to prove a point?

Bad cops exist, it's a pretty logical conclusion. But the majority of cops are good cops, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the public doesn't have a real grasp on the training behind when lethal force can and should be used, which is part of the reason for the outrage. The majority of people don't think lethal force was justified in most of these deaths whereas the officers might've been trained otherwise.

Yes, unarmed white people are killed by cops more than unarmed black people, yet, as stated above, a Black person's risk of being killed by a cop is 2.61 times greater than a white person's risk of being killed by a cop. Now I read somewhere that Blacks are more likely to commit violent crime than Whites, thus leading in part to a greater risk of being shot by a cop, and this sort of brings up another important question. Why? Why are Blacks more likely to commit violent crime?

I think you may be surprised to find out just how little it has to do with race and how much it has to do with socioeconomic status. Socioeconomic status is variable made up of current income, occupation level, and years of education, and has a negative relationship with crime. Meaning that people with higher SES are less likely to commit crime. Well, which group tends to fall into the lower SES? Blacks. As of 2012, over a quarter of the African-American population fell below the poverty line, compared to just 12.7% of Whites.

So, although stopping police brutality is a good cause, perhaps we should be more focused on finding ways to help more African-American families get above the poverty line.

• Fire 5

I think you may be surprised to find out just how little it has to do with race and how much it has to do with socioeconomic status. Socioeconomic status is variable made up of current income, occupation level, and years of education, and has a negative relationship with crime. Meaning that people with higher SES are less likely to commit crime. Well, which group tends to fall into the lower SES? Blacks. As of 2012, over a quarter of the African-American population fell below the poverty line, compared to just 12.7% of Whites.

72% of children in the African-American community are born out of wedlock and 67% are born into single parent families. That 72% is up from 24% in the 60s. Having no fatherly role model isn't good for a kid and and being a single parent puts a lot of stress on your bank account. Bottom line is it hurts black communities when it comes to crime rate and the poverty line.

The whole BLM movement started with the whole Travon Martin shooting. It's a bunch of people who lack common sense and patience for the evidence and facts to present themselvesHonest question without googling, have anyone of you heard of Jeremy Mardis, Dylan Noble, Zachary Hammond, Ryan Keith Bolinger, Gilbert Flores or Dillon Taylor

I think that bolded statement lacks common sense. Now tell me, did you know who all of those names were before you listed them trying to prove a point? Bad cops exist, it's a pretty logical conclusion. But the majority of cops are good cops, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the public doesn't have a real grasp on the training behind when lethal force can and should be used, which is part of the reason for the outrage. The majority of people don't think lethal force was justified in most of these deaths whereas the officers might've been trained otherwise. Yes, unarmed white people are killed by cops more than unarmed black people, yet, as stated above, a Black person's risk of being killed by a cop is 2.61 times greater than a white person's risk of being killed by a cop. Now I read somewhere that Blacks are more likely to commit violent crime than Whites, thus leading in part to a greater risk of being shot by a cop, and this sort of brings up another important question. Why? Why are Blacks more likely to commit violent crime? I think you may be surprised to find out just how little it has to do with race and how much it has to do with socioeconomic status. Socioeconomic status is variable made up of current income, occupation level, and years of education, and has a negative relationship with crime. Meaning that people with higher SES are less likely to commit crime. Well, which group tends to fall into the lower SES? Blacks. As of 2012, over a quarter of the African-American population fell below the poverty line, compared to just 12.7% of Whites. So, although stopping police brutality is a good cause, perhaps we should be more focused on finding ways to help more African-American families get above the poverty line.

Good post.

This is pretty much what I have been trying to say for the past few days but instead I came off like a jerk, arguing finely nuanced points and parsing people's statements rather than saying this.

And this goes to my prior expressed thoughts that BLM should be focusing on some of these other problems instead of just police shooting blacks. But, the breast cancer analogy has made me realize that, as a group, BLM is concerned about these other issues, we simply are presented with these other instances (protests gone awry etc.) more because of the sensationalistic media. Race conflict is an easier sell for the media than a peaceful protest or presenting the facts of socioeconomic status. And it is hard to fault a group for getting "up in arms" when there are legitimate cases of police abuses even though those cases do not represent the majority. All of these issues deserve everyone's attention. Focusing on the one aspect of unjustified police shootings doesn't necessarily help the discussion but it is a problem deserving of attention.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/14/george-soros-funds-ferguson-protests-hopes-to-spur/

Mr. Soros spurred the Ferguson protest movement through years of funding and mobilizing groups across the U.S., according to interviews with key players and financial records reviewed by The Washington Times.

Just like that Sheriff Clarke said in this video.. Liberals seek to destroy this country through racial divide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUkS8eMPZvQ

4.30 mark he also talks about the Civil rights movement and BLM.

• Fire 1