Fall Camp Position Battles - Running Back

Newby is not Ameer but on the other hand is not as average as some of the above comments. Most players improve as they mature and of course he will look better as we block better. It is amazing how good running backs look when they are playing behind a solid O line and getting the right play calls. Barry Sanders would not have been one of the best ever if he didn't have some darn good help up front.

Newby is not Ameer but on the other hand is not as average as some of the above comments. Most players improve as they mature and of course he will look better as we block better. It is amazing how good running backs look when they are playing behind a solid O line and getting the right play calls. Barry Sanders would not have been one of the best ever if he didn't have some darn good help up front.

I agree to a point. When we played Okie light during Thurman Thomas and Barry's time there, Nebraska's D was better than Okie's O, Barry didn't need much space to pop through and then make that sideways cut and leave a Husker backer or safety grabbing air. His O line was ok, it wasn't that solid. JMO

^ Lulz. Keep posting like that it got you a +1 lol.

Tre has most upside IMO but won't know for a long time probably. Ozi 2nd, IMO. Wilbon and Newby could both be really good if they'd listen to coaching and do what they're taught. Good bodies. Good athletes. Newby seems to not know how to create or find holes. Wilbon has a tendency to lose speed on most runs with cuts that are extreme even to full stop cuts. That needs to be an occasional tool not a steady diet.

Y'all do realize Newby was playing most the season hurt don't you? He had a severely sprained ankle that limited his ability to cut, his speed, and also wore on him mentally as he played through a lot of pain.

He ws also learning a brand new offense and had HUGE EXPECTATIONS on him to fill Ameer's shoes and play right after him.

Yea he was still not running to day light before this staff either, worse he was fumbling quite a bit under Pelini too, the MSU game comes to my mind immediately. Not all RB's are blessed with the vision to find a hole as fast as the game is moving at this level and there is no shame in that.

He's a great receiving back, if we are gunna pass a lot he is our best bet to help us win. But if we want to be able to run the ball it's got to be Ozigbo i think.

But he may fool us all and become the complete back this year, here's hoping.

Sam's take after 2 weeks of practice:

» Running back: Ozigbo seems like the most complete and, in some ways, most confident back. I like how he lowers a shoulder when he reaches the second level of the defense and how he doesn’t slow down much when he’s hit. Newby may get the first snap of the season, and appears much more efficient this season as a runner — at least in scrimmages. Not as much dancing. Wilbon makes the most guys miss and has a burst that can get him to the corner. Tre Bryant could burn his redshirt, and he’s a great runner in the open field, showing surprising toughness in tight spots. Does Nebraska need him this year? We’ll see. Harrison Jordan, Graham Nabity and Luke McNitt are the fullbacks. McNitt is a nice pass-catcher, Jordan is a tough blocker and Nabity is a mix of the two.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-husker-defense-shows-progress-offense-looks-about-same/article_2989c575-3b95-56d7-8cb5-597bc1424cff.html

• Fire 1

I would assume that Newby will start against Fresno St, but it should be Ozigbo. He only played in two games last year where he got at least 5 carries and both games I liked what I saw.

It should be whoever the coaches decide should start. If Newby, they know better than anyone on this bulletin board.

Is that true when Ozigbo wins the starting job? If Newby wasn't a Senior the battle would be over.

If a coach thinks a Freshman can outperform a Senior, there usually isn't enough sentiment prop up the Senior.

Happens all the time.

Although I do think Newby gets the courtesy of proving himself.

And because they have different styles, it's not hard to imagine platooning Newby/Ozigbo as a 1-2 punch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newby surprised us.

Sorry, gotta jump back on the Tre Bryant bandwagon.

"Let Tre Play!"