Athlon: Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2016

"The problem with that is its Nebraska and they just ran the last guy out for winning nine games a year.

I never understood the argument that firing Solich and Bo deterred other coaches from coming to Nebraska. I f Nebraska is firing above average coaches, then why aren't other schools snapping them up? If our ex coaches were so unjustly fired, then why aren't they at top 25 programs, or at least coaching at Power 5 schools?

A myriad of reasons. Including smear campaigns.

Nope.

The rumors about Frank Solich were true. He got a DUI within weeks of taking the Ohio job. The other rumors were true, too. Influential alums could have protected Frank better, but they thought the program was trending downward and Frank couldn't recruit. Fair or not, any Power 5 school had the last 11 years to capitalize on Nebraska's mistake, but didn't. Since Nebraska got lots of grief for firing a coach with Solich's stellar record, a smear campaign makes no sense. Nebraska didn't state it's rationale for legal reasons. They had no one better lined up. I think it all could have been handled better -- including not firing Frank at all -- but nobody smeared an innocent man. Wish you could get over that.

There was no smear campaign against Bo Pelini either. Bo was an open book for the world to see and hear. In fact the athletic department enlisted a pretty aggressive PR campaign to warm up Bo's image after the 2013 season. The job was still Bo's to keep until Bo screwed the pooch in very Bo-like manner. Then when safely at his hometown school of Youngstown State, with friends and protectors in the administration, Bo went off on the YSU fans for only filling half their 14,000 seat stadium, publicly undercut the staff he was asked to retain, resumed his ref-baiting antics, and finished his 5-6 season by committing consecutive unsportsmanlike penalties that pinned his own offense back at its goal line after they'd been near midfield with a chance to win the game.

A paragraph each dedicated to justifying the firings of Solich and Pelini is a good indicator about Mike Riley's lack of success.

"The problem with that is its Nebraska and they just ran the last guy out for winning nine games a year.

I never understood the argument that firing Solich and Bo deterred other coaches from coming to Nebraska. I f Nebraska is firing above average coaches, then why aren't other schools snapping them up? If our ex coaches were so unjustly fired, then why aren't they at top 25 programs, or at least coaching at Power 5 schools?

Nope.

The rumors about Frank Solich were true. He got a DUI within weeks of taking the Ohio job. The other rumors were true, too. Influential alums could have protected Frank better, but they thought the program was trending downward and Frank couldn't recruit. Fair or not, any Power 5 school had the last 11 years to capitalize on Nebraska's mistake, but didn't. Since Nebraska got lots of grief for firing a coach with Solich's stellar record, a smear campaign makes no sense. Nebraska didn't state it's rationale for legal reasons. They had no one better lined up. I think it all could have been handled better -- including not firing Frank at all -- but nobody smeared an innocent man. Wish you could get over that.

There was no smear campaign against Bo Pelini either. Bo was an open book for the world to see and hear. In fact the athletic department enlisted a pretty aggressive PR campaign to warm up Bo's image after the 2013 season. The job was still Bo's to keep until Bo screwed the pooch in very Bo-like manner. Then when safely at his hometown school of Youngstown State, with friends and protectors in the administration, Bo went off on the YSU fans for only filling half their 14,000 seat stadium, publicly undercut the staff he was asked to retain, resumed his ref-baiting antics, and finished his 5-6 season by committing consecutive unsportsmanlike penalties that pinned his own offense back at its goal line after they'd been near midfield with a chance to win the game.

Within weeks of taking the Ohio job? Stopped there because the revisionism and innuendo isn't worth reading and replying to when the first basic fact is incorrect.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=2240823

Whether it was the correct time frame or not, he committed the act that irresponsibly put other people's lives at risk. A lot of people wanted Brandon Reilly to be suspended over the same thing, and he's just a college kid. This was a 60 year old man that's in charge of a D1 FBS team. Don't defend him.

*Disclaimer*: when I said "he's just a college kid" I wasn't making Reilly's example less of a big deal. It is a big deal.

Nope.

A paragraph each dedicated to justifying the firings of Solich and Pelini is a good indicator about Mike Riley's lack of success.

Nope.

Within weeks of taking the Ohio job? Stopped there because the revisionism and innuendo isn't worth reading and replying to when the first basic fact is incorrect.

Let's be honest: you stopped long before that.

A DUI isn't innuendo. A fondness for young coeds is. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I think I've been perfectly fair to Frank and Bo and history. Nothing will change your mind. I'm okay with that.

I think I've been perfectly fair to Frank and Bo and history. Nothing will change your mind. I'm okay with that.

I don't disagree. But I don't care about being fair to Frank and Bo......they are each doing just fine.

Husker football is not doing just fine. That's what I care about.

• Fire 2

It's not doing fine in YOUR opinion. I would say most rational Nebraska fans are pleased with the way the program is trending. Finished last season strong (something Bo could not do), recruiting is trending up, and the positive PR that Riley generates creates a better image.

• Fire 1

I think it's like when you want to remodel a house that looks pretty good on the surface, but then you discover black mold in the basement.

.......or

you hire a .500 coach and wonder why we went .500.

Sometimes a spade is a spade.

And sometimes a difficult transition is a difficult transition. I guess we will begin to find out what is what this year after we see some on field data.

I'm sick of people pooping on our players. Claiming a program that consistently won a lot of games somehow sucks right when a .500 coach shows up with two suspect coordinators.

Yeah... I don't get the pooping on the players thing either.

We've had a lot of talent on the team, last year and this year. The players are trying their hearts out... as football players always do.

I'm sick of people pooping on our players. Claiming a program that consistently won a lot of games somehow sucks right when a .500 coach shows up with two suspect coordinators.

I have read through this thread twice and I have yet to see where anyone has "pooped" on the players. Quit making sh#t up to start an arguement.

• Fire 5

If someone says we have black mold hidden behind the facade, what is that other than an indictment of the players?

And that's only one example of many around this and other boards.

An indictment on the mentality instilled in the players by the prior coaching staff? A simple analogy used to clarify what is meant by a "Teardown"?

I've been a member here for awhile, and I don't think Guy has ever once taken shots at the players. History, and context, matter.

• Fire 2

If someone says we have black mold hidden behind the facade, what is that other than an indictment of the players?

And that's only one example of many around this and other boards.

An indictment on the mentality instilled in the players by the prior coaching staff? A simple analogy used to clarify what is meant by a "Teardown"?

I've been a member here for awhile, and I don't think Guy has ever once taken shots at the players. History, and context, matter.

Thanks.

I don't disagree. But I don't care about being fair to Frank and Bo......they are each doing just fine.

Husker football is not doing just fine. That's what I care about.

I'm gonna assume anyone who spends time on a Nebraska fan bulletin board cares about Husker football.

But I don't think being constantly pessimistic is proof you care more.

• Fire 2