Athlon: Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2016

I'll just state that I never had my feeing hurt or was embarrassed by Pelini. I thought overall he represented the school very well, fielding a team that did great things on and off the field and rarely had off field incidents.

But I get that he isn't as dreamy looking as Meyer and Saban and that his meany face were scary to some.

This may be the definition of Revisionist History

You really don't understand words. And you even admitted that they mean whatever you feel they should mean at the time.

And that's ok.

But man, it makes a discussion with you impossible.

Very few have unless it related to publicized off the field serious infractions.

NU's actions in firing Solich and Pelini are almost unprecedented.

I'll just state that I never had my feeing hurt or was embarrassed by Pelini. I thought overall he represented the school very well, fielding a team that did great things on and off the field and rarely had off field incidents.

But I get that he isn't as dreamy looking as Meyer and Saban and that his meany face were scary to some.

I stand with BRB on this one.

If you're coaching a "big time" program (Southern Cal, Texas, OSU, Michigan, Bama, etc), and the best you do is crank out 9-10 win seasons for 7 years, with no conference championships, and no real chance at national title, you WILL be let go.

Whether or not thats what NU should aspire to, considering some location disadvantages, might be debatable, and is a different discussion.

By that rationale, NU should have fired Osborne after his 7th season and that's the trouble I have with that rationale.

I think we'd probably agree that college football 40 years ago is different than college football today. The problem is we haven't seen any other "big time" program consistently churn out exactly 9, 10 wins a year and so we don't really have a comparison group. We have to expand our criteria to get a comparison group and often times that criteria expands to coaches at big time programs who won >70% of their games in the last 5-7 years. But even then the comparison isn't really fair because most of the coaches who have won >70% of their games have at least won a conference championship.

So NU's firings of Solich and Pelini are unprecedented really because no team has been in a situation like Nebraska was in these two cases.

Very few have unless it related to publicized off the field serious infractions.

If you're coaching a "big time" program (Southern Cal, Texas, OSU, Michigan, Bama, etc), and the best you do is crank out 9-10 win seasons for 7 years, with no conference championships, and no real chance at national title, you WILL be let go.

Whether or not thats what NU should aspire to, considering some location disadvantages, might be debatable, and is a different discussion.

By that rationale, NU should have fired Osborne after his 7th season and that's the trouble I have with that rationale.

By his 7th season... Tom Osborne had won 2 conference titles... and been ranked in the top 10 teams in the country at the end of the season... 6 out of 7 years.

Pelini didn't win any conference titles and none of his teams were ever ranked in the top 10 at the end of the season.

Besides that, we didn't fire him because of that. We fired him because he was a jerk and a terrible representative of the school.

he called his boss a c*** to the team and called the ref a c***sucker on national TV vs A&M. You mean to say you weren't embarrassed either time?
Definitely not at A&M.

As to the later comment, he'd already been fired. So clearly that wasn't a justification for the prior action.

But some rough language is pretty common in sports and other male pursuits, even among NU legendary coaches not named Osborne.

I just don't care that much about the language.

uhh ok. I've stated before that I don't care about language that much either, but obscene name calling is a wee bit different IMO.

To be fair, I'm referencing college football post 2000. A 9-10 win season, with an 11-game schedule, probably a bowl game, conference titles, and legitimate shots at national titles, looks a lot better than it does in today's landscape of a 12-game regular season + another potential game if you win a division, zero conference championships, and not being in national title conversation.

Pelini never hurt my feelings either. I didn't think he was mean or scary.

He was just an a-hole. And no great coach, either.

He was hired as a defensive guru, and proceeded to field some of the most embarrassing on-the-field defensive performance in Nebraska history. On national TV. Where he often made an ass of himself. He was frequently out-coached. His teams became notorious for their unwillingness to make in-game adjustments. Bo Pelini screamed at and spit on his coaching staff in games where he seemed shocked by what his own team was doing. He didn't like assistants outshining him, and hired underwhelming staffs and coordinators. He blamed the fans for team failures. He said he wanted out of Nebraska in 2011 and had his agent fish around for every major college HC opening since then. The AD gave him a contract extension, more recruiting resources and a 7th season to prove himself. Bo proved that he had simply hit his ceiling.

Then Bo Pelini landed at the safest, most supportive, lowest pressure school he could ask for, and pulled his same tired schtick on the way to a losing season.

What's not to love?

Eichorst would have been an idiot to keep enabling an unremarkable coach who didn't want to be here.

• Fire 7

This is the statement issued by the Nebraska administration after the "second leak" where Pelini went off on Nebraska.

Time to put an end to the Pelini firing saga. This says it all.

"If these comments were, indeed, spoken by Mr. Pelini, we are extremely disappointed, but it only reaffirms the decision that he should no longer be a leader of young men at Nebraska. His habitual use of inappropriate language, and his personal and professional attacks on administrators, are antithetical to the values of our university. His behavior is consistent with a pattern of unprofessional, disrespectful behavior directed by Mr. Pelini toward the passionate fans of Nebraska, employees of the university and, most concerning, our student-athletes. This behavior is not tolerated at the University of Nebraska and, among many other concerns, played a role in his dismissal."

• Fire 1

Are you familiar with the concept of expost facto?

Ps, that statement just demonstrates that the admin were no better than the coach, because he never acting inappropriately toward his players, but they decided to lump that in. Not to mention that his last disrespectful action toward the fans was during a private conversation in 2011.

But pencil neck Perlman no doubt didn't like meany face pelini. We all get that. I just wish that the admin had swapped out rather than the coaching staff.

Are you familiar with the concept of expost facto?

Ps, that statement just demonstrates that the admin were no better than the coach, because he never acting inappropriately toward his players, but they decided to lump that in. Not to mention that his last disrespectful action toward the fans was during a private conversation in 2011.

But pencil neck Perlman no doubt didn't like meany face pelini. We all get that. I just wish that the admin had swapped out rather than the coaching staff.

No ex post facto involved.

The "second leak" occurred after he had been fired. Nebraska tried to save his reputation when they fired him but he didn't want any part of it. Nebraska responded pronto to his comments and used them to tell the world exactly, in no uncertain words, why they fired him.

Nuff said.

• Fire 1

I think I've been perfectly fair to Frank and Bo and history. Nothing will change your mind. I'm okay with that.

I don't disagree. But I don't care about being fair to Frank and Bo......they are each doing just fine.

Husker football is not doing just fine. That's what I care about.

I'm gonna assume anyone who spends time on a Nebraska fan bulletin board cares about Husker football.

But I don't think being constantly pessimistic is proof you care more.

Didn't say I cared more.....said what I care about. I don't care about continuing to justify Pelini's dismissal. Riley could have made the continuation of justification for Pelini's dismissal a moot point. He didn't.

Please tell me when in the 70s did TO act like a total jack ass?

Did you read the post thread? HP13's statement was that a consistent 9-10 win average with no CC's would result in a firing.

It has nothing to do with sideline demeanor.

People keep saying "well it's a combination of not winning and a poor demeanor."

Letting aside that the sideline issues weren't ever really that bad (not as bad as at least 10 other HCs in CFB) and had improved dramatically in 2013 and 2014, I find that argument lacks integrity.

If a guy's behavior is bad enough to justifying a firing, then winning shouldn't matter. And 90% of people admit that had Bo won they would have overlooked his sideline issues.

So I find that people in that grouping, including the administration, who fall back on saying "well, it was a holistic decision" to be pretty inconsistent and lacking in integrity/intestinal fortitude.

At least people who step up and say "his record just wasn't good enough" have some consistency that I can respect, if not a level of judgment worth trusting.