Athlon: Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2016

And yet there's Georgia doing the exact same thing to an even higher winning coach... and they got a new top notch coach... and they have the no 4 ranked recruiting class in the country so far this year.

Is Meyer badmouthing them? Nebraska has become an easy target for many people in the college football world who want to keep us down.

Let's wait until Kirby Smart actually does something before labeling him a top notch coach.

And yet there's Georgia doing the exact same thing to an even higher winning coach... and they got a new top notch coach... and they have the no 4 ranked recruiting class in the country so far this year.

Is Meyer badmouthing them? Nebraska has become an easy target for many people in the college football world who want to keep us down.

Let's wait until Kirby Smart actually does something before labeling him a top notch coach.

I agree with that, except that it ignores the fact that he's already done something... he's got the no 4 recruiting class in the country.

• Fire 1

I agree with that, except that it ignores the fact that he's already done something... he's got the no 4 recruiting class in the country.

you could have the no 4 recruiting class if you coached georgia. even with your lack of ability to follow a conversation and going off on random tangents.

• Fire 3

PruN1M.gif

The SEC has always had guys who can recruit, let me know when he wins something that matters.

When someone says that a coach should be fired for not winning anything, someone brings up Osborne... Give me a damn break. It's the past... Stop with the creepy fascination of an old ball coach.

It's called setting expectations based on a reasonable standard.

Although Psycho is the only one who will say it out loud, what many here have ended up arguing is that we are justified in firing any coach who doesn't start off his career with a record equal to a future HOFer (and, imo, the goat).

And that seems really really ill fated to me.

It'

Did NU go to the orange bowl those years? Was NU the highest ranked B8 team at the end of those seasons? Do you guys follow husker football and know any history?

By that logic, Bo won the equivalent of three CCs by going to the CCG.

And if you look back at TO's comments, he talks about not winning one until later and that he was almost fired before the blue bonnet bowl.

I'm still failing to see how Nebraska winning two conference championships and finishing in the Top 10 6/7 of Osborne's first years are, as you put it:

Objectively false.

No Orange Bowl and losing to the co-champ make it hard to claim that you're the conference champion, regardless of how co-championships worked back then. I'm trying to find the quotes now, but TO talked about 1978 being his first conf. championship.

I didn't say anything about the final rankings because I'm familiar with them, though if there'd been a CCG back the, those rankings would have been harder for NU to achieve in the 1970s.

Anyway, as I said in my last post, the effect of your argument is that NU is justified in firing any coach who doesn't start off on the same pace as a HOFer. Because if Bo wins just 1 more game per year, he's very close to the top of his profession (as it was, I think it he was in the top 20% of winningest active coaches during his tenure).

This all goes to a deeper point: If Mike Riley matches Bo's success, we should not fire him - the only downside being he doesn't have the long term prospects a coach in his 40s/early 50s would have.

When someone says that a coach should be fired for not winning anything, someone brings up Osborne... Give me a damn break. It's the past... Stop with the creepy fascination of an old ball coach.

Although Psycho is the only one who will say it out loud, what many here have ended up arguing is that we are justified in firing any coach who doesn't start off his career with a record equal to a future HOFer (and, imo, the goat).

Yep....if that coach acts like a jack ass.

Represent the state and the program well and you have more time.

I find it interesting that you claim his actions were no problem...you were never embarrassed and you thought his side line demeanor was just fine. Meanwhile, his AD...you know, the guy who you and everyone else thinks is awesome....wasn't happy about it either.

But, you will sit here and defend the guy till the end.

PS....I know you're a lawyer but you don't have to practice your defense lawyer act on someone like him.

PruN1M.gif

The SEC has always had guys who can recruit, let me know when he wins something that matters.

He has won something that matters... no 4 in recruiting matters.

Can you imagine what people here would be saying if we had the no 4 in recruiting class ? Yeah... they would be saying it matters. (which I hope we will be again).

And if Kirby Smart is not successful at winning games with that top notch talent... then he will leave behind that top notch talent for the next coach to work with... which will allow them to attract high level coaches.

My original comment on the previous page was a response to an "anonymous coach" basically saying that only Nebraska fired coaches with 9 win seasons and that somehow that means we have a problem... ie,..were doing something bad... we're mean to coaches. That's just not true. We allowed a false "narrative" (saunders45 term that I agree with) to get started and because we never challenged that narrative it became "fact" in the eyes of the football world.

I've always felt that someone in the Nebraska football program should respond to stuff like that... basically stick up for us. We are a football program that is trying to get back to achieving at the highest level. That's what we should be doing. There's nothing wrong with that.

cm, simply for the sake of fun debate:

I'll agree with the point youre making about TO 70's conference championships (tied with OU, but lost to them) being comparable to losing a CCG.

However, maybe instead of comparing victory totals, maybe look at the totality of the losses. Based on where NU teams were ranked compared to their peers (I know: subjectivity), its hard to believe that TO's teams would have equaled the same loss totals as Bo's had TO's teams played the extra games against similarly ranked competition as Bo's.

To me, the "greatness" of each's first 7-seasons don't seem very similar, and that's before even considering the perceived(?) poor attitude,

Yep....if that coach acts like a jack ass.

Represent the state and the program well and you have more time.

I find it interesting that you claim his actions were no problem...you were never embarrassed and you thought his side line demeanor was just fine. Meanwhile, his AD...you know, the guy who you and everyone else thinks is awesome....wasn't happy about it either.

But, you will sit here and defend the guy till the end.

PS....I know you're a lawyer but you don't have to practice your defense lawyer act on someone like him.

Embarrassed and not happy aren't the same thing. I wasn't happy because I know you have to play the PR game as HC, including coddling fans, and I wish he'd been better at playing that game.

But I wasnt embarrassed. Maybe it's a background of a position coach who was rough and time in the military, but his overall style never bothered me because of the way his guys stepped up on and off the field.

what many here have ended up arguing is that we are justified in firing any coach who doesn't start off his career with a record equal to a future HOFer (and, imo, the goat).

This isn't true. What's really happened is that one person here (you) reached for the Osborne comparison first, and then others, in response to your claim, pointed out that it's a ridiculous comparison.

• Fire 5

what many here have ended up arguing is that we are justified in firing any coach who doesn't start off his career with a record equal to a future HOFer (and, imo, the goat).

This isn't true. What's really happened is that one person here (you) reached for the Osborne comparison first, and then others, in response to your claim, pointed out that it's a ridiculous comparison.

Sustained.

• Fire 2