Colin Kaepernick: dbag or not?

Let me check on something....

Yup. Colin Kaepernick is still a douchebag.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/death-threats-police-killings-bolster-kaepernick-s-protest-n652251

He continues with his inflammatory, misguided, misinformed, factless rehetoric:

"They shot and killed a man and walked around like it wasn't a human being," Kaepernick said. "People are being killed and not even being treated as human beings. No one went and checked on him. No one tried to resuscitate him. Nothing. They walked around, went about their business and made up lies to cover up the murder they just committed. That's not right, and they should be in prison for that."

And his "followers" are spreading the lies:

"I do a lot of community service. I go out there and try to help kids and try to encourage them to be better and to aspire to more. And when you tell a kid, 'When you're dealing with police, just put your hands up and comply with everything.' And there's still a chance of them getting shot and no repercussions for anyone, that's an unfortunate time to be living

If you put your hands up and comply with EVERYTHING, you will NOT get shot. When you are ordered to lie down, but you put your hands up and walk back to your car and try to get in it, that is NOT complying.

If someone was unnecessarily shot by police, there WILL be repercussions. But just because someone is killed by police, that doesn't mean an automatic murder conviction. All the evidence and context is looked at.

CK is the Pied Piper of attention-seeking idiots.

• Fire 1

Let me check on something....

Yup. Colin Kaepernick is still a douchebag.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/death-threats-police-killings-bolster-kaepernick-s-protest-n652251

He continues with his inflammatory, misguided, misinformed, factless rehetoric:

"They shot and killed a man and walked around like it wasn't a human being," Kaepernick said. "People are being killed and not even being treated as human beings. No one went and checked on him. No one tried to resuscitate him. Nothing. They walked around, went about their business and made up lies to cover up the murder they just committed. That's not right, and they should be in prison for that."

And his "followers" are spreading the lies:

"I do a lot of community service. I go out there and try to help kids and try to encourage them to be better and to aspire to more. And when you tell a kid, 'When you're dealing with police, just put your hands up and comply with everything.' And there's still a chance of them getting shot and no repercussions for anyone, that's an unfortunate time to be living

If you put your hands up and comply with EVERYTHING, you will NOT get shot. When you are ordered to lie down, but you put your hands up and walk back to your car and try to get in it, that is NOT complying.

If someone was unnecessarily shot by police, there WILL be repercussions. But just because someone is killed by police, that doesn't mean an automatic murder conviction. All the evidence and context is looked at.

CK is the Pied Piper of attention-seeking idiots.

I do agree he's taken it to attention seeking level and that his statements are hyperbolic at best, and more fairly labeled as lies.

I just think it's a really complicated issue. I wish we'd stop talking about the handful of wrongful shootings (and the shooting in Tulsa was wrongful - maybe not "murder" but if a citizen reacted that way, they'd be charged).

It would be better to talk about the overall condition of the justice system and the underlying criminal code that we have. The shootings are an emotional Touchpoint, but I think the real impact on daily lives is the "low intensity" harassment that occurs every day.

Some of it is due to racism. Some of it is the product of an officer's past experience. A lot more of it is due to the incentive structures we've set up. I think you could talk to police and they'd say an action of theirs wasn't meant to be harassing (i.e., no intent), but if you described the action to a reasonable person, they would recognize it as harassing behavior, especially if it happens two or three times.

That's a fundamental disconnect and I think it's what strains relationships between communities and the people paid to protect them.

• Fire 2

I do agree he's taken it to attention seeking level and that his statements are hyperbolic at best, and more fairly labeled as lies.

I just think it's a really complicated issue. I wish we'd stop talking about the handful of wrongful shootings (and the shooting in Tulsa was wrongful - maybe not "murder" but if a citizen reacted that way, they'd be charged).

It would be better to talk about the overall condition of the justice system and the underlying criminal code that we have. The shootings are an emotional Touchpoint, but I think the real impact on daily lives is the "low intensity" harassment that occurs every day.

Some of it is due to racism. Some of it is the product of an officer's past experience. A lot more of it is due to the incentive structures we've set up. I think you could talk to police and they'd say an action of theirs wasn't meant to be harassing (i.e., no intent), but if you described the action to a reasonable person, they would recognize it as harassing behavior, especially if it happens two or three times.

That's a fundamental disconnect and I think it's what strains relationships between communities and the people paid to protect them.

I thought this was a really good post, +1.

Agreed about this Kaepernick thing being an intersection of many other things.

Question for the class, as I really haven't followed the actual stuff he's been saying extremely closely: Has he endorsed black lives matter?

You know.....the entire issue of police and the black community is extremely frustrating to me. I support good police efforts and understand they have a very tough job to do. And...I understand there is, what I consider, a small minority that are bad cops.

However, this issue just pisses me off the more I read or hear about it.

Video shows police pepper-spraying teen girl

There is no way in hell this needed to happen the way it did. These officers need to have their badges taken and never see law enforcement as a job again.

And...yes...I understand she wasn't obeying police officers.

• Fire 1

Agreed, Buster.

Preface to this - I echo those same sentiments by Buster. And I think the vast majority of cops do good, and their pay probably doesn't equate to the degree to which their lives are potentially at stake each day.

But I have been asking questions for a few years now about whether or not escalation tactics are currently being misused or trained in irrational ways by today's police forces. I honestly don't know the answer, and I'm not even sure how to get good data on it to answer the question.

Is it the invention of the dashcam and the fact that everybody has a cell phone to capture every little thing now that inflates the sense that this stuff is happening more nowadays...or is it actually happening more nowadays, where an officer escalates when he/she should have deescalated, etc.? I ask in earnest.

Do you think players (football, basketball, etc.) might sometimes see the referees/officials as being biased against them, condescending, disrespectful, and harassing, when compared to a normal/reasonable person?

Also, has she claimed she mistaked her sidearm for her taser yet?

Just based on the circumstances and tactics, that wouldn't surprise me.

That level of incompetence is still manslaughter, at least.

That's the part that bothers me too. Not clear why she shot when tasers were available. But it's easy for non-police to say there wasn't an immediate threat, when many cops can speak from experience and the umpteen thousand videos out there show it's very easy for an officer to be shot/killed quickly when there doesn't seem to be an immediate threat.

But it still bothers me, and I wish there was better possibility for someone mentally ill or under the influence to survive encounters like that.

You know.....the entire issue of police and the black community is extremely frustrating to me. I support good police efforts and understand they have a very tough job to do. And...I understand there is, what I consider, a small minority that are bad cops.

There is no way in hell this needed to happen the way it did. These officers need to have their badges taken and never see law enforcement as a job again.

You obviously have a strong, passionate opinion about this, and I'm not looking to escalate this into a heated argument, so...Im just asking...

Since you seem so certain it should have been handled much better, to the point that the officers should be fired and banned from the profession (that's pretty extreme -- you must be certain of a sure-fire alternative), How do you suggest the officers detain her?

It seems the officers were in a lose-lose situation here. It is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, correct? How should they have detained her?

And she suffered an injury? A concussion? What do you think would have happened if the officers had not tried to keep her around until they contacted her parents, and she left and succumbed to her injuries? They'd be facing a lawsuit for that. There would probably even be people demanding they be fired and banned from their profession.

It seems they gave the girl plenty of opportunities to restrain herself. For her own safety (and their own liability should she get away and succumb to her injuries), she needed to be fully inside the car. How should have they gotten her feet inside? Shackle her some more? Manhandle her some more to force her inside? I'm pretty sure people would be just as upset about that -- a big, burly cop physically restraining this petite, tiny, little innocent girl with excessive force.

• Fire 1

I agree with your initial assessment as well. It's frustrating that the 99.9% of cops that are busting their butts and risking their own lives everyday are getting a bad rap for a few cops who show poor judgment. With that said, it's equally frustrating to have a segment of the population (including media and some politicians) that continue to escalate the tensions and racial divisiveness in this country. When you look back at Ferguson, all of the evidence shows that the officer (Darren Wilson) was being attacked, yet you have many major networks and political figures on the left stirring up the tension and encouraging the protests, and ultimately you end up with a city being burned down.

The media plays a huge role in shaping this debate as well. Each situation is different, and in some cases if an officer is at fault (as in Tulsa), the system should charge that officer to make the lawful decision. In other situations where it's not clearcut, it's important for the media to not take sides and always make the situation a black vs white case in order to score political points or ratings. Just last week, a black man who had previously made negative comments toward cops ran over cops in Arizona and could easily have killed all 3 officers, yet little media attention was paid to that story. Meanwhile, with the Tulsa situation, it got non-stop coverage around the clock. I wish the media would give just as much attention to those situations where officers are being killed or attempted to be killed as they do the other way around. There is a big difference in intent in nearly all of these situations. In those instances where a cop has shot someone, it's usually for fear and self-defense. These officers are not going around trying to find innocent citizens to go and shoot up. Meanwhile, in instances where an individual shoots or attempts to kill a cop, those are usually intended and pre-meditated events.

Do you think players (football, basketball, etc.) might see the referees/officials as being biased against them, condescending, disrespectful, and harassing, when compared to a normal/reasonable person?

I think that analogy reverses the point.

It would be more like, refs consistently make a bad call, like allowing traveling, because that's become the "norm" (for a variety of reasons). But if an objective fan saw the play, they'd know it was traveling.

Also, has she claimed she mistaked her sidearm for her taser yet?

Just based on the circumstances and tactics, that wouldn't surprise me.

That level of incompetence is still manslaughter, at least.

That's the part that bothers me too. Not clear why she shot when tasers were available. But it's easy for non-police to say there wasn't an immediate threat, when many cops can speak from experience and the umpteen thousand videos out there show it's very easy for an officer to be shot/killed quickly when there doesn't seem to be an immediate threat.

But it still bothers me, and I wish there was better possibility for someone mentally ill or under the influence to survive encounters like that.

I go back and forth in this. On one hand, I have friends who are cops, including major crime areas like east NY, and I want them to go home to their families at night. On the other hand, I consider that we pay cops to perform a duty and assume certain risks in order to make sure citizens go home at night.

They can't be allowed to take on an attitude that any degree of risk justifies potentially lethal force.

Not even in the Middle East under ROE could combatant soldiers and sailors take the kind of actions I've seen taken by domestic police (granted that the wrongful actors are only a small percentage of all LEO).

Did you all see that the Seattle Mariners catcher was suspended without pay for the rest of the season for demonstrating his right to free speech?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/23/steve-clevenger-suspended-racist-charlotte-tweets-seattle-mariners/90908618/

As with Kaepernick, I don't agree with Clevenger's vocal protest, but why should he not have the right to voice his opinion just as CK is doing. Perhaps the NFL and MLB have different contracts. Regardless, I just hate the fact that this country has become so divided in recent years that it's now creeping into sports. When I watch a game, I don't want to have to think about the political motivations of the players I am watching. But, this is Obama's America, and the divisions are deeper than they have been in years.