Colin Kaepernick: dbag or not?

Did you all see that the Seattle Mariners catcher was suspended without pay for the rest of the season for demonstrating his right to free speech?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/23/steve-clevenger-suspended-racist-charlotte-tweets-seattle-mariners/90908618/

As with Kaepernick, I don't agree with Clevenger's vocal protest, but why should he not have the right to voice his opinion just as CK is doing. Perhaps the NFL and MLB have different contracts. Regardless, I just hate the fact that this country has become so divided in recent years that it's now creeping into sports. When I watch a game, I don't want to have to think about the political motivations of the players I am watching. But, this is Obama's America, and the divisions are deeper than they have been in years.

Obama's America? Are you for real here? Atheletes have been politically active since before I can remember.

Also, has she claimed she mistaked her sidearm for her taser yet?

Just based on the circumstances and tactics, that wouldn't surprise me.

That level of incompetence is still manslaughter, at least.

That's the part that bothers me too. Not clear why she shot when tasers were available. But it's easy for non-police to say there wasn't an immediate threat, when many cops can speak from experience and the umpteen thousand videos out there show it's very easy for an officer to be shot/killed quickly when there doesn't seem to be an immediate threat.

But it still bothers me, and I wish there was better possibility for someone mentally ill or under the influence to survive encounters like that.

I go back and forth in this. On one hand, I have friends who are cops, including major crime areas like east NY, and I want them to go home to their families at night. On the other hand, I consider that we pay cops to perform a duty and assume certain risks in order to make sure citizens go home at night.

They can't be allowed to take on an attitude that any degree of risk justifies potentially lethal force.

Not even in the Middle East under ROE could combatant soldiers and sailors take the kind of actions I've seen taken by domestic police (granted that the wrongful actors are only a small percentage of all LEO).

Guess you read the "famous" social media post that was posted by a "combat" veteran about ROE. It's not as black and white as it seems if you ask a veteran that's actually been involved in combat.

Read the article below for a perfect explanation on the situation.

https://stevenhildreth.com/2016/09/22/debunking-a-combat-veterans-take-on-escalation-of-force/

You know.....the entire issue of police and the black community is extremely frustrating to me. I support good police efforts and understand they have a very tough job to do. And...I understand there is, what I consider, a small minority that are bad cops.

However, this issue just pisses me off the more I read or hear about it.

Video shows police pepper-spraying teen girl

There is no way in hell this needed to happen the way it did. These officers need to have their badges taken and never see law enforcement as a job again.

And...yes...I understand she wasn't obeying police officers.

This is the problem with today's society, it's the officers fault, not the girls fault, yet she's the one who is resisting the officers who are trying to get her to stay there and her actions escalated the situation. I'm not saying I'm a fan of spraying the girl in the back of the vehicle, but she refused to put her legs in the vehicle. It's possible that the department's SOP's state, officers can do this there and they've been trained that way with the Chief of Police supporting their actions there. It comes down to one simple word folks................comply.

• Fire 2

You know.....the entire issue of police and the black community is extremely frustrating to me. I support good police efforts and understand they have a very tough job to do. And...I understand there is, what I consider, a small minority that are bad cops.

There is no way in hell this needed to happen the way it did. These officers need to have their badges taken and never see law enforcement as a job again.

This is the problem with today's society, it's the officers fault, not the girls fault, yet she's the one who is resisting the officers who are trying to get her to stay there and her actions escalated the situation. I'm not saying I'm a fan of spraying the girl in the back of the vehicle, but she refused to put her legs in the vehicle. It's possible that the department's SOP's state, officers can do this there and they've been trained that way with the Chief of Police supporting their actions there. It comes down to one simple word folks................comply.

We're talking about a 15 year old girl who was just hit by a car. Here's another simple word: adapt. If you're a police officer you should adapt to the situation at hand. There were many actions leading up to the spraying that showed these officers were not using their brains.

• Fire 2

Also, has she claimed she mistaked her sidearm for her taser yet?

Just based on the circumstances and tactics, that wouldn't surprise me.

That level of incompetence is still manslaughter, at least.

That's the part that bothers me too. Not clear why she shot when tasers were available. But it's easy for non-police to say there wasn't an immediate threat, when many cops can speak from experience and the umpteen thousand videos out there show it's very easy for an officer to be shot/killed quickly when there doesn't seem to be an immediate threat.

But it still bothers me, and I wish there was better possibility for someone mentally ill or under the influence to survive encounters like that.

I go back and forth in this. On one hand, I have friends who are cops, including major crime areas like east NY, and I want them to go home to their families at night. On the other hand, I consider that we pay cops to perform a duty and assume certain risks in order to make sure citizens go home at night.

They can't be allowed to take on an attitude that any degree of risk justifies potentially lethal force.

Not even in the Middle East under ROE could combatant soldiers and sailors take the kind of actions I've seen taken by domestic police (granted that the wrongful actors are only a small percentage of all LEO).

Guess you read the "famous" social media post that was posted by a "combat" veteran about ROE. It's not as black and white as it seems if you ask a veteran that's actually been involved in combat.

Read the article below for a perfect explanation on the situation.

https://stevenhildreth.com/2016/09/22/debunking-a-combat-veterans-take-on-escalation-of-force/

No. I spent three deployments in the Middle East in the early and mid 2000s. I haven't seen a post, but I'll read the article.

When I watch a game, I don't want to have to think about the political motivations of the players I am watching.

Yeah, when I watch sports I don't want to be reminded that those are actual real human beings with their own thoughts and beliefs and convictions and personalities either. I would much rather they just shut up and be exploited for their physical abilities for my own enjoyment. No need to actually talk, or think, or share, or care about anything. Just do the thing with the ball and get the points so I'm happy.

I skimmed through the article and I agree with much of his fact based comments explaining the use of force rules. He could have saved his editorials. And his statement that in 2004 you could shoot any male aged male is a lie, unless he's talking about action during direct contact during the invasion or subsequently during the various battles against militias and insurgencies.

That said, I don't think every police shooting has been improper, even when a gun wasn't found or they shot a kid who had a fake gun.

but certain ones are definitely wrong and would have violated ROE and common decency, like the shooting of the guy sitting on the street with his hands up helping an autistic kid or a guy not complying with orders but also not being threatening or a guy running from a cop and then the cop trying to stage a scene after shooting him in the back.

Can you at least admit those situations were wrongful?

Or do you believe there is no problem and people are overreacting?

It comes down to one simple word folks................comply.

No matter what, or else.

It's scary that some think we should live in such a totalitarian state.

People seem to forget that we pay our police and they serve at our pleasure. A badge isn't a license to act as a dictator.

Luckily 99.999% of police do a great job and exercise sound judgment in tough situations day in and day out.

We're talking about a 15 year old girl who was just hit by a car. Here's another simple word: adapt. If you're a police officer you should adapt to the situation at hand. There were many actions leading up to the spraying that showed these officers were not using their brains.

Please, pick up an app and show us all how it's supposed to be done since you think it could've been handled differently. There is no perfect way to handle something, there are other ways and that's exactly what they are. Just another way to handle something.

It comes down to one simple word folks................comply.

No matter what, or else.

Another fantastic post LOMS *slow clap* You simply CAN'T argue that a majority of these situations would've went completely different if those folks simply complied and let our legal system work. Of course that doesn't fit the narrative that cops are out-of-control racists simply out to kill any minority they come across in your eyes. You say the system isn't fair to minorities. Then blame the courts and your legislators because they're the ones that are the problem. The cops are simply working within the laws they are given and enforcing them. After that it's out of our hands........

• Fire 2

I skimmed through the article and I agree with much of his fact based comments explaining the use of force rules. He could have saved his editorials. And his statement that in 2004 you could shoot any male aged male is a lie, unless he's talking about action during direct contact during the invasion or subsequently during the various battles against militias and insurgencies.

That said, I don't think every police shooting has been improper, even when a gun wasn't found or they shot a kid who had a fake gun.

but certain ones are definitely wrong and would have violated ROE and common decency, like the shooting of the guy sitting on the street with his hands up helping an autistic kid or a guy not complying with orders but also not being threatening or a guy running from a cop and then the cop trying to stage a scene after shooting him in the back.

Can you at least admit those situations were wrongful?

Or do you believe there is no problem and people are overreacting?

Never said those situations weren't wrongful. The problem is those situations are cherry picked and used to paint a broad picture of officer involved shootings generally speaking. I refuse to allow folks in here to take their anger out of me for these situations and that's what happens. I'm a person too folks, whether you like that or not. Those folks can literally go fly a kite because I'm not going to be the whipping boy.