Colin Kaepernick: dbag or not?

Okay, so his protest and not standing is an empty gesture.

But isn't standing for the national anthem before a sporting event just as equally an empty gesture? What does that accomplish? People have already been supporting our country for years. Gee....did that help anyone?

But isn't standing for the national anthem before a sporting event just as equally an empty gesture? What does that accomplish? People have already been supporting our country for years. Gee....did that help anyone?

Guess it depends on how someone is raised as well as what decade you were born?

The old saying is; "Respect is earned, not a given"

Today's society has a hard time recognizing the difference.

Why should anyone remove their hats inside a place of worship? What does that accomplish? God can still see them with their hat on.

Or at a funeral/wake/procession? Its an empty gesture. The person is already dead. They aren't around to object. Removing your hat or being quiet/somber is not helping them.

Why should anyone remove their hats inside a place of worship? What does that accomplish? God can still see them with their hat on.

Or at a funeral/wake/procession? Its an empty gesture. The person is already dead. They aren't around to object. It's not helping them.

I completely agree with both of those things.

Or at a funeral/wake/procession? Its an empty gesture. The person is already dead. They aren't around to object. It's not helping them.

So, showing basic, remedial levels of respect by conforming to accepted social constructs is not important?

Maybe you should go to that church naked and and eating a box of tacos or show up at that funeral with a boom box blaring on your shoulder. I mean nothing matters, right?

• Fire 2

Then you also probably agree it's an empty gesture for Disney to no longer make jokes about crocs eating kids on the Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro Safari?

• Fire 1

I posted the following in another thread in regards to playing the national anthem before sporting contests.

This is a pretty interesting article surrounding the playing of the national anthem during sporting events.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine

If you don't want to click, at it's core, the Star Spangled Banner is a battle song (and sports are a "battle") that basically taunts someone (in the case of the song, Britain) and then tells them to look at the flag (aka "Scoreboard.")

It also has a lot of history steeped in baseball, and a lot of Americans felt even more tied to the anthem following 9/11 and some of the incredible displays of patriotism that happened at sporting events following those attacks.

• Fire 1

Gonna say something unpopular here.

It always seems weird to me when the Huskers carry the American flag out onto the field. They're playing a sport. It's not blessed by God or by the country. We build up sports to a weird level of importance.

(Btw - I know they got the flag from someone in the military who spoke to them a few years ago)

I feel the same way about my neighbors, who fly an American flag almost every day.

It's just a normal day, not even a holiday or special event. Their home isn't blessed by God or their country. Do they think they are better than the rest of us?

;)

So, showing basic, remedial levels of respect by conforming to accepted social constructs is not important?

Maybe you should go to that church naked and and eating a box of tacos or show up at that funeral with a boom box blaring on your shoulder. I mean nothing matters, right?

It's not that it's not a good idea (I try to be sensitive to my cultural surroundings as much as anyone), it's that if someone decides not to do it intentionally and with a purpose, or even if it's just on accident/out of ignorance, it shouldn't be considered a big deal.

Showing up to a funeral with a boom box blaring on your shoulder is, at least I'm guessing, only done to be reactionary. I can't say if that is what CK is doing. He's done this all pre-season without anyone noticing, so it doesn't seem at least on first glance like he's just trying to be contrarian for the sake of attention. Seems more like he's making a personal decision, and he can't exactly stop people from seeing him make that decision in a stadium full of people. I don't think they're the same thing.