Athletic Department Cuts Back Cars, Memberships for Coaches

Mavric

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln athletic department has dropped country clubs and health clubs as benefits for administrators, coaches and staffers, and cut back on the number of cars it provides.

The Husker athletic department awarded club memberships to 37 staffers and administrators in 2013 and this year gave out none, according to a list provided by the University of Nebraska’s central administration in Lincoln.

UNL Chancellor Ronnie Green has no club membership, either, whereas in 2013, then-UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman had a membership to the Country Club of Lincoln.

At the University of Nebraska at Omaha, the number of administrators and staffers receiving those perks are somewhat similar to those given in 2013.

Jack Gould of Common Cause, a watchdog organization, called it “a rather remarkable reduction in the number of cars and country club memberships” under UNL Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst. Gould made the records requests this year and in 2013 that led to disclosure of those benefits in the NU system of campuses. The World-Herald covered the 2013 disclosure and published a list of those receiving the benefits.

The money for country clubs and cars typically comes from private sources, such as the NU Foundation and booster clubs.

OWH

How are they supposed to afford country club dues on their meager salaries? I'm surprised there's not a riot down on Stadium Drive.

I honestly had no clue that memberships were a benefit in the past.

The cars and country club memberships were holdovers from the old days when the head coaches weren't making CEO salaries. Plus, I am sure it wasn't a big deal for a car dealership to give the coach use of a vehicle so they can say "Hey, we sold Devaney that Cadillac you always see him, as he drives through campus."

For those who are wondering, yes, Devaney would drive through campus on the big student walk ways, because he didn't want to deal with Lincoln's crappy road system as he was trying to get to his office in the South Stadium complex.

How are they supposed to afford country club dues on their meager salaries? I'm surprised there's not a riot down on Stadium Drive.

The cars and country club memberships were holdovers from the old days when the head coaches weren't making CEO salaries. Plus, I am sure it wasn't a big deal for a car dealership to give the coach use of a vehicle so they can say "Hey, we sold Devaney that Cadillac you always see him, as he drives through campus."

For those who are wondering, yes, Devaney would drive through campus on the big student walk ways, because he didn't want to deal with Lincoln's crappy road system as he was trying to get to his office in the South Stadium complex.

you mean in the days they were making 6 figures instead of 7, in which due to inflation, is really no different anyway?

Poor folks. I really feel for them.

you mean in the days they were making 6 figures instead of 7, in which due to inflation, is really no different anyway?

A $3 million salary in 2016 is not the equivalent of $23,000 in 1972, which was Tom Osborne's salary as head coach of Nebraska. I know there is inflation, but it hasn't been 11.7%, which is what you are implying.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/timeline-tom-osborne/article_28a0e520-48f1-5d18-991c-00fef0dec26a.html

• Fire 1

A $3 million salary in 2016 is not the equivalent of $23,000 in 1972, which was Tom Osborne's salary as head coach of Nebraska. I know there is inflation, but it hasn't been 11.7%, which is what you are implying.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/timeline-tom-osborne/article_28a0e520-48f1-5d18-991c-00fef0dec26a.html

I had no idea Osborne's salary was that low.

I had no idea Osborne's salary was that low.

That was a LOT of money at the time; ~$125k in today's money depending on calculation used. That's great income for a 35 year-old given the Average Household income in 1973 was ~$10k or so.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

http://www.bls.gov/opub/uscs/1972-73.pdf

Good timing assuming it was done before the DUI ticket/accident. The University not on the hook for the vehilce or anything. No liability there. This is the VERY BEST reason to discontinue furnishing vehicles to employees and so on. Now the memberships? Never made any sense to me. Now letting the employees use the facilities and free entry passes to all events, etc makes perfect sense. Really doesn't cost anything to let them in free and I would say it should be a condition of employment that all staff and coaches must attend a fixed number of other sports' events, etc.