Dirk Article - This Generation needs a signature season

TGHusker

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/chatelain-huskers-need-signature-season-to-hook-s-born-kids/article_a23bf839-c53c-5e4e-bdff-370342698775.html

I thought this was a good article. I've often wonder what it is like being someone under 25 years old and not being able to remember the NU of legends 1962-2001.

My first remembrance of NU football while in grade school was watching NU win their 1st NCG against LSU in 1970. I'm sure those in their 20s and teens get tired of

hearing about 'the good old days' when they have experience very few of these days.

I would like to see nothing better than NU surprising the Big 10 and the national writers and making this a year to remember.

GO BIG RED. WIN THE CONF CHAMPIONSHIP AND MAKE THE PLAYOFF.

• Fire 3

I can relate. i was about 7-8 when I really started paying attention. We were decent, but not great. about 1990 or so. Losing to Colorado. Losing to Oklahoma. Getting whopped by anyone with a single digit ranking. Miami, Washington, Florida St, Ga Tech, etc. Not really understanding (since I was too young to remember the '86s, '87's and such) how good Nebraska is supposed to be. Not that it's the same as what younger folks now have seen, for it's literally been decades, but my age i think allowed me to fall right in that little spot of mediocrity before the greatest run ever. I remember in 1993 when we cracked the top 5. Being in shock. Wow. Were almost #1!!. It was like something I never dreamed of happeneing. Then of course my elders telling me about the scoring explosion, game of the century, and how great Nebraska is supposed to be. So I guess I can relate to that feeling of unknown.

• Fire 1
Nebraska needs an opportunity, he says, and maybe a dose of good fortune. Michigan State wasn’t better than Ohio State in 2015, but the Spartans won the Big Ten. Get to Indianapolis, and anything can happen. The Huskers just need to clear the psychological hurdle.

After the debacle that was last year we're overdue for the ball to bounce our way. Several times, I'd say. So let's peel off a 10 win regular season and get to Indy! GBR!! :koolaid2:

Pretty good article by Dirk. :thumbs:

“I’m of the belief that if Urban Meyer went anywhere in the country or Nick Saban went anywhere in the country or Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw, they would win because they’re just great at this. If any one of those guys went to Nebraska, they’re in the top 5 every year. So it’s just a matter of getting the right guy. They’re hard to find.”

This quote sticks out like a sore thumb. If this really was the case then Saban's stats at Michigan State would look a lot better than they did. If this really was the case, Urban Meyer would be strolling up and down the sideline at his "dream" job at Notre Dame rather than being in Ohio. I don't really have a comment on Harbaugh or Shaw other than just one simple question: how many NCs have they won? I have quite a list of coaches who have actually won one or more NCs that were fired or showed the door because they were perceived as bad coaches.

You don't just plug in a perceived great coach and expect championships to follow. For as great as TO ended up being, it took decades.

I agree completely with this. We are headed for Minnesota territory.

This brings back what I was thinking around the time Riley was hired. An uptick in performance was needed when Bo was fired nearly as bad as it is now, and the administration chose to go with an extremely safe hire. I am liking Riley quite a bit, and I have a decent amount of hope for the future based on what (good things) I've seen this offseason including recruiting. But damn, Joel Klatt gets what seems so obvious to me. The right guy at the helm, a guy that can bring success and excitement within four or five years, is the only thing that is going to improve the situation. If Riley is that guy, it will prove to be a genius hire based on his age and general personality. It just doesn't seem that likely to me. The big decision makers do want to get back to being a successful team... right?

Anyway folks that's just what's on my mind.

• Fire 1

My hope is that Riley is a step hire, the plan being to bring him in for a few years to recruit & develop talent, making the gig look that much more enticing to a splash hire. Riley retires in good grace (and allays the opprobrium that comes from firing a nine-win coach (twice)) and we get The Next Big Thing.

If Riley puts together a great season or two while he's at it, all the better.

The disaster will be if he has another season like last year, loses some or all of the recruiting class he's putting together, and we slip another rung or two down the ladder.

• Fire 1

My hope is that Riley is a step hire, the plan being to bring him in for a few years to recruit & develop talent, making the gig look that much more enticing to a splash hire. Riley retires in good grace (and allays the opprobrium that comes from firing a nine-win coach (twice)) and we get The Next Big Thing.

If Riley puts together a great season or two while he's at it, all the better.

The disaster will be if he has another season like last year, loses some or all of the recruiting class he's putting together, and we slip another rung or two down the ladder.

Definitely. Unfortunately, my view is that if we hired a young up-and-coming type of coach, he may put in three successful seasons and then be poached by an Alabama, Ohio State, or Texas. It's great that we don't have to worry about that with Riley. But he needs to win this year.

Sure the right coach is needed, but the right coach is not the same for every program. Of the 4 coaches he listed the only one that I might see jumping to Nebraska would be David Shaw and I don't think that is a real possibliity.

I hope MR really has some success over the next 4-5 years. I hope he can get a B1G Championship in that time frame. I want to see him be successfull. He is doing all the right things off the field, now he needs to make it happen on the field.

I'm to the point I laugh out loud when people say that Harbaugh has brought Michigan back. They have had one season with him.

I put that up there with Bo Pelini exclaiming Nebraska's back after beating Arizona in 09.

It drives me nuts how the narrative with Michigan is that they are a top flight program that rightly attracts a well-known, successful coach with more national championships coming (this is the team with one disputed championship after 1950). And PS they're back baby! After one year of Harbaugh! Yet Nebraska is crazy to expect wins and a good coach to come to town. You can't run a football program in Nebraska!!!

How did this happen? I swear I'm being gaslighted with this Michigan business. People are buying it up, and it's like BAM Michigan is a powerhouse again! Obviously they need to actually win the games, but they are getting a huge assist with this. Am I crazy for thinking this?