A thought on a fix for penalties.

For years this has been something that has plagued the Huskers.

Simply, I'd like there to be progressive consequences when it comes to making them. Just because I'm tired of the dumb ones that are selfish. Taunting, or something unsportsmanlike should result in a loss of a seresponse.

Personal fouls like facemask or something should be 3 plays. As the penalty is less severe the consequences should be a loss of a play. Kind of like hockey.

This shouldn't be a team thing, but a conference or league thing, there is just to much non play related penalties these days. But doing it for all would make much more cleaner games if the consequences where as such.

Just a thought. Do you think it would work?

• Fire 2

For years this has been something that has plagued the Huskers.

Simply, I'd like there to be progressive consequences when it comes to making them. Just because I'm tired of the dumb ones that are selfish. Taunting, or something unsportsmanlike should result in a loss of a seresponse.

Personal fouls like facemask or something should be 3 plays. As the penalty is less severe the consequences should be a loss of a play. Kind of like hockey.

This shouldn't be a team thing, but a conference or league thing, there is just to much non play related penalties these days. But doing it for all would make much more cleaner games if the consequences where as such.

Just a thought. Do you think it would work?

Sounds like you've been living in a cave, man.

• Fire 1

I was listening to Big Red Overreaction Saturday and Damon Benning brought up a good point.

When you look at penalties - particularly 15-yarders - they're not all created equal. One of the Davis twins got flagged with a late-hit. He's a young player and was maybe half a step to a step too late. It's a teaching moment and is one of those things likely to happen with a young player.

Gerry's unsportsmanlike penalty was inexcusable and not befitting of a player at this level. It was relatively harmless - yes, but he still needs to be better than that.

Carter's block in the back was also not befitting of a veteran player, but if you watch the play, he realized (albeit late) that he was making a mistake.

My point is that each one was a different situation and needs a different kind of response. A lot of penalties tend to happen when a player gets beat or is in a bad position. You also have to keep in mind that penalties like taunting happen more often these days, in part, because they're enforced more often. There's a lot of things players aren't getting away with nowadays and a brief lapse in judgement can cost you a lot.

• Fire 1

The taunting / excessive celebration / unnecessary roughness after the whistle penalties aren't "heat of the battle, trying to make a play" type mistakes, they are an attitude or mindset that can be purged rather easily. Someone named Riley just has to take hold of the problem and deal with it before it bites him and his team in the butt.

For a thousand bucks and gas money, I can drive down the next home game and will make sure no player will EVER commit a second stupid foul, if given the authority to remedy it. As the Army used to say: "We can't make you do anything you don't want to do, but we can sure make you wish you would have."

Most coaches impose discipline by way of extra work outs (stairs, wind sprints, laps, chores, etc. or if need be then penalize the player with loss of playing time, etc, and finally with dismissal from the team. Alex Lewis probably had more mindnumbing penalties than any player in recent times (maybe ever that I recall). I would have benched him as he was getting false start penalties almost every game it seemed as a multi-year starter and senior. Hell, I recall he had his usual one at a key moment in the UCLA bowl game. I don't think an NFL team would tolerate this. It can happen to anyone now and then, but not regular as clockwork. This is a lack of attentiveness and siimply not caring about the team and its success.

Many of these penalties are simply not focusing on your task at hand. There needs to be internal penalties. The players need to discipline each other as it is impacting the success of the team as a whole. The "Unity Council" or whatever the players' union or org is called needs to step in and say enough is enough and enforce the penalty box.