Grading Confidence Level against the Ducks

TGHusker

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone, I've missed the 1st 2 games due to family commitments and so I only have a few short videos to base my confidence level off of. I wanted to ask you how does this team today

compare to the NU team that ended last season wt a win over MSU, a almost win wt Iowa and the win over UCLA. If you were to grade the Offense, Defense, & ST play after 2 games what grade would you give each area.

I couldn't add a 4th & 5th Question but you can comment on these:

What grade would you give the coaching staff at this point?

What is your confidence level going into the Oregon game?

High - we should win if we play well,

Neutral - could go one way or another, or

Low - We don't match up well and this is a likely defeat.

I plan on being at the Okla Cornhusker Club on Sat with over 100 (hopefully closer to 200) fans to watch the game.

Thanks

• Fire 1

I like the coaching staff and have seen improvement thus far this year. I think HCMR will get the ship righted for us to compete for the B1G. Our special teams play (return team) has not shown itself yet. Jury still out.

If we play up to our potential, put a W in the win column. Oregon's speed is what concerns me a bit Our D vs. their O. But will see.

Enjoy yourself TG! Be loud and fanatical.

For the record, I put us at:

B on Offense

B on Defense

C on Special Teams. We are solid with our PATs, FGs, & Kick offs. Our return game and punt team is where we have to pick it up.

To me, a grade of A would be like us playing against a vastly over matched non power 5 team. That's NOT what is coming to town on Saturday.

Offense = B = I believe our offense will be able to move the ball and score TDs. We have way too many weapons on the offense for Oregon's D to be that successful.

Defense = C = This isn't a knock on the Defense. It's just a middle of the road grade. 99% of the defenses in the country would get a similar grade (or lower) against Oregon.

Special Teams = B = Yes...i know...our punt return teams have not shown up yet. But, I'm pretty confident in the rest of our special teams. Special teams is more than just punt returns.

• Fire 1

From what I've seen so far I'd grade the offense at a high B, the defense at a high C, and special teams at a low C. I don't have many concerns on offense other than line inconsistency and TA's decision making (at times). I do think that TA appears to be improved in that area from last year, but the opposition hasn't been very good to this point so it is hard to say. Defensively, I think we've looked quite a bit better than last year, but again it has been against lessor opponents - I am concerned that Oregon will be able to pick apart our secondary, at least at times. Right now I'd expect us to have to score 40 to get the win. We will likely have to have a very clean game.

Special teams... generally not very good. Kickoff returns have been ok, and I think our coverage has been ok, but punting has suffered and punt returns have been completely nonexistent.

To me, a grade of A would be like us playing against a vastly over matched non power 5 team. That's NOT what is coming to town on Saturday.

Offense = B = I believe our offense will be able to move the ball and score TDs. We have way too many weapons on the offense for Oregon's D to be that successful.

Defense = C = This isn't a knock on the Defense. It's just a middle of the road grade. 99% of the defenses in the country would get a similar grade (or lower) against Oregon.

Special Teams = B = Yes...i know...our punt return teams have not shown up yet. But, I'm pretty confident in the rest of our special teams. Special teams is more than just punt returns.

You're right, like those 17 yd punts!

Offense - B - One game was ground heavy and next was pass heavy. Both weeks we looked pretty good. Would've been an A if the OL had played better in the first half of the Wyoming game.

Defense - C - Still giving up easy passing plays but you can see the improvement. Could get bumped to a B or A depending on the game this weekend.

Special Teams - F - No explanation needed.

Since scheduling this game I was certain Nebraska would lose, however, as the game gets closer and I have seen each teams 2 games, I am getting a little more confident Nebraska might actually pull this off. Honestly this is a toss up and could go either way. We will probably know within the first 5 mintues of this game how it is going to go. Either Oregon comes out firing on all cylinders and runs away with it, or Nebraska shows they were well prepared for the game and gets a couple stops to the Ducks.

The hard part is, at any given time, Oregon's offense can explode and put up a ton of points. You must remain disciplined the entire game.

You're right, like those 17 yd punts!

And we are 13th in the country on kickoff returns, 100% (1 for 1) on field goals with a veteran place kicker that I have confidence in.

Offense - B - Really not sure what to rank this. On one hand, we've done well against lesser competition. On the other, I think we're going to have to be different/better against better teams. So I split the difference and went with B.

Defense - A - Might be reaching a bit here as I think our pass defense is still a work in progress. But I actually think we have the chance to get better now that we're running a lot more Cover 3. I had no confidence in our Quarters coverage.

Special Teams - C - Punt and Punt Return get an F. Kickoff, Kick Return and PAT/FG get an A. C overall.

Offense-C...more like a C+ but if we're grading this on confidence I have 0 confidence every time Tommy throws the ball. Threw a bad pick on first and goal in the red zone this past week. If he throws it over 30 times this game I think we're in trouble.

Defense- A. The defense from last year to this year is night and day. I know it's Wyoming and Fresno State, but they couldn't get ANYTHING going running up the middle. Also the pass defense is very much improved from one of the worst pass defenses in the nation last year. Sure the corners get beat sometimes, but that's going to happen. For the most part they have done a great job stopping the big plays. The one bad play this season was that touchdown Wyoming had before halftime.

Special Teams- D. This is mostly based on how bad the punt game has looked. Seems to be at least one big mistake a game from this unit. Kicking game has been good which keeps it from a F.

Offense - B - One game was ground heavy and next was pass heavy. Both weeks we looked pretty good. Would've been an A if the OL had played better in the first half of the Wyoming game.

Defense - C - Still giving up easy passing plays but you can see the improvement. Could get bumped to a B or A depending on the game this weekend.

I just wanna point something out. Wyoming game wasnt pass heavy. i think this is a bit misconceived cuz the run game was very incosistent and mostly unsuccessful and the pass game was extremely successful and mostly explosive.

We ran the ball 43 times and passed 35. Thats 55/45

• Fire 1

I just wanna point something out. Wyoming game wasnt pass heavy. i think this is a bit misconceived cuz the run game was very incosistent and mostly unsuccessful and the pass game was extremely successful and mostly explosive.

We ran the ball 43 times and passed 35. Thats 55/45

Maybe I'm in the minority.

But, when someone says "pass heavy", I take that as either meaning, we passed the ball a majority of the time or we had the majority of our success passing the ball. It's not necessarily one or the other.

I like the coaching staff and have seen improvement thus far this year. I think HCMR will get the ship righted for us to compete for the B1G. Our special teams play (return team) has not shown itself yet. Jury still out.

If we play up to our potential, put a W in the win column. Oregon's speed is what concerns me a bit Our D vs. their O. But will see.

Enjoy yourself TG! Be loud and fanatical.

For the record, I put us at:

B on Offense

B on Defense

C on Special Teams. We are solid with our PATs, FGs, & Kick offs. Our return game and punt team is where we have to pick it up.

One it comes to the Husker watch parties - I'm always loud and fanatical!! GBR :restore2:bigredn::bonesflag:

Could you possibly point out the easy pass plays we are giving up. If you mean when a guy catches a 4-5 yard pass and is then tackled immediately which we have seen a lot of this year, I think you need to reevaluate your idea of what good pass defense is.

Offense B

Defense B+

ST C+ overall. Good KO, KR, Pat/FG Punt return needs work, and Punt team needs the punter to relax and kick the ball like he knows he can.

Could you possibly point out the easy pass plays we are giving up. If you mean when a guy catches a 4-5 yard pass and is then tackled immediately which we have seen a lot of this year, I think you need to reevaluate your idea of what good pass defense is.

Offense B

Defense B+

ST C+ overall. Good KO, KR, Pat/FG Punt return needs work, and Punt team needs the punter to relax and kick the ball like he knows he can.

Personally I think pass defense still needs a little work. Has it improved? Yes, but still think an experienced QB would put up numbers.

IMO.