ESPN: Is Nebraska back?

Saunders

Ohio State has superior recruiting but it's netted them 1 undefeated national championship season in my lifetime. I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs. I also don't care what someone from their stuck up fanbase says. We aren't back, whatever that means, but I don't care about their opinion.

Really?

You wouldn't trade 5-6, 8-4, 9-5, 5-7, 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, 9-4, 6-7 with no top 10 finishes, no major bowl appearances, no major bowl wins, no conference championships, and no national championships, for

8-4, 10-2, 12-1, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, 12-1, 6-7, 12-0, 12-2, 14-1, 12-1 with 9 top 10 finishes, 7 major bowl appearances, 5 major bowl wins, 5 conference championships, 3 national championship appearances and 1 national championship?

Ohio State has superior recruiting but it's netted them 1 undefeated national championship season in my lifetime. I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs. I also don't care what someone from their stuck up fanbase says. We aren't back, whatever that means, but I don't care about their opinion.

Really?

You wouldn't trade 5-6, 8-4, 9-5, 5-7, 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, 9-4, 6-7 with no top 10 finishes, no major bowl appearances, no major bowl wins, no conference championships, and no national championships, for

8-4, 10-2, 12-1, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, 12-1, 6-7, 12-0, 12-2, 14-1, 12-1 with 9 top 10 finishes, 7 major bowl appearances, 5 major bowl wins, 5 conference championships, 3 national championship appearances and 1 national championship?

Is that what I said? I said I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs. I didn't say I wouldn't trade the past 13 years. Did the two teams come into being in 2003? OSU has never had a run like the one we had, which I lived through and was cognizant of. So of course I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs.

• Fire 2

Really?

Is that what I said? I said I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs. I didn't say I wouldn't trade the past 13 years. Did the two teams come into being in 2003? OSU has never had a run like the one we had, which I lived through and was cognizant of. So of course I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs.

I hate to defend tOSU here, but yes they have and currently are. Their last 15 years are very comparable to our run, and honestly, I think they would have went undefeated in 2012. But regardless..

Really?

I hate to defend tOSU here, but yes they have and currently are. Their last 15 years are very comparable to our run, and honestly, I think they would have went undefeated in 2012. But regardless..

I don't agree with that. National championships matter. Almost doesn't count. They've had 2 in that span, and one of those was with a loss. Alabama has had a run like ours (and arguably better). OSU has not, yet. If in 5 years they've won 1-2 more NC then there's an argument.

I wouldn't trade our achievements for theirs.

• Fire 4

Really?

I don't agree with that. National championships matter. Almost doesn't count. They've had 2 in that span, and one of those was with a loss. Alabama has had a run like ours (and arguably better). OSU has not, yet. If in 5 years they've won 1-2 more NC then there's an argument.

Their achievements in the recent are what is going to keep them atop of where NU wants to be. You can keep sticking to your guns but again. OSU is the superior program. More national titles, higher winning percentage overall. There's really no argument about "achievement". NU has more WINS, but has a 40 games played lead on OSU.

OSU > NU

OSU also has a coach that every kid would at least give some thought about playing for because of his name alone. NU doesn't. OSU is in a hotbed for recruiting. NU isn't. It's not that it isn't close, but c'mon you're acting like OSU has nothing on NU when it's actually the other way around.

This has nothing to do with Oregon so lets not deflect either.

No, but it makes the Buckeye fans who say Nebraska can never compete with OSU wrong. I think that being "back" for Nebraska is competing for titles on a somewhat consistent basis. That takes time. But I'll gladly take the one title and one victory in the meantime.

Sure, but I read the Buckeye fan's comments as talking about prolonged success, not as an impossibility to ever happen in a single season ever again.

Ohio State is the one blue blood that has never really had a down era. They've been incredibly fortunate, but outside of 2011 they've barely ever been a sub-top 15 team. That used to be us, but now we're on a 16 year down stretch. There's not a ton of evidence that we'll ever consistently be a top-15 program regularly competing for titles again.

Where did this come from? go back twenty years ago and see what we did and then look at the previous twenty years and see what happened. Their is history in NU alone that shows that this can and should happen.

Really?

Their achievements in the recent are what is going to keep them atop of where NU wants to be. You can keep sticking to your guns but again. OSU is the superior program. More national titles, higher winning percentage overall. There's really no argument about "achievement". NU has more WINS, but has a 40 games played lead on OSU.

OSU > NU

OSU also has a coach that every kid would at least give some thought about playing for because of his name alone. NU doesn't. OSU is in a hotbed for recruiting. NU isn't. It's not that it isn't close, but c'mon you're acting like OSU has nothing on NU when it's actually the other way around.

The bolded part was pretty much written about Florida not so long ago. How did that turn out for them? All it takes is a little adversity and things change in a hurry.

• Fire 1

Really?

OSU > NU

The bolded part was pretty much written about Florida not so long ago. How did that turn out for them? All it takes is a little adversity and things change in a hurry.

BECAUSE URBAN MEYER LEFT.

Urban is one of the best coaches in CFB he's not going to take a team with all that talent and go 6-7

Here's a Q&A interview with myself:

(Me): Is Nebraska a "have" school?

(Me with glasses): Yes IMO, but no longer an "elite" or "top tier". I would describe Nebraska as "second-tier" on a similar level with maybe 15 other schools that regularly appear in the Top-25.

Where has Nebraska been for the last 15 years?

Still 2nd tier, but in the bottom of that group in both recruiting and final rankings. In the 20-35 range.

When will Nebraska be "back"?

I believe that when we are consistently ranked in the 15-25 range in recruiting and in the 10-20 range in final polls we should be considered "back" by our current standards. We could still have a down season here and there, but not a down-cycle like we have had.

Can Nebraska win Conference or National Championships recruiting and playing at that level?

Abso-freaking-lutely! Parity has hurt Nebraska, but it also gives us just as good of a shot to win it all as anybody.

Can Nebraska rise above "second tier" to be considered elite again?

It is possible but not likely. I think that a 2-year or 3-year run in the top 10 once every 10 or 15 years is the most we can hope for, but I for one would be very happy with that.

Really?

OSU > NU

BECAUSE URBAN MEYER LEFT.

Urban is one of the best coaches in CFB he's not going to take a team with all that talent and go 6-7

Didn't he go 7-6 his least season?

Edit: He went 8-5, and Muschamp went 7-6 the next year.

Really?

OSU > NU

You're not talking about the same thing Moraine is.