Fair enough. Admittedly I didn't read all 7 pages, and what I read was mostly about whether they should or shouldn't kneel. I guess it's better that doing a protest in the middle of an interstate blocking traffic, or letting your kids do a walkout in the middle of school day disrupting classroom activities.

• Fire 1

I think so. This one in particular is about as unintrusive as it gets, while actually being quite in-your-face and thought-provoking.

As one of the rare people in the world who just hates getting stuck in traffic, I can only imagine how ticked I'd be if I had encountered a highway-blocking protest. But, then again, the day passes and I'd go back to a life of above-average privilege. It may be the one day in a year, or ever, I have to come face to face with the discontent of those who feel this comparative lack of privilege far more viscerally every day of their lives. Put in that perspective, one disruption becomes a lot more minor than the other.

* Not that I'd be especially happy, ever, in a traffic jam.

also pretty telling that all or most of the self-identified veterans in this thread are supportive of the decision, while a bunch of others are offended for them.

I am supportive of the right to protest regardless of whether or not I agree with the protest itself. I also support the right to condemn and criticize the protests.

In this case, I am neutral on the protest, I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.

Now, block the roadway with your protest? I'll drive right through your protest.

Get MRI's speech in here and shut the f#*k up, PLEASE. The dude was incredibly well spoken, near tears while we spoke about how Husker FANS were saying he should be lynched before the Illinois game. But there isn't a problem?

I'm as conservative as it gets (Trump 2016 baby). The way African Americans are treated in this country right now is ridiculous, particularly lately by law enforcement whose first reaction to a black suspect is to reach for a gun. That is a fact.

Might be the first and last time I +1 a post that includes "Trump 2016 baby."

:D

I couldn't +1 for exactly that reason. That moron fantasizes about ratcheting up the police state, not dialing it down.

• Fire 1

I appreciated Rose-Ivey's statement and these players stand. It takes a lot of courage to do something you know is going to be unpopular. I also support and agree with their cause.

The police state we're allowing (and glorifying) in this country is exactly the type of thing our veterans were fighting against and is counter to the freedoms we claim to protect. During the national anthem is the perfect time to draw attention to the hypocrisy.

I'd rather it not become a distraction for the football team I love, and the season I wait all year for, but that's a pretty high-class problem to have.

• Fire 1

I never want these things to be about outing people, not least because there's no surer way to guarantee those minds will never change.

As bad as these examples are, the protest isn't about the bad eggs who say shocking things on Twitter. The plea for galvanized awareness isn't so we can shame the most publicly vile among us and consider that job done.

I'm glad we can agree the open racists are disgraceful. I'll be gladder when we can let go of some of this determined, collective blindness -- that part of us that insists ideal America is real America, and that scrutiny and activism are getting in the way rather than reflecting the spirit of keeping those ideals in place. It's a powerful -- and unfortunate -- inertial force. But we don't build a better future by entrenching the ways of the present.

• Fire 1

Since these three young men were in Chicago, they should have jumped on the L train and went down south to Cicero Avenue and commune with some others who share the same mindset...

...just as long as they don't wear any Husker red...or any red at all...or any blue. Because the reality that exists outside of kneeling during a football game is that a young black man is 60 times more likely to be killed by someone who looks like himself than he is being killed by a cop. In Chicago, that "60 times more likely" is raised exponentially to be in the thousands.

So after they spend a week in Fuller Park, all three guys can come back and give a report. Nothing like real world, eye witness experience to go with "Monkey see, monkey do", social justice theory. Maybe next game these three can lie face down on the 50 yard line to commemorate every young black man murdered by another young black man because of gangs or drugs..

"communing" with those people does nothing to help the problem. just creates more kumbaya moments among themselves. only a national acknowledgement of the root causes, coupled with strong action towards reversing some of them will stop it. protesting like this brings everyone's attention to it, which is a great first step towards a solution.

Systematic racism is a real thing and it needs to stop.

Drug and gang wars are a real thing and they need to stop. I didn't grow up here in the relatively safe and tranquil confines of Nebraska, the Good Life State.

There was a reason that my entire family moved here one by one out of Illinois, (nine in all) and it wasn't because it's easier to find Husker apparel. I guess some things people can't understand until they experience them, so I'll just chalk this kneeling up as a Hollywood type fad.

I still live in here, and the concepts of Drug and Gang wars and systematic racism are not unrelated. stopping one is not mutually exclusive to stopping the other. having to leave due to drug/gang violence does not make it go away, and it certainly doesn't mean systematic racism and profiling are minor issues.

• Fire 1

I was as upset as anyone over this when Kaepernick did it. But as time has passed and more ive let it go. It is what it is. First off. Its a right to do it. I honor that right. Even though i dont agree with it. Yes. I wish theyd pick a different platform but its their right nonetheless. 2nd. My perspective is that its already beckme so watered down and " the norm" that soonno kne willnotice anyway. Its like thousands rushing to social media to provide worthless prayers after a tragedy that dont accomplish a damn thing but try to get a little attn. this "movement" is not gonna change anything. And sadly, since there are idiots on the other extreme, its poiring fuel on the fire. Poking the bear. Not that thats their intention. But i see how some are seeing it that way. Me? It is what it is. I can think of 6000 more important things to get worked up over than some guys standing "kneeling" for what they believe in.

+1. So they kneel. Now what? Kinda like occupy wall streeet.

Now, you get to ask yourself: "how can i, as an american, help stop systematic racism and profiling? can i admit to myself that it does exist? If i'm not willing or i don't care, why not?"

• Fire 1