While I don't agree at all with what they did, it is still their right to do so. I don't think it makes sense to protest against the exact symbol of the freedoms that allow you to do so, but hey not my circus not my clowns. Again, not saying I agree with their actions or what they are even protesting to begin with but it is their right as americans to do so. I don't think its ok to argue that they should be kicked off the team or suspended or what have you, they have the same right to kneel during the anthem as Tim Tebow had to pray after every touchdown and before/after every game. There were people demanding that he not be allowed to do such things and the NCAA/Florida/NFL did not try to stop him from exercising that right, so it would be pretty crappy to not allow these people the same freedom to exercise their right

When I was growing up I faced racial discrimination on a daily bases. I was attacked verbally and even violently because of the color of my skin. I lived in a very poor part of town and was raised by a single mother. I was ridiculed because I only had one pair of pants and two shirts to wear to school. My sister and I basically raised ourselves because my un-educated mother could not find a good job. She had to take the worst sh!t work she could find just to make ends meet. Gang violence was an occurrence that I saw (and tried to avoid) on a regular basis. There were shootings, stabbings and beatings that took place right in the street just feet from my shabby little run-down apartment. Nobody in my immediate family had ever graduated college so our family ethos was not one of placing importance on education. As such, I didn't do well in high school. While in school, because of my beliefs and outspokeness on social issues, I was often ridiculed not only by fellow students, but by my teachers as well. You see, I went to a high school where the teachers were not like me. In my neighborhood I was regularly pulled over by the police, told to sit on the curb (sometimes handcuffed) and watched by one officer while another basically tore apart the car I was driving. Before I could drive, I was often stopped on the street while walking along minding my own business and called over to a passing police car. The officers would exit and tell me to assume the position with my hands on the hood of the car, feet spread, while they searched me for weapons and contraband. There were no programs for youth in my neighborhood, particularly any specifically designed to help a kid like me who was a racial minority in that neighborhood and therefore didn't really fit in with the goals of those programs that did exist. When I got out of high school, there were no scholarships available. You see, I had to go and hustle and get work to help support my then aging mother, so my job disqualified me for financial needs based scholarships or aid, and there were no scholarships available for people of my race. I know very well what it's like to grow up without privilege. I have lost a job and not gotten others (and not gotten a promotion) because of the color of my skin, and it's very frustrating. However, I have become relatively successful and I owe it all to the opportunities that this country has provided for me.

As others have said, this place is not perfect, I know this better than most people, but it's still the greatest country on earth. I am absolutely in favor of the rights of college students to peacefully protest. However, I don't think they should be disrespectful. I believe that kneeling during the national anthem is a way to purposely show disrespect in order to get a rise out of people. That accomplishes very little and is in reality more divisive at a time when we should be looking for ways to bring people together and make our great nation even greater. If a player has a philosophical or religious reason not to stand before the flag, I'm okay with that. However, I think teams should start to make accommodations for those players so that their opposition doesn't fly in the face of people who are not attempting to do them any harm; but are simply trying to show their love of this great country. I would have no problem with allowing players who just can't stand for the anthem to wait in the locker room until the anthem was over. That way they wouldn't be going against their consciences and at the same time wouldn't be offending others. Of course they wouldn't get the opportunity to be provocative, but perhaps during the national anthem isn't the best time to be provocative.

I have a hard time figuring out what to make of your post. The first half is much needed insight and perspective. The second half seems out of touch and tone deaf.

Here's the thing: Practically all forms of protest are "divisive" and/or "disrespectful". I keep hearing that all these things are divisive and we should be doing things to bring people together... OK well I'm all ears. This sh#t has been going on for a verrrry long time, and not being provocative doesn't really seem to accomplish anything.

The fact that there are people who get more outraged at someone kneeling during the national anthem then they do when people are needlessly killed is pretty f'ing sad. (Not saying this applies to you, just in general)

You can make whatever you want (or don't want). The first half of my post was meant to describe and explain the fact that my opinion on this matter is not reached because I have lived some life of privilege. The truth is exactly the opposite.

I would like to respectfully disagree with your reply. Protests can be done in many ways that are not divisive and not intended to be disrespectful. The people who are taking part in these protests are not helping anything. They are not promoting a productive discussion. This thread is a microcosm of what is happening in the national debate. People are insulting each other back-and-forth, there is no common ground being reached, no insight is achieved, no progress is made; the point they are trying to make is lost in their actions. To say that police abused of power is wrong, is an understatement. But those protests are not getting people to talk about police abuse. They are talking about the fact that these protesters are doing something to offend people who in many cases agree with their point. As I said, it's divisive and it really accomplishes nothing.

Well said California Husker. I agree that the current approach to protesting is creating more divisiveness rather than helping to spotlight whatever cause that is being supported.

Again, isn't it a bit weird that African-Americans are getting shot in front of their children with their hands up, and they have to worry about offending white people with their silent protests?

And again, you have a working model of the 20th century civil rights movement with all the proof you need that successful protests don't go the way the privileged would prefer.

Since you've written many posts suggesting you don't believe the cause is even valid, don't pretend you're merely arguing over the position of the spotlight.

I have consistently argued for common sense, and when a cop is in the wrong, they should be held accountable. Please tell me where I have suggested otherwise. If you are referring to the demonizing of our brave men and women wearing blue in which 99% risk their lives everyday and serve our communities well, yes, I will stand up for them everyday of the week. I do not support cops shooting innocent citizens, nor do I support groups like BLM that have marched on multiple occasions claiming they want dead cops. Blue lives matter, black lives matter, all lives matter.

• Fire 2

What bothers me about this is that these guys are supporting a belief thats a lie.

Kapernick claims the usa oppresses blacks here int he modern ear, never seen it my self but ok. They claim the police shootings are the primary evidence of this, yes there have been some bad ones that are head scratchers but we have seen these incidents with whites too, but the biggest ones that have been protested all the officers involved were cleared. And we ended up finding out the guys that got shot were gang memebers, armed, assaulted or resisted the officer ect.

This whole protest isn't benifiting or changing anything but is promoting a lie. And worse the people that are psuhing this don't seem to catch on that the majority of americans either don't care or are angered by it.

• Fire 2

• I'd argue that no belief is a lie. Its based on experience and feeling.
  • You wouldn't know all about the true oppression of blacks in any era unless you're black.
  • Part of the issue is some of the officers being "cleared" with evidence that does not support that.
  • Doesn't matter if I'm in a gang if I don't threaten you or commit a crime - you've got no reason to do anything to me.
  • Carrying arms in the US is legal - sadly. So just carrying a gun doesn't give you a reason to do anything to me.

It's not a lie. Open your eyes, or at least stop talking; as you're embarrassing yourself. People like you and this perspective (If I don't see it, or if I don't feel it it isn't happening) are a big part of the problem.

• Fire 1

Please show me which of these so called black Americans knew the laws and "complied".

This isn't specifically an answer to your question, but here is proof of racist cultures in at least two big police departments. Let's see how you contort to try and explain this away.

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws. BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression. The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community. The city and the department have also entered into an agreement in principle to work together, with community input, to create a federal court-enforceable consent decree addressing the deficiencies found during the investigation.

Racism in police departments is a lie, is it?

This is a shitshow. MRI is an intelligent guy who is standing up for what he believes in and is presenting it in an absolute professional way. Believe his argument or not but the amount of ridiculous comments launched at him and the two other players who kneeled by this fanbase are terrible . Especially those who haven't walked in their shoes.

/Don't tweet players/recruits

• Fire 6

What bothers me about this is that these guys are supporting a belief thats a lie.

Kapernick claims the usa oppresses blacks here int he modern ear, never seen it my self but ok. They claim the police shootings are the primary evidence of this, yes there have been some bad ones that are head scratchers but we have seen these incidents with whites too, but the biggest ones that have been protested all the officers involved were cleared. And we ended up finding out the guys that got shot were gang memebers, armed, assaulted or resisted the officer ect.

This whole protest isn't benifiting or changing anything but is promoting a lie. And worse the people that are psuhing this don't seem to catch on that the majority of americans either don't care or are angered by it.

"I haven't seen it, therefore, it doesn't exist".

Do you believe in the idea of an afterlife? Or in a supreme deity?

• Fire 1

dont worry this wont happen once trump is president

lolol

Yup. It's unbelievable! I've never seen anything like it!! Except during the first time Colin did it there were Muslims watching football in Trump tower and they cheered!

After draft dodging the Vietnam War, Trump has always stood with hand over his wallet at attention just like the patriot he is!

Get MRI's speech in here and shut the f#*k up, PLEASE. The dude was incredibly well spoken, near tears while we spoke about how Husker FANS were saying he should be lynched before the Illinois game. But there isn't a problem?

I'm as conservative as it gets (Trump 2016 baby). The way African Americans are treated in this country right now is ridiculous, particularly lately by law enforcement whose first reaction to a black suspect is to reach for a gun. That is a fact.

• Fire 5

To all those who are so outraged over these players kneeling:

We're you outraged when the flag hit the ground as the parachutist landed? The flag is never supposed to touch the ground. Do you yell at those who don't take off their hats during the anthem? What about those chatting? Those things are by far more disrespectful.

When these players kneel, they still face the flag and pay attention. Before you decry their protest, learn about what it is about and try to understand. These guys mostly come from an America much different than the one you and I have experience.

Those who are outraged, have as much right to be heard as those who sparked the outrage.

Of course they do. They talk about the players disrespecting the flag. I'm curious if they have the same levels of outrage over other forms of disrespect.

Does it really matter? Each individual is outraged by different things. What outrages you may or may not cause high levels of outrage from your neighbor.

In this particular discussion we are talking about disrespecting our country and the national anthem. That's the subject, how about we stick with it and not try to deflect to other things?

You're right, each of us is outraged by different things. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this particular form of outrage. Some people in this thread say it disrespects veterans. Many veterans (including myself) have said they don't see it like that. The players themselves say they aren't disrespecting anything, just trying to bring attention to their cause.

If it offends you, say so. But don't claim outrage on behalf of someone you don't speak for.

As for my other comparisons, I just wondered why people were still watching football games with convicted felons playing (Vick, Ray Rice, Lawrence Phillips), but were going to quit being fans of players conducting a peaceful (and legal) protest.

• Fire 5

Would you want to be treated the same as the average black person in this country?

Would you want to be treated the same as the average black person in this country?

They've done that study. No white person would trade their privilege.