Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

My main argument is about the fact that protesting in a way that is disrespectful to a ton of people should not be the way to go.

The main argument of many who disagree with you is, name a single way to protest in a way that isn't disrespectful to a ton of people? That is part of the very nature and point of why people protest.

Standing on the side of the street. Sure it wouldn't grab much national attention, but I don't get offended by those. As for one that would grab a ton of national attention, think of something unique, like Kaep did.

Ok, you've got to be trolling now. Nobody is this dumb.

My main argument is about the fact that protesting in a way that is disrespectful to a ton of people should not be the way to go.

The main argument of many who disagree with you is, name a single way to protest in a way that isn't disrespectful to a ton of people? That is part of the very nature and point of why people protest.

Standing on the side of the street. Sure it wouldn't grab much national attention, but I don't get offended by those. As for one that would grab a ton of national attention, think of something unique, like Kaep did.

Ok, you've got to be trolling now. Nobody is this dumb.

:troll:

In all seriousness, no I am not trolling. I am not going to argue with someone who responds to me like this, because I will get banned if I do.

Having an opinion that differs from your's is not "dumb".

Looks like we're rapidly hitting the point of agree to disagree.

Burning a flag absolutely IS protected speech. Thank goodness, too. It would be the height of hypocrisy to place that piece of cloth as sacred above our constitution.

I also served, during the Desert Storm Era. I also know a bit about racism, both casual and institutional. I am a native American. I was born in Alliance Nebraska and lived a lot of my life on Pine Ridge, and my tribe's home the Rosebud Indian Reservation in SD, just north of western Nebraska.

Racism against tribal members runs rampant out there in ways most people would refuse to believe. Many people couldn't begin to imagine the way tribal members are treated in that area. Certainly, it is not universal, but that fact does nothing to lessen the times it does occur. The racism some of you deny is lurking in your own backyard, hidden out in the Sand Hills and prairies.

I am proud of these young men for standing up for what they believe in. I've seen many people claim that athletes should accept their fate as 'role models' and act accordingly. These young men are doing exactly that and are crucified by many for doing so.

+1. Thanks for posting that, Flood. Appreciate your thoughts greatly.

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

From a 1st amendment perspective, burning the flag is allowed. Now from how its viewed by fans, since we live in a politically correct society, anybody who spoke out against a player burning a flag would be deemed insensitive and a racist. As much attention as these protesters are getting, I really hope the University honors our brave men and women in blue at every home game for the rest of the season. At the heart of the protest is the notion that cops are mistreating and targeting certain individuals, and while there are certainly a few bad cops (just as there are with every profession), 99% of them are risking their lives every day to protest all of us and our communities. In addition to some buddies who are veterans, I also have a few cop friends who feel every time they are seeing these protests take place, it feels like a punch in the gut to the sacrifice they are making everyday.

I created a thread in the P&R forum to show appreciation for our law enforcement. Feel free to add any stories you might have.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80498-law-enforcement-appreciation-thread/

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

Is that like blazing a fatty? If so, that would be illegal to do in a public setting or on the campus of an educational institution, even in Colorado. It would also violate NCAA & AD rules.

:sarcasm

True. Maybe we should allow everyone in the stadium to burn a fatty and no one will want to debate this anymore.

I'm aware that flag burning is allowed under the 1st amendment as a form of protest. Is there a certain point where the supportive group wouldn't be able to take it anymore? Is it cool if we add something to the tunnel walk to supplement the protest? Someone earlier said they ARE entitled to the platform of Nebraska football. So is there a point where a line is crossed but may still be "allowable by the 1st amendment?"

Everyone knows that that the first amendment, just like the second amendment, only protects you from infringment by the govt, right? Just as businesses can enforce gun free zones; the San Francisco 49ers could cut CK, I could be fired from my job for burning the flag, even if it is on my own time, and Mike Riley could have suspended the thee players involved in the National Anthem protests. (The last example may be a little tenuous since UNL is a public university).

To be clear, I don't think those things should happen, I'm just saying that I don't think the the constitution prevents them from happening.