Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

White people get angry, white people get angry, white people get angry, white people get angry, white people get angry, etc...

Why are you generalizing the entire white population in that post? Yes I erased some stuff to exaggerate a bit. But aren't the majority of supporters in this thread white?

First of all, during previous BLM protests, I honestly couldn't care less, they already got national attention and it was clear a problem existed and needed to be worked on. Kneeling during the anthem is insulting to a whole new wave of people who either supported it or did not care before. The people who support anthem protests likely supported it before, so if they are gaining anything, they are gaining very little.

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

As I recall, our national anthem has a pretty racist past.

I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing it up.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

american-flag-icons.jpg

The Intercept article

Full lyrics (PDF)

Posted earlier. A historical interpretation has the hireling referring to mercenaries used by the Brits. Slaves referred to the imprisoned Americans held by the Brits.......as none of us were alive then, it's all speculation.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

Controversy is the idea.

Maybe you should text during grace. It might lead to some reflection, like, "Why am I texting during Grace? Oh, right. Because I want and need the anthem protests to be just as unreasonable. Why do I want that, again?" And on and on. I think it could be good! :)

• Fire 2

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

I don't find that sad at all.

And if your text (I don't know how that would accomplish whatever your goal is) got the attention of a large number of people who normally wouldn't listen to you, I'd say have at it. Although I'd say that's quite a bit worse than doing it during the national anthem. I just don't hold a symbol/song for a country as something sacred. When people say Grace they are either talking to God or think they are talking to God.

Why are you generalizing the entire white population in that post?

Because that's how generalized statements work. It doesn't mean all white people are mad, but it means that the most common describing feature of the people who are mad is that they are white.

Majority of supporters in this thread are white because the majority of people on this board are white because the majority of people in Nebraska are white, but even moreso of a majority than the normal nationwide majority.

• Fire 1

If we live in a country where racism and injustice consumes people's lives, then the rest of us should not be immune from being confronted with it as a mere topic of discussion.

Especially in a country where we like to sing about how great we are at equality and liberty.

It's our country. We share in its flaws -- *especially* if we truly give more than lip service to celebrating its ideals.

• Fire 3

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

american-flag-icons.jpg

The Intercept article

Full lyrics (PDF)

Posted earlier. A historical interpretation has the hireling referring to mercenaries used by the Brits. Slaves referred to the imprisoned Americans held by the Brits.......as none of us were alive then, it's all speculation.

Not sure on your source (on restricted internet) but typically definition/interpretation depends on audience. For K-8 it refers to the Brit policy of impressment; for HS & College, it refers to freed slaves fighting against the USA. For some reason kids need to be protected from the "ugly truth". Similar to how the reasons behind the Civil War changes depending on grade...

• Fire 1

I'm going to type a new response. MRI is both right and wrong. Pete Ricketts is both right and wrong. I am glad they are meeting up and discussing this, hopefully they both learn something from this. I agree that racism does exist in our country. I do hope that changes. However, the national anthem is not the time or place to protest it. I was fine with silent protests that are not hurting anything. However, our country is not the reason racism exists, and by kneeling for the anthem, that is what they seem like they are saying. Protest on the street all you want, I hope there is change. Don't take it out on the country as a whole.

See post 372.

If we live in a country where racism and injustice consumes people's lives, then the rest of us should not be immune from being confronted with it as a mere topic of discussion.

Especially in a country where we like to sing about how great we are at equality and liberty.

It's our country. We share in its flaws -- *especially* if we truly give more than lip service to celebrating its ideals.

Not sure if it's your intent, but your comment of the "rest of us" sounds as though only specific people groups can experience injustice. That's the thing, discrimination doesn't discriminate and racism is color blind. We need to stop looking at life through the singularly narrow vision of "us and them". That's were this country has gotten of track IMO. Not busting on you, but just an observation.

No refuge could save the hireling and slaveFrom the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth waveO'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

american-flag-icons.jpg

The Intercept articleFull lyrics (PDF)

Not sure on your source (on restricted internet) but typically definition/interpretation depends on audience. For K-8 it refers to the Brit policy of impressment; for HS & College, it refers to freed slaves fighting against the USA. For some reason kids need to be protected from the "ugly truth". Similar to how the reasons behind the Civil War changes depending on grade...[/quote

It came from some American Historama. Sites crash course for kids history.

The ugly truth of history leaves out a lot. Enough to fuel any agenda. Not one particular position.

• Fire 1

You think the kneeling issue we are speaking about is attention grabbing, have you ever been to a Clemson home game?

Pre game = God Bless America, Prayer, Pleadge of Allegence and ends with the Anthem.

See for yourself.

Not sure how to upload a YouTube video but the link below takes you to the video.