What Did We Learn - Illinois

Mavric

-Newby is having his best year as a Husker and just looks much improved from years past...starting to make me a fan.

-The D needs to keep working on tackling skills.

-Our secondary still makes me nervous.

-The offense is still inconsistent. They look like they are firing on all cylinders and then bam... its like they got a bad tank of gas.

-We need to clean up the dumb penalties.

-The team has a never quite attitude! Great Win!

We still suffer from quality depth on the defensive line. Our LB's still aren't very good at coverage or tackling, our secondary is the strongest part of the defense, but they have issues due to lack of pressure and help from the front seven. It can only be fixed with recruting, so we are what we are on defense. It will likely get exposed against Ohio State, but nobody else on our scheudle is that great enough offensively to make us pay for our lack of depth.

On offense we have a lot of heart and a QB that will drive us crazy with his decision making, but we are 5-0 so I will take it. Our OL was dominated for the most of the game, but came through when we needed it. The playcalling in the 4th was masterful. We need the bye to get our WR's healthy.

The defense has looked good in other games...looked like last year in this one. ( Do we have linebackers?)

​We can beat lesser teams by wearing them down and eventually getting the running game going. Don't know if we can do that against top teams....kinda doubt it.

​1/2 our receiving corps can get injured after 2 games in the Big. Basically the Big Ten has historically been like the Monty Python Black Knight League.

Terrell Newby is our most reliable back.....a Roger Craig type back.

I need to shut up about Ozigbo and give Newby his due. He played like a veteran leader today, and put the team on his back. Career game.

TA is still human. Played a pretty clean game outside of that horrible pick. Three defenders... Really? Stared him down the whole time.

Stan the Man may be our best receiver out there right now. That catch early on near the goal line was CLUTCH. He got licked pretty good right after he reeled it in. And then the scoring (?-- can't remember) drive where he converted three first downs in row on 3rd down.

Illinois hired Lovie Smith, and they don't suck quite as much. Seriously though, great hire for them, and they played some very, very salty defense.

All of Husker Nation is ready for a bye week right now.

• Fire 6

If we play like that vs Wisconsin...gonna be a long game. Stoked to win but we gotta clean it up when we hit Madison or it will be ugly. We are not even in the same stratosphere as tOSU right now (as much as I don't want to admit it, it is true and I don't have a prayer that we will win at the shoe). Improvement over last year though and I like the direction we are heading. Cleaner program, more effort, team gelling and traditions honored. Interesting to see MR with his own recruits after a couple years and what he can do. If Wiscy/tOSU are our only losses this year this team will have exceeded my expectations. My 0.02...

PS - Any game day where we win and Texass loses is a wonderful day...Aloha everyone

• Fire 1