Huskers top running QBs of all time. Who ya got?

NUance

I actually think Jammal Lord might be the best out of all of them.

I think he was one of the toughest runners Nebraska ever had at quarterback. He fought (and won) some epic battles to get the last two yards for a first down.

Maybe Rozier or Phillips were harder to bring down than Jamal Lord, but I don't know who else could lay claim to being a tougher runner than Lord besides those two.

I actually think Jammal Lord might be the best out of all of them.

1a Jammal Lord

1b Eric Crouch

3 Taylor Martinez

4 Scott Frost

5 Tommie Frazier

I almost went there. Decided to make him 2 only cuz Crouch not only carried the team to the extent of Lord, but did it much more success. But yeah, Lord was a warrior. Kudos to you. The folks that rag on Lord simply do not understand football and the numerous facets that make it go. He didnt even have half the oline, backs,and defense at his disposal that those other names did. I argue about it with a friend all the time. I always say "give the Lord the oline, backs and defense that Frazier, Frost, and Crouch had and he may have won two Heismans". The guy's answer is always "youre always about the oline". Well... I remember against Texas in '02, he made a nasty jump cut/cut back/stop and go that literally made two Texas defenders run into each other. One of which I believe was Derek Johnson. That same year in Manhatten before the sh#t hit the fan, he made some KState defenders look silly on a couple td runs.

In terms of running ability of our pure options QBs:

1. Crouch - The gold standard.

2. Martinez - His injuries really derailed his career.

3. Frazier - Not as fast as the top 2, but more instinctual.

4. Frost - Was a maestro at running the option, especially timing his pitches. A bulldozer.

5. Lord - Very underrated. Broke most of Crouch's records.

Turner Gill was even better at timing his pitches than Frost was.

I would take Frost and Martinez out of your list and replace them with Turner Gill and Steve Taylor. Far to many on this board have forgotten them.

Pure Running:

Crouch

Frazier

Frost

Taylor

Lord

(I leave TM off because I think he was more of an avoider of contact than the other guys. Esp Frazier, Frost and Taylor who were just as ok running through the tackle or running around it - you rarely saw those guys take the sideline. Armstrong is a very good runner but he isn't an every down type runner that these others were called to be in the option set. Even if the QB wasn't caring the ball, they set themselves up to get hit on most plays. )

Option:

Frazier

Frost

Gill

Gdowski

Taylor

These guys ran the option like a well oiled machine. Crouch - too many fumbles that is why I dropped him off the list.

• Fire 1
It really is to bad he (Gdowski) only started one year at NU.

I remember the KFAB guys watching him one game in 1989 and saying that Huskers might have claimed the National Championship if Gdowski had started a year earlier instead of Steve Taylor...but that's nothing more than opinion.

I do know that it seemed Todd Milliken would release from his TE position and be out there behind everybody, 30 yards from the nearest defensive back waving his arms and Taylor would throw a one hop pass to him... :o ...time and again... :facepalm:

It really is to bad he (Gdowski) only started one year at NU.

I remember the KFAB guys watching him one game in 1989 and saying that Huskers might have claimed the National Championship if Gdowski had started a year earlier instead of Steve Taylor...but that's nothing more than opinion.

I do know that it seemed Todd Milliken would release from his TE position and be out there behind everybody, 30 yards from the nearest defensive back waving his arms and Taylor would throw a one hop pass to him... :o ...time and again... :facepalm:

He also hit Millikan for an 82-yard pass against Mizzou his senior year. My only bad memories of Taylor had to do with smack talk (about the Pac-Ten) and BB guns.

Gerry Gdowski - outstanding in every aspect of the QB position, too bad he only started one year

Jamal Lord - IMO the most underated QB in Husker history, he had some of the worst RB support and OL support of any QB in the past 50 years, yet he broke nearly every Crouch record

Scott Frost - musch better in his second year, he ran like a beast, was great on the option, and was a reasonable passer

Tommie Frazier - tough as nails, never got rattled, because of great support, he didn't need as many carries or passes as other QBs

Turner Gill - great passer and smooth as silk on the option

Pure Running:

Crouch

Frazier

Frost

Taylor

Lord

(I leave TM off because I think he was more of an avoider of contact than the other guys. Esp Frazier, Frost and Taylor who were just as ok running through the tackle or running around it - you rarely saw those guys take the sideline. Armstrong is a very good runner but he isn't an every down type runner that these others were called to be in the option set. Even if the QB wasn't caring the ball, they set themselves up to get hit on most plays. )

Option:

Frazier

Frost

Gill

Gdowski

Taylor

These guys ran the option like a well oiled machine. Crouch - too many fumbles that is why I dropped him off the list.

I understand what you mean about Martinez avoiding contact but the thing is he was so fast he almost never needed to get hit. I don't think it should be that much if a knock on the guy. He did things most running QBs could never do.

I don't even agree with the Martinez avoiding contact perspective. Remember his freshman year when nobody could ever actually bring him to the ground? 2-3 times per game he'd get stopped and stood up, and eventually swarmed with the play blown dead while Taylor is still standing up right with five defenders pushing him backwards. Later on he tried taking coaching to avoid contact, for sure, but never seemed natural with it.