Perfect Time to Discuss This Scenario

I know I am thread-jacking, but these were Berringer's stats BEFORE 1994. He had only played in 1993, appearing in 10 games as Frazier's backup.

Passing 17-27 (63%) for 222 yards, 2 TD's and 1 INT

Rushing 10 carries for 15 yards, 2 TD's

How is a guy who barely saw the field in 1993 was going to be considered a potential starter in place of the starting QB for 1 1/2 years, Big 8 Freshman of the Year in 1992, 2nd Team All-Big 8 QB in 1993, and Orange Bowl MVP in 1994 (after 1993 season).

I think you guys are doing the mis-remembering.

I wonder if people doubted like this when the other Tommy went out with injury and another backup had to step in and carry the season so that tommy could come back guns blazing in the national championship game. This season feels familiar...

We were very confident in Brook Berringer, so not really a great comparison.

However, when Brook got hurt (collapsed lung, which he played through!), everyone was nervous as hell to start Matt Turman. Turns out that Nebraska team was good enough to beat #16 Kansas State on the strength of the O Line and LP's legs alone.

POB is not nearly ready to go. This fascination with the guy has to stop. He's got skills but he's raw. He has a long way to go before he's game-ready. We're better off going with Fyfe for the rest of the season and not throwing an unready O'Brien into the fire.

You put a guy out there who's not ready for live bullets and it can tank his career. People need to chill with the O'Brien talk.

You do know that true and redshirt freshman have played across this land and some have done quite well against us.

Difference being those players were ready to start. Some guys can start as Freshmen, some can't. POB isn't that guy.

I have been watching a lot of the 93, 94 and 95 games lately, and TA is eerily similar to TF. TF had the same tendency to throw bone headed interceptions when a play broke down. In the Florida MNC game he had two ridiculous interceptions. No one remembers those because of how great that team was.

Tommie Frazier had the job sealed up prior to 94. But the pretty equal performance in the OB and Brook's run to lead the team there in 94 led to a qb competition prior 95. According to guys on the BTN Doc, it was a pretty close race that was evenly matched and decided by a final scrimmage I believe.

Yes, there was a legitimate QB competition in 1995, but before 1994 and Frazier's blood clot issue, the job was all Frazier's.

I don't think it was based on stats or playing time, it was the 2nd string QB is always better mindset. It's not much different than folks talking about POB before this season. That 1993 Orange Bowl was very disappointing for a lot of fans. We also lost to Iowa State in 1992?? so not a warm & fuzzy season.

I recall the same thing happening with most incumbent QBs... It's what a lot of fans do.

I don't think it was based on stats or playing time, it was the 2nd string QB is always better mindset. It's not much different than folks talking about POB before this season. That 1993 Orange Bowl was very disappointing for a lot of fans. We also lost to Iowa State in 1992?? so not a warm & fuzzy season.

I recall the same thing happening with most incumbent QBs... It's what a lot of fans do.

Whoever was thinking that Berringer should be starting just because of the 2nd string QB is always better was freaking crazy. Frazier had just led NU to within 1 minute of the national championship, and had 2 career losses in a 1 1/2 years of starting. Whoever thought he shouldn't have come back and been the starter in 1994 is delusional. There was no reason to have given that a reasonable thought.

Whoever was thinking that Berringer should be starting just because of the 2nd string QB is always better was freaking crazy. Frazier had just led NU to within 1 minute of the national championship, and had 2 career losses in a 1 1/2 years of starting. Whoever thought he shouldn't have come back and been the starter in 1994 is delusional. There was no reason to have given that a reasonable thought.

Hiindset is 20/20 for a reason. I'm not saying Berringer should have started in 1994. I am just saying I remember quite a few folks not being that high on Tommie going in to 1994 season. It was same logic that said Tommie should not have replaced Grant 1992. It's not rational at the time, it was emotional...

Seriously, Husker fans being delusional, color me shocked...

Hiindset is 20/20 for a reason. I'm not saying Berringer should have started in 1994. I am just saying I remember quite a few folks not being that high on Tommie going in to 1994 season. It was same logic that said Tommie should not have replaced Grant 1992. It's not rational at the time, it was emotional...

Seriously, Husker fans being delusional, color me shocked...

The reason I am acting so shocked and surprised that there was even talk by delusional fans is that I don't remember ever hearing that type of talk from my friends, family, and fellow students. We were 100% in on Frazier, and I don't remember anybody who wasn't. Again, this is before Frazier got hurt and Berringer played well in his absence in 1994.

I wouldn't claim to have a perfect recollection but I don't remember hearing about anyone but Tommie Frazier until he got hurt. In fact, what I do remember was thinking it was interesting that my high school's biggest rival had played against him a couple years earlier. I definitely don't remember hearing about a QB who was born to run Osborne's option offense and had been doing so very well for the previous two years was in any danger of losing his job. This article from Shatel at the time doesn't seem to reference much (any?) prior knowledge of Berringer:

On the biggest day of his anonymous four-year Nebraska career, Brook Berringer did not make us forget Tommie Frazier. What he did was introduce us to Brook Berringer.
Nice to know you, Brook.

On a side note, Nebraska only had two scholarship QBs on the roster at that time. Obviously Osborne must have been doing a terrible job recruiting.

Edited by Mavric
Moved - Originally posted in wrong thread

You don't remember 1994 very well. There was a lot of talk about Brook maybe taking the starting job from Tommie before the season. When Tommie went down people were, obviously, unhappy. But there was a lot of confidence in Berringer, both in the locker room and on the street.

This is how I recall the situation in 1994 as well...

Are you sure you guys aren't talking about 1995? Yes, there was a lot of discussion who should end up starting in 1995 because Brook played so well in 1994, but Frazier was FIRMLY ENTRENCHED as the starting QB heading into 1994.

Fair enough. I was definitely worried when Tommie went down in '94. Berringer had to earn the faith, which he did.

Still, from the very beginning we were told Brooke was a genuine pro-style quarterback, and at the very least we were intrigued by the additional weapon that might provide.

I don't remember Tommie ever not being the man, just that our secondary option at QB was better than Husker average.

You don't remember 1994 very well. There was a lot of talk about Brook maybe taking the starting job from Tommie before the season. When Tommie went down people were, obviously, unhappy. But there was a lot of confidence in Berringer, both in the locker room and on the street.

With Brook and Tommy we basically had two starting quarterbacks on our roster. Brook was a good enough passer that the Bronco's were planning on drafting him in the 3rd round if he was still available. Tommy was pretty incredible but Brook was just as stellar.

Perhaps more to the point: Ryker Fyfe isn't Brooke Berringer.

Maybe he could be.

I hope we don't find out, but I'll take Ryker the Senior over Patrick O'Brien's redshirt any day of the week.

That is a no brainer. No way should be waste a redshirt when you have a Sr who has at least played a little bit unless that Freshman is that much better and you think he can lead you to the playoffs. In our situation, Ryker should play.

I wonder if people doubted like this when the other Tommy went out with injury and another backup had to step in and carry the season so that tommy could come back guns blazing in the national championship game. This season feels familiar...

We were very confident in Brook Berringer, so not really a great comparison.

However, when Brook got hurt (collapsed lung, which he played through!), everyone was nervous as hell to start Matt Turman. Turns out that Nebraska team was good enough to beat #16 Kansas State on the strength of the O Line and LP's legs alone.

POB is not nearly ready to go. This fascination with the guy has to stop. He's got skills but he's raw. He has a long way to go before he's game-ready. We're better off going with Fyfe for the rest of the season and not throwing an unready O'Brien into the fire.

You put a guy out there who's not ready for live bullets and it can tank his career. People need to chill with the O'Brien talk.

You do know that true and redshirt freshman have played across this land and some have done quite well against us.

Difference being those players were ready to start. Some guys can start as Freshmen, some can't. POB isn't that guy.

and you know that how? have you been watching practice?