Rest Tommy next week?

This entire discussion is kind of ridiculous. If Tommy's able to play, he's gonna play. No if's, and's, or but's about it. That's the way he wants it, that's the way Coach Riley wants it, and that's the way the team wants it.

You limit or eliminate the designed runs for him against Purdue, and challenge the O-line and RB's to dominate an inferior Purdue defense running the ball. Continue to let Tommy throw the ball 15-20 times, and give him some confidence back going into our biggest games of the year. And then if we have a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, give the ball to Ryker to finish the game. Let the defense and running game win this game, and let's get ready for Wisconsin.

Speculating is the mother of all forums. I have no idea how injured Tommy is but I am speculating that he is hurting to a moderate degree. Why? Because his mobility yesterday was notably limited and he obviously limped at times. Also, not to much more than a week ago he was wearing boot and Riley made the comment that he wouldn't play had there been a game rather than a bye. And Tommy's checked out for a few series in at least one but maybe more games. How is it ever right for a team or an individual to play an obviously hurting player? I trust Riley to make the morally right decision but I would not be surprised to hear that Tommy sits this week. If we lose because the 2nd string QB can't cut it then so be it. We're not much of a team to begin with.

There is a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. Its football. You are going to get dinged up during the course of the season, doesnt mean its wrong to play someone that is dinged up. Tommy would tell you the same thing. If he can go, he goes.

This entire discussion is kind of ridiculous. If Tommy's able to play, he's gonna play. No if's, and's, or but's about it. That's the way he wants it, that's the way Coach Riley wants it, and that's the way the team wants it.

You limit or eliminate the designed runs for him against Purdue, and challenge the O-line and RB's to dominate an inferior Purdue defense running the ball. Continue to let Tommy throw the ball 15-20 times, and give him some confidence back going into our biggest games of the year. And then if we have a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, give the ball to Ryker to finish the game. Let the defense and running game win this game, and let's get ready for Wisconsin.

Speculating is the mother of all forums. I have no idea how injured Tommy is but I am speculating that he is hurting to a moderate degree. Why? Because his mobility yesterday was notably limited and he obviously limped at times. Also, not to much more than a week ago he was wearing boot and Riley made the comment that he wouldn't play had there been a game rather than a bye. And Tommy's checked out for a few series in at least one but maybe more games. How is it ever right for a team or an individual to play an obviously hurting player? I trust Riley to make the morally right decision but I would not be surprised to hear that Tommy sits this week. If we lose because the 2nd string QB can't cut it then so be it. We're not much of a team to begin with.
There is a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. Its football. You are going to get dinged up during the course of the season, doesnt mean its wrong to play someone that is dinged up. Tommy would tell you the same thing. If he can go, he goes.
ok what about Alonzo Moore? You could argue he was just dinged up but coaches sat him a few games. Sometimes toughing through things isn't the best option, even if your are hurt not injured

ok what about Alonzo Moore? You could argue he was just dinged up but coaches sat him a few games. Sometimes toughing through things isn't the best option, even if your are hurt not injured
Perhaps Alonzos injury was affecting his play? From what I saw yesterday, Tommy was not affected by his ankle. He had good burst, was able to cut to avoid tackles and was able to escape pressure by running out of the pocket. You could say his throws were affected by the two interceptions but we have seen Tommy make those types of throws for the last four years so I cant really say with certainty it was because he was injured.

Taylor Martinez on the other hand was injured and should have been out the last season he played. He had multiple things going on: high ankle sprain that never seemed to heal properly. Turf toe that never healed properly. It affected his play. If you look at that Kansas State game his freshman year in comparison to the games after the ankle injury, it is night and day. After every play he seemed to get up limping. He didnt have any burst or cutting ability. He ran straight into the tackle and stopped as the guy was hitting him. I dont think the right decision was made to play Martinez but that is in hindsight.

Perhaps Alonzos injury was affecting his play? From what I saw yesterday, Tommy was not affected by his ankle. He had good burst, was able to cut to avoid tackles and was able to escape pressure by running out of the pocket. You could say his throws were affected by the two interceptions but we have seen Tommy make those types of throws for the last four years so I cant really say with certainty it was because he was injured.

Taylor Martinez on the other hand was injured and should have been out the last season he played. He had multiple things going on: high ankle sprain that never seemed to heal properly. Turf toe that never healed properly. It affected his play. If you look at that Kansas State game his freshman year in comparison to the games after the ankle injury, it is night and day. After every play he seemed to get up limping. He didnt have any burst or cutting ability. He ran straight into the tackle and stopped as the guy was hitting him. I dont think the right decision was made to play Martinez but that is in hindsight.

Well you and I have differing opinions on how much Tommy was affected yesterday. If Tommy is 100% he should play but I'm just not so sure he is.

I honestly didn't notice that Tommy was limping or in any way physically limited yesterday. The mistakes he made were the same mistakes he's made when healthy for the past three seasons. And the good plays were the same good plays.

There was a couple plays in the 3rd when he got up that he appeared to have a slight limp. I dont think he was 100%. And I think Langs knew it. It was the fewest amount of designed qb run game we've seen i believe. Esp since it was needed. every now and then theyd dial one up. A draw or whatever that would be success for 10-15 yards, but yet would still never be a legit thread to be called again. So all that was interesting to me. Tommy's the type of guy where his trend is that success usually comes with him getting involved in the run game and getting hit a couple times. It's something ive observed for a couple years now. The earlier he gets hit, he just seems to settle in better. he plays better in the pass game better.

Tommy will play saturday. He needs to. Get the start. Pound the rock. Ride Newby again. Hopefully get the game in hand early but most importantly just get a nice 2-3 possession win hopefully without having to ride his legs much.

You, sir, are blind.

Tommy was not the same against Indiana. He was noticeably limping after a few plays. Also, when a QB has a bum ankle, it's going to affect his footwork. A guy is going to get lazy with his footwork if it hurts to get his feet in the right position.

Doesn't Tommy mostly throw with his upper body anyway? Seems to me he gets just as much power on bootleg passes as he does from the pocket, and even then he doesn't set his feet.

Tommy was not the same against Indiana. He was noticeably limping after a few plays. Also, when a QB has a bum ankle, it's going to affect his footwork. A guy is going to get lazy with his footwork if it hurts to get his feet in the right position.

Doesn't Tommy mostly throw with his upper body anyway? Seems to me he gets just as much power on bootleg passes as he does from the pocket, and even then he doesn't set his feet.

Yes, but his footwork in the pocket is going to impact accuracy and how good the passes are. He went back to throwing off his back foot a few times on Saturday.

You, sir, are blind.

He was. Only played in 4 of 13 games.

Yes, but his footwork in the pocket is going to impact accuracy and how good the passes are. He went back to throwing off his back foot a few times on Saturday.
That first deep shot to Reimers should have been a touchdown but Tommy was doing his best Michael Jordan impression when he threw it.

excellent point

we ran the ball 45 times, averging only 3.4. And only attempted 26 passes, completing only ten.

you wanna talk about hands tied as an OC. man. How many times were we in 2nd and more-than-7? And knowing your QB and oline is having one of them days. And youre missing your two best receiving threats. I mean cmon. When will folks see the silver lining?

• Fire 1

TA was limited on what he could do from the mobility stand point. However, the passing issues were just TA being TA. There is another thread started by MAV showing the first possession of the game. In one of the pics it shows TA throwing deep with his feet side by side. That is not an ankle injury issue, that is poor mechanics. As the game went on, maybe the ankle effected his throwing but not to the degree that he would have had a great day passing versus the bad day he had. They got away from the easy throws and that was the problem. Indiana was stacking the box and Langs was trying to back them off. TA just couldn't make the throws. The best catch of the year by Rielly, shows how bad it was going to be Saturday. That should have been picked cleanly in the air. The cornerback would say that himself. The pass was way under thrown. As for resting TA just to get him to next week, we tried that last year and we got beat. I say rest TA all week as a fifth year senior he should need the work. Give Fyfe the work with the #1 offense, then start TA to see how effective he can be and if he isn't then send in Fyfe.