Let's Be Honest...

Compared to how we've started? Yea, that would probably be a let down.

Compared to last year? It'd feel amazing.

See, this is what I don't understand. We are supposed to feel good about going 9-3, just because the team was a dumpster fire last year?

Bo and his staff got fired for repeatedly having 9-3 regular seasons, and falling short of expectations. So, why are we supposed to lower our expectations after Riley's terrible first year?

This is where you are wrong. Bo got praise from the national media for the consistent 9-3 efforts. Where he got canned was the way he treated the people within Nebraska.

• Fire 1

constant progress is impossible. Even Osborne took a step back right smack in the middle of the greatest 5 year run in the history of college football.

yes. next year will be interesting. As of now I'm thinking like a 7-6/8-5 type year. You think fans are bad now?

Sometimes a step or two back before leaping forward is necessary.

You have a lot to look forward to next year. You have set expectations low and will see us overacheive.

You think Iowa is only losing 1 more game with Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU, and Nebraska left on the schedule?

I said going into the Nebraska game, so we are excluded. Yes, I think they are beating Wiscy in Iowa and Penn State, and losing to Michigan.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Iowa is going to beat Wiscy?

Have you SEEN any Hawkeye games this year?

I..I can't stop laughing. Iowa will be lucky to get to 7 wins this year.

As far as honesty, NU should be favored in every game left on the schedule except UW/OSU. There's no way Iowa is favored, even with it being at home.

Yes.

Yes

Hope you're right.

Okay.

We'll know in 6 days...I think Iowa wins on Saturday. If I'm reading between the lines in your very subtle post, you think Wisconsin draws and quarters them. One of us will be wrong. Certainly might be me.

I'm curious.

What have you seen from iowa this year to think they will be capable of beating Wiscy? Or Penn State, or Illinois for that matter? That offense is a dumpster fire that has only been able to produce against PURDUE?

I don't understand it. Ive watched most of thier games this year and that team is playing like a high school team from Alaska. As in the words of Charles Barkley - Turrible.

Iowa has been laughable in moments this year, but I think Wisconsin is due for a letdown game, and Iowa could easily beat them. I would put it as a 50-50 game right now.

The table is clearly set for Wisconsin. Win the next two games, Iowa and Nebraska, and they control their destiny going forward and will probably get another shot at Michigan or OSU in the CCG.

They're legitimately strong. It took an act of will by JT Barrett to pull that game close enough to outlast them in OT. As has been mentioned, the Iowa offense is a pile of dog crap. Both Minnesota and Purdue played possibly the two worst games I've seen in College Football in the last several years to hand them their last two victories. Leidner was a zombie and they still almost won. Purdue couldn't stop slow, hobbled CJ Beathard from long repeated desperation runs of 10 yards+. I am confident this will not happen to Wisconsin.

That Wisconsin -3 line that was out this week is for the gamblers, IMO. Wisconsin will beat Iowa by a comfortable 12 points or so and it won't, in reality, be that close. Michigan will beat them by more.

Wisconsin, if they were to beat Nebraska, would still need another team to beat Nebraska as UW has two conference losses. So they don't control their own destiny, they still need help.

The program has changed under Riley. These guys are showing up every week, fixing things that need fixing, and adjusting during games. They haven't shown any signs of collapse really since 2014 when the team always seemed so fragile.

There are no guarantees as we could lose to anyone, but I think we'll at most lose one of the two games to Wisconsin or Ohio State. I think if we lose to Wisconsin we'll beat OSU the next week (unless we have a ton of injuries). Iowa and Minny could beat us, as could Maryland, but I don't think they will.

So I think 11-1 and a CCG appearance, hopefully against Michigan, is on the menu.

Down for this.

• Fire 1

See, this is what I don't understand. We are supposed to feel good about going 9-3, just because the team was a dumpster fire last year?

Bo and his staff got fired for repeatedly having 9-3 regular seasons, and falling short of expectations. So, why are we supposed to lower our expectations after Riley's terrible first year?

Nobody is lowering expectations. Pelini had seven years to get the job done. Riley deserves the same as long as he keeps improving. 9-3 would be improvement from 6-7. If not this year, next year I would like to see us go to B1G title and within five years actually win one. Its a process that doesn't just happen overnight. As long as I see progress every year leading up to championship, Riley deserves our support.

Riley has my support, but if NU were to not win the division this year, I would be thinking "Man, that was a huge opportunity missed" and I am sure Riley and his staff would be thinking the same thing. That's why I think Riley keeps pushing this team to get better. It's because he thinks he has a special group of kids who could get into the B1G championship game, and then who knows what could happen in that one game.

We have an opportunity to get It done, however I wouldn't call it "a huge opportunity missed" we have to beat a team that was ranked 8th in the country before they played the #2 team in the country, oh by the way we also have to play that same #2 team in the country.

Why are people still talking like Minnesota is a good football team? They're no better than they were last year when we beat them by three TDs.

They're 4-2 and only one of the teams they beat, Maryland, has a winning record.

Minnesota is OK. They are not "good."

All Minnesota would have to be is slightly better than Illinois, which led Nebraska 16 - 10 going into the fourth quarter.

....and then we would score 21 on them in the 4th and get another win :)

If we want to keep up our momentum with recruiting and want to take a step forward as a program then we need to win at least 11 games this year and make a quality bowl such as the Orange or Rose bowl. There is no excuse this season to not win at least 10 games minimum, I am not going to be somewhat happy unless we can win at least 11 games. Nebraska's schedule is only going to get harder in years to come, next year is not bad but our 2018-2019 schedule is going to be a B***h.

Sat,
Sep 01
Akron Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska) TBA Sat,
Sep 08
Colorado Memorial Stadium TBA Sat,
Sep 15
Troy Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska) TBA Sat,
Sep 22
Michigan * at Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA Sat,
Sep 29
Purdue * Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska) TBA Sat,
Oct 06
Wisconsin * at Madison, Wis. TBA Sat,
Oct 13
Northwestern * at Evanston, Ill. TBA Sat,
Oct 20
Minnesota * Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska) TBA Sat,
Nov 03
Ohio State * at Columbus, Ohio TBA Sat,
Nov 10
Illinois * Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska) TBA Sat,
Nov 17
Michigan State * Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, Nebraska) TBA Fri,
Nov 23
Iowa * at Iowa City, Iowa TBA

How does that change this years expectation?

You think Iowa is only losing 1 more game with Wisconsin, Michigan, PSU, and Nebraska left on the schedule?

I said going into the Nebraska game, so we are excluded. Yes, I think they are beating Wiscy in Iowa and Penn State, and losing to Michigan.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

As far as honesty, NU should be favored in every game left on the schedule except UW/OSU. There's no way Iowa is favored, even with it being at home.

Yes.

Yes

Hope you're right.

Okay.

We'll know in 6 days...I think Iowa wins on Saturday. If I'm reading between the lines in your very subtle post, you think Wisconsin draws and quarters them. One of us will be wrong. Certainly might be me.

I'm curious.

What have you seen from iowa this year to think they will be capable of beating Wiscy? Or Penn State, or Illinois for that matter? That offense is a dumpster fire that has only been able to produce against PURDUE?

I don't understand it. Ive watched most of thier games this year and that team is playing like a high school team from Alaska. As in the words of Charles Barkley - Turrible.

Iowa has been laughable in moments this year, but I think Wisconsin is due for a letdown game, and Iowa could easily beat them. I would put it as a 50-50 game right now.

The table is clearly set for Wisconsin. Win the next two games, Iowa and Nebraska, and they control their destiny going forward and will probably get another shot at Michigan or OSU in the CCG.

They're legitimately strong. It took an act of will by JT Barrett to pull that game close enough to outlast them in OT. As has been mentioned, the Iowa offense is a pile of dog crap. Both Minnesota and Purdue played possibly the two worst games I've seen in College Football in the last several years to hand them their last two victories. Leidner was a zombie and they still almost won. Purdue couldn't stop slow, hobbled CJ Beathard from long repeated desperation runs of 10 yards+. I am confident this will not happen to Wisconsin.

That Wisconsin -3 line that was out this week is for the gamblers, IMO. Wisconsin will beat Iowa by a comfortable 12 points or so and it won't, in reality, be that close. Michigan will beat them by more.

Wisconsin, if they were to beat Nebraska, would still need another team to beat Nebraska as UW has two conference losses. So they don't control their own destiny, they still need help.

I expect that OSU will prevail against us in Columbus, which makes my scenario right on. After that, we essentially play Wisconsin for the division title if all else goes right.

Yes.

Yes

Hope you're right.

Okay.

I'm curious.

I expect that OSU will prevail against us in Columbus, which makes my scenario right on. After that, we essentially play Wisconsin for the division title if all else goes right.

NU plays Wisconsin on Oct. 29th, with the game in Columbus the week AFTER that.

This is where you are wrong. Bo got praise from the national media for the consistent 9-3 efforts. Where he got canned was the way he treated the people within Nebraska.

As long as we are flogging the deceased equine, it was that Bo Pelini embarrassed the University and the state by his infantile sideline behavior and having his teams pants repeatedly on national TV. Not counting his first year for which it is not fair to judge him, his teams lost by 21 or more points 7 times usually on ABC. Plus, his teams lost by 20 points once and 17 once. That's NINE three score losses in six years. That included the 39 point loss to a 5 loss Wisconsin team. It included giving up the then most rushing yards ever to as single player 405 freaking yards on 25 carries. 16 yards per carry!

• Fire 2

Healthy, I could see us going 10-2 at worst or 12-0 at best. Every person talks about so and so getting beaten up by so and so prior to meeting us. The reality is we are beaten up and going into the schedule facing those teams that have "beaten up" other teams. 9-3 is a reality and not bad compared to last year. We go 9-3 and lose by a td or less i.e. Whisky, that aint bad. Those polls haven't really penalized teams on close games i.e. Whisky, Louisville, UT (until Bama)....

We lost a HUGE piece of our O when Carter went down. Beast in the run game, DC nightmare to game plan for with his runs and pass catching, throw in an injured Westy, TA and a MASH unit OL and we are heading into the meat of the schedule.... 9-3 would not be great, but not bad. Healthy, I wouldn't bet against us....

• Fire 2

Injuries, how we overcome them will be the tell tale factor. Depth, not to the level of Wisconsin or Ohio State. Two very tough games on the road, a hobbled QB, that when stressed can give a game away. Healthy, I give us a chance against Wisconsin, not so much Ohio State. But setting here thinking we have a chance against Wisconsin is such a great feeling, instead of the doom and gloom of past years.

I can see the 9-3 with our injuries, I could see 9-3 without our injuries. But I see a team that is 6-0 today, and I am damned happy to listen to the media and hear them say things positive about Nebraska. That has not happened for awhile. We are on top of the bubble, enjoy it for awhile.

Thank You Mike Riley for giving me a team I can truly be proud of, win or lose.

I was wondering about that as well. They will lose at least once to either Wisconsin or Michigan, probably both.

They will lose both. Take it to the bank.

Because every season is different and how you get to your final records are different. Last year it was a transition year and this team was still divided due to some players staying loyal to Bo and doing everything they could to disrupt and keep the team separated. Those guys are now gone and you see the difference in the buy in and the attitude of the team.

I also find it funny that there are people trying to downplay the strength of schedule this year when they are the same ones who used 2003 9-3 regular season to defend Frank. That year Frank had zero wins against teams that were ranked in the final polls. The only team they beat that was ranked at the time they played was Oklahoma State opening weekend and they were #24. Overall NU only played two ranked teams in Texas (11/12) and Kansas State (13/14) and were destroyed by a combination score of 69-16 (30-7 at UT and 38-9 vs KSU) by those teams. Not to mention they lost to unranked Missouri in Columbia 41-24. We have ended up with a favorable first half of the year with Oregon being beat up and giving up on their season after they lost to us. Also don't forget that was originally supposed to be Tennessee until they asked to push it back a decade so they could play VT at the race track in Tennessee. So even if we do end up 9-3 why is that so different than what Frank did in 2003? If anyone wants to use the strength of schedule to diminish what this team has accomplished and was one of those people who used the 2003 schedule to defend Frank, you may want to take a step back and try to adjust your agenda because that would be hypercritical if you are defending one coach in Frank and then holding Mike more accountable for accomplishing the same thing 13 years later.

Bo was fired for various reasons including getting his ass handed to him every time he played a team with a heartbeat. Then you throw on top of that he didn't like to recruit and was pretty much an ass to anyone who questioned him. Which is why he only had yes men on his underqualified staff who would do and say whatever Bo wanted because they were happy just being here. Bo had everything he could ever want to succeed here and he blew it. He had seven seasons which is a fair amount of time and we were stagnant which is the death of any head coach especially with how paranoid he was.

I would hope that people would be able to just enjoy the ride, but I guess some (not pointing at you colo) will find a reason to complain because even if there isn't a reason for it. We are 6-0 people, enjoy it while it lasts.

• Fire 1