Bo Pelini to PURDUE?

And despite the claims of his anger problem, he knows how to draw effort out of kids. And that's the #2 most important aspect of coaching, just behind being a truly gifted offensive or defensive mind.

Claims of anger problems? Claims? Merely claims? Ha ha! Perhaps a bit of an understatement, donchya think?. He might be the angriest coach in FBS.

All of FBS? He may not be even the angriest in the midwest:

And that's leaving aside a huge number of "angry" coaches in the SEC (top of the bill being Nicky Satan himself).

EDIT: Weird, I can't seem to post pictures. But Brian K., Mark D., John H. and Urban M. all have pictures easily findable on google of them looking as angry as Bo does in your clips. Brian Kelly and Mark Dantonio and Harbaugh are all easily worse, but I guess they don't have as "ugly" of a mean face, so they get away with it. Or -- more likely -- they had a few more wins, so they are forgiven, but that will pivot quickly (it already is for Kelly).

I think Bo would be a phenomenal DC in the NFL. Talent across the board. Unlimited prep time (his system was predicated on hours of film study to determine tendancies and combos). Lack of mobile qb's to deal with. No recruiting. it seems like a position that would be tailor made for him.

I'm sure he could end up there in a few years. His kids will be finishing school in 5 years, so he will have a lot more freedom to be a NFL nomad.

I still think he has the mind and fortitude to be a highly successful coach at the highest level.

This is why you are seen as an ultimate troll.

Cmon man. Youre not even trying to hide it anymore.

So...how many losing seasons has Pelini been involved in as a coach, whether head or assistant or coordinator or even his one year at Iowa as a grad assistant?

If I am not mistaken, doesn't the man own a Super Bowl ring and a National Championship ring from when he coached at other places?

Pelini worked with and was hired by the likes of Hayden Fry, George Seifert, Bob Stoops, Mike Sherman, Les Miles, and Pete Carroll...oh, and that Tom Osborne guy. I don't recall any epic problems with these guys or the teams such as happened at Nebraska his last couple of years.

So, if one wants to ignore the above and insist on a different narrative, it begs the question of who is the actual troll?

As an aside, Pelini is 6-1 after losing starting and back up quarterbacks. Here is a quote from a sports website commenting on Pelini back in 2014:

"Based strictly on his coaching ability, Youngstown State is certainly lucky to have a coach of Pelini’s caliber."

http://thespun.com/big-ten/nebraska/youngstown-state-releases-a-statement-about-bo-pelinis-profanity-laced-rant

So all of that and all of them against your opinion, Count'bility...yet cm Husker is the troll, right?.

Ever hear the Shakespeare phrase, "All is yellow to the jaundiced eye."?

Do any of those positions where he garnered success qualify as the highest level? Position coach in the NFL? Coordinator at LSU.

And i think i said Pelini is a good coach.............................

I still think he has the mind and fortitude to be a highly successful coach at the highest level.

Really? Those are the two characteristics I'd consider him worst at. He might succeed despite his flaws (other coaches have), but mentally he's pretty unstable. He reminds me of Woody Hayes, who's instability was his ultimate undoing.

The dude is pretty much an undisputed defensive genius.

And despite the claims of his anger problem, he knows how to draw effort out of kids. And that's the #2 most important aspect of coaching, just behind being a truly gifted offensive or defensive mind.

Knowing defense and being able to coach defense are far two different things. I've always been one to think that Bo may have been 10 years ahead of his time the way he was able to handle spreads in the Big 12. But once the threat of balance of the bigten came into the mix, sh#t rolled downhill in a hurry.

His anger problem is not a "claim". its a documented fact in audio and visual that the guy seriously lacks any sort of self control in the face of adversity and opposition.

the effort thing is questionable. Sure you can make claims to all the comebacks and such over his time but there's two things. One, we can find just as many cases of the wheels coming and packing it in. And 2, the lack of effort that dug them those holes in the first place. Effort is more than just playing hard. I think that's a dynamic a lot of folks dont get when talking about "effort".

College coaching is a pressure packed job. Even at a place like Purdue. Too much money involved. Bo showed that when things are on the uptick, he's good. But when the pressure caves in, so does he. Even just last year, an opponents radio team was talking about their team's gameplan to just get the game to the 4th qtr against YSU and wait for them to crumble. This literally happened. And when your opponent main game plan is centered around your temperement, or lack thereof, youve got issues. Bo and co. did crumble. They got a couple personal fouls and so on, and lost the game.

You can point out all wins at YSU you wnat. He's also got a couple of big boy Power 5 level players playing for him. But it's not about whether Bo is a good coach or not. Of course he's a good coach. If youre coaching at a level to that of any college or above, It's safe to say you know football, how to coach it, how to manage a program and so on, to an extent. The debate is whether he's good ENOUGH for a place like Nebraska. He's not. And I'm not sure he's even good enough for any FBS level job. he's shown too many times he cant handle the situation and also burned the bridge hot enough that it's gonna be hard to even get the opportunity again.

..............yep. yep I did.

i agree he could have success at places. Just not at the highest level. Why? HE ALREADY PROVED HE COULDNT. "He hit his ceiling" is the common phrase used.

And yes. CM is a troll. This thread isnt an exlusive case of his antics to push the buttons with ridiculous comments.

Well...wait. What is "success" at the highest level?

Is it just a NC? I could live with that as the criteria for success at the highest level if you that is what you are saying.

Obviously, this debate is a matter of opinion. Depends on the program too I guess. But one thing is, once you obtain "success" the expection becomes taking the next step. now, at Nebraska, is very safe and easy to say that Bo did not accomplish (and was given plenty of time to do so) what are considered pretty reasonable and fair expectations. And Bo has shown that lack of temperement to not be able to handle the highest of levels. Cuz Nebraska is probably not the highest of levels. yet, it was said he has the qualities to do so.

Really? Those are the two characteristics I'd consider him worst at. He might succeed despite his flaws (other coaches have), but mentally he's pretty unstable. He reminds me of Woody Hayes, who's instability was his ultimate undoing.

The dude is pretty much an undisputed defensive genius.

I thought you might be serious, but that bolded part made me laugh. Not sure if you're deluded or trolling at this point.

Claims of anger problems? Claims? Merely claims? Ha ha! Perhaps a bit of an understatement, donchya think?. He might be the angriest coach in FBS.

And that's leaving aside a huge number of "angry" coaches in the SEC (top of the bill being Nicky Satan himself).

EDIT: Weird, I can't seem to post pictures. But Brian K., Mark D., John H. and Urban M. all have pictures easily findable on google of them looking as angry as Bo does in your clips. Brian Kelly and Mark Dantonio and Harbaugh are all easily worse, but I guess they don't have as "ugly" of a mean face, so they get away with it. Or -- more likely -- they had a few more wins, so they are forgiven, but that will pivot quickly (it already is for Kelly).

Bo's behavior when he thought no one was watching is all you need to know about his temperment and self control. All you need to know about what was in his heart and was his full attn was on.

Sure those guys have times of anger. What coach doesnt. Even Riley has had a couple incidents already where he's gone all Pelini on someone. there was a stretch a couple years when Tim Miles, in the stretch of less than a week, purposely cussed in a presser, received a technical foul, and was ejected from a game. The issue is how do those things impact your ability to coach and think, and how does it affect your teams mindset. Some of these guys do that stuff in a calculating manner. You think Saban blew up on kiffin a few weeks back just cuz? No. It was a calculated move. Saban's success makes it possible for that assumption. Look what theyve done since.

I think Bo would be a phenomenal DC in the NFL. Talent across the board. Unlimited prep time (his system was predicated on hours of film study to determine tendancies and combos). Lack of mobile qb's to deal with. No recruiting. it seems like a position that would be tailor made for him.

Good point. And NU has a proven record of producing top notch assistants!

jlc-callahan-01122014.jpg

• Fire 2

At this point, Riley would have to win the next 6 games in a row to get his NU winning percentage to be the same as Bo's tenure at Nebraska (66-27, .709 winning percentage).

sample size tho

So, let's say NU goes 11-3 this year (10-2 regular season, loss in B1G Championship, win the bowl game) and then falls back to 8-5 next year (new QB, new receivers, new leaders have to step up). That's a .615 winning percentage through 3 years. Still way behind.

To boil down what you just wrote: the "fair and reasonable" expectation at Nebraska is that a coach must have a HoF quality start to one's career.

Because Bo was much closer to that than he was to mediocre as a first time HC.

From a distance? yes.

When you get inside of the wins and losses? LOL. No.

This will always be the debate over the Pelini era. it's nto the wins and losses. it's the trends and how. yes, even in a time where "just winning" is good enough. And cuz of his other issues, just winning wasnt enought. That's really the whole point here.

• Fire 3

Bo's behavior when he thought no one was watching is all you need to know about his temperment and self control. All you need to know about what was in his heart and was his full attn was on.

Sure those guys have times of anger. What coach doesnt. Even Riley has had a couple incidents already where he's gone all Pelini on someone. there was a stretch a couple years when Tim Miles, in the stretch of less than a week, purposely cussed in a presser, received a technical foul, and was ejected from a game. The issue is how do those things impact your ability to coach and think, and how does it affect your teams mindset. Some of these guys do that stuff in a calculating manner. You think Saban blew up on kiffin a few weeks back just cuz? No. It was a calculated move. Saban's success makes it possible for that assumption. Look what theyve done since.

And like you demonstrated in your previous post, you myopically compare a first time coached in his 40s to a seasoned veteran who ran through his maturing issues on the obscure sidelines of MAC and MSU. And he still didn't have it sorted out before his embarrassment around the dolphins thing.