OWH Herbstriet Interview

Mavric

There is still some lingering animosity over the YouTube video where he gets all pissy about what team was the greatest of all time, and when it was '95 NU vs '71 NU he got all mad.

He addresses that in the article. He might just be covering his ass(it's pretty easy to make excuses for things in hindsight), but he claims that the producer had influenced him to create controversy. I don't buy what he said about the recent game day incident. But who really cares?

He could be doing an interview with Coach Rilely...on his knees (wait for it)...rubbing Riley's feet while saying he was the best coach that Nebraska has had since TO and that the Huskers are the greatest team of all time overall.

And Husker fans would complain that he wasn't using lotion on Riley's feet.

Just wait for the game thread this weekend...there will be post after post hating on him.

He could be doing an interview with Coach Rilely...on his knees (wait for it)...rubbing Riley's feet while saying he was the best coach that Nebraska has had since TO and that the Huskers are the greatest team of all time overall.

And Husker fans would complain that he wasn't using lotion on Riley's feet.

Just wait for the game thread this weekend...there will be post after post hating on him.

Well, duh.

You gotta use baby oil.

The guys were laughing at me because they know that Nebraska fans hate me and so when I was trying to give compliments to Nebraska, they were laughing at me ...

Ha ha! Herbie needs to get over himself. Nebraska fans don't hate him. I think most Husker fans actually sort of like Kirk. Or at least they like him more than most talking heads. Oh sure, when he makes some boneheaded comment Husker fans are going to call him out on it. But that doesn't mean they *hate* him.

He noted earlier that it's not all Nebraska fans:

What I have to guard against, I cant let that affect how I talk about their team, Herbstreit said. Theres a tendency if you could read some of the things that some of these fans say as consistently as I get from that fan base itd be easy to want to see them lose, just for that contingent of their fan base. But I dont get that way at all. I stay impartial and neutral.

Also this:

Every fan base has those fans that dont represent the real fans, that 5 to 10 percent that you wish werent your own fans. Those are the ones that I think I hear from the most from Nebraska.

• Fire 1

The guys were laughing at me because they know that Nebraska fans hate me and so when I was trying to give compliments to Nebraska, they were laughing at me ...

Ha ha! Herbie needs to get over himself. Nebraska fans don't hate him. I think most Husker fans actually sort of like Kirk. Or at least they like him more than most talking heads. Oh sure, when he makes some boneheaded comment Husker fans are going to call him out on it. But that doesn't mean they *hate* him.

What I have to guard against, I cant let that affect how I talk about their team, Herbstreit said. Theres a tendency if you could read some of the things that some of these fans say as consistently as I get from that fan base itd be easy to want to see them lose, just for that contingent of their fan base. But I dont get that way at all. I stay impartial and neutral.

Also this:

Every fan base has those fans that dont represent the real fans, that 5 to 10 percent that you wish werent your own fans. Those are the ones that I think I hear from the most from Nebraska.

Of course you realize that some of those 5 to 10 percent are members of HB. :P

Also this:

Of course you realize that some of those 5 to 10 percent are members of HB. :P
You got something to say?! :D

I'd like to think Nebraska fans don't hate anyone, its not who we are; but that is a little idealistic.

I truely believe that what he said about Howard and Pollard laughing at him on that segment on Gameday is true, but when you watch it that is not what it looks like.

When I watched that segment my take was basically how he described it.

Just an inside joke that many people wouldn't have understood if they didn't know or remember the history of him with NU fans.

They probably should have clarified, but at least I got it- and I'm pretty dense.

He's fine. He and Chris Fowler are one of the better broadcast teams and Kirk also does a good job on Gameday. My biggest gripe with him, and it goes for most ESPN personalities, is their constant drooling about overrated SEC teams (Tennessee, Mississippi, etc.,.).

I think anybody who personally and directly "attacks" someone over football- be it broadcasters, coaches, players or recruits- is either 12-years-old or seriously immature. I also don't think NU fans are more sensitive but we do have a disproportionately large fanbase and a very active online presence and, by extension, more kooks to troll him.

The very simple solution is to win games. In the early 90s, everybody- particularly the media- didn't give Nebraska much respect after seven years of bowl losses. Tom Osborne "couldn't win the big one." They changed their tune when Nebraska forced them to respect us by winning games and crushing all their arguments against us. It will take the same thing to change opinions now. Nobody is going to give the Huskers anything. If they want it they have to take it. You want national respect? Beat a nationally respected and perennially highly ranked team like Ohio State.