TA & POB

Start POB, redshirt him next year while Lee starts and go from there?

If you do this, then who is your back up next year? Gebbia? I don't think that works well at all.Don't pull O'Briens redshirt this year unless Ryker goes down. That way next year Tanner Lee can start (assuming he beats out POB) and POB can be his backup while Gebbia redshirts.

He can still be the backup...you don't "redshirt" until the end of the year...so keep his as #2 and maybe you get lucky and never have to play him.

He's already a backup and we're already hoping we don't have to play him...what's your point?

My point is...you can play his this year if he gives the team a better chance to win over Fyfe... And you could still redshirt him next year if you wanted. How is this difficult? Shoot, we have a LBer doing the same thing right now. Plus, we have been told over and over how Tanner Lee is basically one and done, a possible first round pick.

We are NOT going to play him over Fyfe. The only way POB sees the field is if Fyfe and Armstrong are both out. We are not going to pull his redshirt this year in order to play him just because fans think he can win us a couple of games, it hurts us long term because next year our backup is redshirting or never gets his redshirt year. Why is this difficult for you?Who cares if Tanner is one and done? POB will still get his development time.

It is difficult for you!

I'm not saying they are doing it, I'm saying it is an option and it was done before.

It's not an option because Riley has said it's not. And in this situation its not a smart move.

If you do this, then who is your back up next year? Gebbia? I don't think that works well at all.Don't pull O'Briens redshirt this year unless Ryker goes down. That way next year Tanner Lee can start (assuming he beats out POB) and POB can be his backup while Gebbia redshirts.
He can still be the backup...you don't "redshirt" until the end of the year...so keep his as #2 and maybe you get lucky and never have to play him.
He's already a backup and we're already hoping we don't have to play him...what's your point?
My point is...you can play his this year if he gives the team a better chance to win over Fyfe... And you could still redshirt him next year if you wanted. How is this difficult? Shoot, we have a LBer doing the same thing right now. Plus, we have been told over and over how Tanner Lee is basically one and done, a possible first round pick.
We are NOT going to play him over Fyfe. The only way POB sees the field is if Fyfe and Armstrong are both out. We are not going to pull his redshirt this year in order to play him just because fans think he can win us a couple of games, it hurts us long term because next year our backup is redshirting or never gets his redshirt year. Why is this difficult for you?Who cares if Tanner is one and done? POB will still get his development time.
It is difficult for you!I'm not saying they are doing it, I'm saying it is an option and it was done before.
It's not an option because Riley has said it's not. And in this situation its not a smart move.
It is an option...It is always an option.

Still not understanding why people would want a redshirt preserved if POB offers the best opportunity to win games. Several goals are still out there - NU could still sneak into the CCG.

The team, especially the seniors, deserves to have the players play who give them the best opportunity to win.

Unless POB is demanding to redshirt, you pull it if he's your best option to win. Unless you fear you can't effectively recruit a QB during the next several years (not to mention the option to redshirt him next year).

For another thing, reps this year will be very beneficial to him if he's going to make a push for time next year.

• Fire 1

Still not understanding why people would want a redshirt preserved if POB offers the best opportunity to win games. Several goals are still out there - NU could still sneak into the CCG.

The team, especially the seniors, deserves to have the players play who give them the best opportunity to win.

Unless POB is demanding to redshirt, you pull it if he's your best option to win. Unless you fear you can't effectively recruit a QB during the next several years (not to mention the option to redshirt him next year).

For another thing, reps this year will be very beneficial to him if he's going to make a push for time next year.

Not only do they want a redshirt preserved, but then they go on to explain how a completely different guy will be the QB for the foreseeable future. You play the best guy you have right now.....that's why they came here.

Not only do they want a redshirt preserved, but then they go on to explain how a completely different guy will be the QB for the foreseeable future. You play the best guy you have right now.....that's why they came here.

Because people have been convinced by Riley to go with the long-view approach. While there is nothing wrong with a long-view approach, there should also be a focus on the current season. If there are players that can make a difference in winning games this season, they should be playing. The coaches should be able to recruit and develop their replacements by the time these players leave the program in 3-4 years. That's what every successful coach in college football does.

I think that many of us feel that this year is now over. Our chances to make it to indy are slim.

Plus, we have been told over and over how Tanner Lee is basically one and done, a possible first round pick.

I've not heard this, do you have a quote you can link?
No...just posters posting how great he is and might be gone after a year

I see. I thought that him petitioning for that 6th year was telling.

CM, wow, I am in shock. I actually agree with you.

We have 3 games left, 1/4 of the season. Seniors playing their last games and Nebraska trying to move forward.

If he is the best player we have, and Tommy can not play, you pull the shirt and get it on. Now if he is not the best, or the difference between him and Ryker is so trivial, who cares.

Him getting three games in this year could give him a tremendous amount of confidence and experience in for next year.

The idea behind Nebraska football is to play games, put the best players on the field and not prepare for the perfect storm.

If Ryker can win those games great, but if not the other players on the team are owed the best player possible, nothing more, nothing less.

I am hoping Tommy can play, but also am on the list of glad this ends after this year. I love the kid, his dedication, effort, and obvious love for the program, but we needed much better in every aspect.

It is difficult for you!I'm not saying they are doing it, I'm saying it is an option and it was done before.

It is an option...It is always an option.

If you say so...