TA & POB

Think a lot more goes into this decision than what we know about. This decision has to have been made earlier in the season to give our team the best chance to win. There are only so many reps you get in practice, and obviously you want TA to get the majority of those reps. After him you give what you have leftover to Ryker so he can get as much work as possible to be ready if TA goes down. You cant have Ryker and POB splitting the 2nd reps, bc you might have neither QB ready to go if TA is to go down. They probably decided early in the year that it is best for the team and POB if Ryker gets the 2nd string reps and POB redshirts. Also from what I have heard is that right now Ryker is the better replacement and POB is still learning the pace of the game and working on consistency. I have no problem conserving POB redshirt.

If POB is the better chance to win, his loss would be better. If he truly is the better QB and can do the job.

Unfortunately no one knows the answer.

If he can play, getting three games and possibly four with the bowl game, it could make next year a lot easier to deal with. Nothing compares to game time snaps is what I have been told for ever.

I come from a high level racing background. You never put on a part that is not quite perfect, or at least the best you can afford to put on the machine. Every race is important, this really is not any different. POB came to Nebraska to play football, if his services are needed and will help Nebraska, he should play. This holding on to a red shirt and possibly taking a loss for it is just plain stupid to me.

If we win out and do well in our bowl game, with POB leading it prepares us for next year. Showing that a young QB can come in and do the job will give other young men the idea they can come in and play. We need to have several capable of running the team. Personally I think he should have played in every game. Your back up should not just represent survival mode.

Proper, prior, preparation, prevents, piss poor, performance. I have lived my life by those 7 words.

Start POB, redshirt him next year while Lee starts and go from there?

If you do this, then who is your back up next year? Gebbia? I don't think that works well at all.

Don't pull O'Briens redshirt this year unless Ryker goes down. That way next year Tanner Lee can start (assuming he beats out POB) and POB can be his backup while Gebbia redshirts.

He can still be the backup...you don't "redshirt" until the end of the year...so keep his as #2 and maybe you get lucky and never have to play him.

He's already a backup and we're already hoping we don't have to play him...what's your point?

My point is...you can play his this year if he gives the team a better chance to win over Fyfe...

And you could still redshirt him next year if you wanted.

How is this difficult?

Shoot, we have a LBer doing the same thing right now.

Plus, we have been told over and over how Tanner Lee is basically one and done, a possible first round pick.

We are NOT going to play him over Fyfe. The only way POB sees the field is if Fyfe and Armstrong are both out. We are not going to pull his redshirt this year in order to play him just because fans think he can win us a couple of games, it hurts us long term because next year our backup is redshirting or never gets his redshirt year. Why is this difficult for you?

Who cares if Tanner is one and done? POB will still get his development time.

One doesn't develop on the scout team. There is no substitute for game experience. NU lacks competition at every position. Competition develops depth. Either the talent is not their to develop or the coaches can not develop the talent.

Start POB, redshirt him next year while Lee starts and go from there?

If you do this, then who is your back up next year? Gebbia? I don't think that works well at all.

Don't pull O'Briens redshirt this year unless Ryker goes down. That way next year Tanner Lee can start (assuming he beats out POB) and POB can be his backup while Gebbia redshirts.

He can still be the backup...you don't "redshirt" until the end of the year...so keep his as #2 and maybe you get lucky and never have to play him.

He's already a backup and we're already hoping we don't have to play him...what's your point?

My point is...you can play his this year if he gives the team a better chance to win over Fyfe...

And you could still redshirt him next year if you wanted.

How is this difficult?

Shoot, we have a LBer doing the same thing right now.

Plus, we have been told over and over how Tanner Lee is basically one and done, a possible first round pick.

We are NOT going to play him over Fyfe. The only way POB sees the field is if Fyfe and Armstrong are both out. We are not going to pull his redshirt this year in order to play him just because fans think he can win us a couple of games, it hurts us long term because next year our backup is redshirting or never gets his redshirt year. Why is this difficult for you?

Who cares if Tanner is one and done? POB will still get his development time.

One doesn't develop on the scout team. There is no substitute for game experience. NU lacks competition at every position. Competition develops depth. Either the talent is not their to develop or the coaches can not develop the talent.

The practice needs to feel like a game and it is your way to the next level. Somebody stated earlier how many backup qb's actually get action in the games and unless you are a top 5 team - it isn't happening very often. The old days of having 5 games on your schedule that were decided late in the first quarter are gone in college football.

POB is running with the scout team, Fyfe is running with the ones and twos. Fyfe will play if TA is out, and POB will become the designated backup for Fyfe. There is no scenario in which we burn his redshirt unless BOTH TA and Fyfe are hurt.

At this point, I think they're all in for protecting POB's redshirt, and Darlington would take snaps if something happened to Fyfe.

Just so I'm clear, Tanner Lee can only play one season (2017), right? He redshirted in 2013, played in 14 and 15, is sitting in 16...so you get 5 to play 4, unless he gets a waiver (that would seem unlikely to me from my experience), he can only play one season for the Huskers.

He would be draft eligible, if he chooses to go that route, but I can't imagine his stock could be any lower having not played for a season.

Sounds like he'll play for one year, POB will back him up next year, then POB will have up to 3 years to lead the team.

Am I missing anything on this?

Just so I'm clear, Tanner Lee can only play one season (2017), right? He redshirted in 2013, played in 14 and 15, is sitting in 16...so you get 5 to play 4, unless he gets a waiver (that would seem unlikely to me from my experience), he can only play one season for the Huskers.

He would be draft eligible, if he chooses to go that route, but I can't imagine his stock could be any lower having not played for a season.

Sounds like he'll play for one year, POB will back him up next year, then POB will have up to 3 years to lead the team.

Lee petitioned the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility and he actually received it. He has 2 seasons of eligibility left (2017 and 2018).

From what I heard, POB was pretty pissed off after Lee was given that extra year in 2018, and POB was upset that the coaching staff was pushing so hard for Lee to get that year of eligibility.

He got another year; he's eligible for 2 years past this one.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/transfer-quarterback-tanner-lee-granted-additional-year-of-eligibility/article_84d4a3ec-61bd-11e6-b08b-7fa67954a7f3.html

I would be willing to venture a healthy guess that at least one of POB, Gebbia and Lee won't be at Nebraska in 2018.

• Fire 1

POB is running with the scout team, Fyfe is running with the ones and twos. Fyfe will play if TA is out, and POB will become the designated backup for Fyfe. There is no scenario in which we burn his redshirt unless BOTH TA and Fyfe are hurt.

At this point, I think they're all in for protecting POB's redshirt, and Darlington would take snaps if something happened to Fyfe.
yeah, you're right. I made that post before darlington started getting reps this week :P
  • Fire 2

This was my understanding as well.

That is not what Riley has stated.

That is not what Riley has stated.

Recently?

Lee petitioned the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility and he actually received it. He has 2 seasons of eligibility left (2017 and 2018).

From what I heard, POB was pretty pissed off after Lee was given that extra year in 2018, and POB was upset that the coaching staff was pushing so hard for Lee to get that year of eligibility.

I know nothing of POB personally, but this is a normal human reaction, particularly at his age. I would not be surprised if Lee wins the job next year, that POB moves on (particularly if he plays this year and still has a RS).