Langsdorf on Offensive Identity

Mavric

I get wanting to have a couple plays that you feel like will get you that 2 yards or whatever you may need to get the first down 9/10 times. It's like me in Madden, I have a few plays that are my go to's on fourth and a couple that I feel like will give me the best chance of getting the first and almost always work. It'd be great to have something like that as an OC in real life. Problem is those plays don't always work and you have to be able to see that, adapt and figure out different ways to get the first down.

• Fire 1

Isn't this like saying. I'm a vegetarian but I really like eating meat for every meal. I really like Riley but I think it's time to Langsdorf to be replaced. I have to ask myself if I would feel the same if we had won even 1 of the last 2 games, and yes. Because the wins we have had before the past 2 losses were not impressive in my opinion. I know it's hard to pin this all on coaching because our O-Line has been injury riddled. I just have not really been a fan of Langsdorf and his play calling. If they aren't an inside zone team that what team are they. Are we a balanced, run, pass? I do get what he's saying though, because they would like to run the ball but haven't been able to, and without saying it I'm assuming it's because of the poor line play.. However the play calling at the end of the Wisconsin game was not due to line, but rather Langsdorf

Not trying to play armchair OC here. My only question would be that at some point cant you dial up some sort of complexity or something different? I understand the inside zone identity. But what learned in football, as a player and now someone who's coaching it at the youth level, up front, it that when youre outmanned in talent/size/depth (either or all) that's when you have to find a way to create numbers and angles with pin/pull, power, trap, double teams, etc. in partnership with designed run game. Zone is too much of a read/rythem system that when it aint working or youre just overmatched physically, it's really really hard. That'd by my only question.

yep

So we continued to do it.....even when it wasn't working........ Yep. That explains a lot.

The opposite of this layman explanation is something like Tim Beck's multiple. Doesn't seem like Nebraska fan likes that very much either. So what's the solution that makes us happy?

Ah. you wanna talk football. Me too.

power. triple option. 6 passes/game.

As Count mentioned above, and others have said, there are plays and ways that can nullify an athletic pass rush, an aggressive DL. Counters, traps, draw, roll TA out of the pocket etc.... These have been absent.

I'd like an offense that is predicated on a power running game with PA passing. Counters and traps as the "meat" of our running game. Zone read and option to keep D's spread out. I like RPO off the read and option as well.

If our O success is predicated on be able to over power teams, we are in for several losses per year.

Maybe in the staff meetings Langs is saying that we don't have depth, that we are a year or two away from being competitive against "better" teams......I think against Wisky in the 2nd half we had a walk on QB and 3 walk on OL. That's a great story, but its not going to win us conference titles.....and Riley and Co know that. Going forward, what will Langs and Banker do?

Not trying to play armchair OC here. My only question would be that at some point cant you dial up some sort of complexity or something different? I understand the inside zone identity. But what learned in football, as a player and now someone who's coaching it at the youth level, up front, it that when youre outmanned in talent/size/depth (either or all) that's when you have to find a way to create numbers and angles with pin/pull, power, trap, double teams, etc. in partnership with designed run game. Zone is too much of a read/rythem system that when it aint working or youre just overmatched physically, it's really really hard. That'd by my only question.

This. It has been my complaint on Langs the past 4 games. Instead of "over matched physically" I used aggressive D. I like your term better. When we played defenses whose from 7 over matched our OL we struggled. We were unable to exploit their D and ultimately lost 2 of the last 4. I would say in the game we have done "well" i.e. win we simply had better depth and conditioning that allowed us to win i.e. Illinois, Indiana and Purdue........ Langs was also able to exploit their "over matched" i.e. worn done D...

People have screamed, and been ridiculed, on the board for calling out Langs the past few games. People have screamed to the bolded above as well. It appears that Langs wants to run the ball, but for a lack of better wording doesn't "know how". He needs to find a way to run on teams who are, for all intensive purposes, over matching our OL.....

the only thing i can think of is maybe we're just so far into this system, that once we have personnel issues front, there's not enough time and talent to make the quick change. but it's a logical criticism to say that stuff shoulda been implemented as well from the get go.

I really don't think that's it. It's not like we don't have other plays in the playbook. We just don't use them nearly as much. It doesn't take a complete system change. Just a mentality change.

Langsdorf also needs to go to Cavanaugh and say "Get me 5 guys who can block out there or tell me what run plays that your 5 guys are going to block well".

And...we know he hasn't had these conversations....how?

I'm not saying he hasn't had these conversations, and if they have had them, they need to have them again.

Good point. Some of those chalk talk plays against OSU......N O B L O C K I N G at all

the problem is, although we can look at some high profile break downs, there were plenty of examples at OSU and against other teams of this Husker line executing pretty darn well.

Langs has just repeatedly said and demonstrated by, for example, throwing and ball on 2nd and 3rd and short that he has no faith in his guys.

Bottom line is Ohio State is just much much better than we are - across the board (offense, defense, special teams and coaching although I am less concerned, ironically in this one aspect). I said before we played the Buckeyes we might win once in every ten tries. After the game, I think I would adjust that to once in 15 tries. I did not think we'd lose 62-3 but would have said a worst case might be 54 to 10. I think, if healthy, we can beat Wisconsin about half the time. I think we could beat Minnesota 7 times in 10. Those assumptions presume we play hard and have a reasonably good game plan and so on.

Saturday, if our players come out and play their best and give great effort throughout the game, we can and should win, even with Fyfe as our QB and he stays healthy for the whole game. If we lose him, we likely won't win another game for the rest of the year and might not be up to winning for several games into next fall. A green and undeveloped (I believe game experience is vital to proper preparation and development of a QB, especially in a passing oriented attack) does not bode well for Nebraska when we do NOT outman our opponents by a good margin.

If we can't win the battles at the line of scrimmage, the only possible way to move the ball is with the passing game and a great scrambling/running QB who can avoid the inevitable sacks and make something out of nothing. In any case, one won't score much and so you have to win with less than 20 points typically. The O line being able to block is the first requisite to offense - period.

the problem is, although we can look at some high profile break downs, there were plenty of examples at OSU and against other teams of this Husker line executing pretty darn well.

Langs has just repeatedly said and demonstrated by, for example, throwing and ball on 2nd and 3rd and short that he has no faith in his guys.

McKewon was very critical of Langsdorf on this week's Pick 6 Podcast, and his lack of staying committed to the run game against Ohio State. Yes, there were a few plays that were completely blown up with poor line blocking, but there were plenty of run plays that were successful.

Langsdorf has a tendency to bail on the run game at the first sign of failure within the run game. He showed this at times last year, and he showed it against Ohio State.

• Fire 1

Isn't this like saying. I'm a vegetarian but I really like eating meat for every meal. I really like Riley but I think it's time to Langsdorf to be replaced. I have to ask myself if I would feel the same if we had won even 1 of the last 2 games, and yes. Because the wins we have had before the past 2 losses were not impressive in my opinion. I know it's hard to pin this all on coaching because our O-Line has been injury riddled. I just have not really been a fan of Langsdorf and his play calling. If they aren't an inside zone team that what team are they. Are we a balanced, run, pass? I do get what he's saying though, because they would like to run the ball but haven't been able to, and without saying it I'm assuming it's because of the poor line play.. However the play calling at the end of the Wisconsin game was not due to line, but rather Langsdorf

3 of the last 4 plays against Wisc were not what the staff had hoped for based on the QB read. They said the same thing about the last drive in regulation. The chance for sucessful plays were available, however the read was not correct.

Getting TA on the edge is a win for us, however you also need at least one or two blockers out there with him. When the OL in injured it is hard for them to be mobile enough to get out there and support that effort.

As the OL and Cethan get healthy I would hope to see more of TA on the edge.

McKewon was very critical of Langsdorf on this week's Pick 6 Podcast, and his lack of staying committed to the run game against Ohio State. Yes, there were a few plays that were completely blown up with poor line blocking, but there were plenty of run plays that were successful.

Langsdorf has a tendency to bail on the run game at the first sign of failure within the run game. He showed this at times last year, and he showed it against Ohio State.

Yup. Sam likes Danny, but he wasn't playing with kid gloves when discussing the failure of the offense.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/pick-six-podcast-minnesota-preview-ohio-state-recap-nu-s/article_6f56ddbc-a5ee-11e6-8cda-cf33765f9edf.html

• Fire 1