Trump's America

zoogs

So Arpaio walks away unscathed. That in and of itself is outrageous and upsetting.

But another important aspect to this is the precedent this sets. Trump is blaring, loud and clear through a megaphone, that anyone who kisses his ring can break all the laws they want and spit on the Constitution if they buddy up to president and have his back. 

Particularly with LEOs, this precedent is frightening.

And, as Walter Shaub points out, don't expect anyone implicated in the Russia deal to ever face any serious charges. Don't squeal, because I'll bail you out anyway, no matter what.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, zoogs said:

If you got Trump's back, he's got your back. Laws be damned.

Trump's America is the cruelest mockery yet of our ideals.

Agreed!

I would toss what the Native Americans went through and slavery and what a lot of Japanese went though during WWII in that category as well.

That lady is AWFUL. Overall, gun sales are slumping right now, which goes to show how powerful having a Democrat is in office for the NRA. Screeching about how they're coming for your guns is the best gift they could have.

Now Trump's there and the NRA doesn't know who to demonize, so they've taken to going after the "elites" and "fake news media." They're essentially just another propaganda arm for the Trump administration.

She tweeted after Charlottesville about how all groups based on identity politics and not freedom are "not on her side." Somebody kindly reminded her the Nazis in Charlottesville were gun toting nutjobs squarely in the GOP base.

Here's her response and the logical follow-up:

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't own guns so I am totally out of the loop on gun sales but are they really down?

Pretty good article summing it up, teach.

This snippet at the end surprised me. I knew this number would be high, but I didn't think it would be THAT high.

There were at least 265m guns in American civilian hands in 2015, according to the most rigorous recent academic survey, although other estimates put the number even higher. Those millions of guns are highly concentrated, with just 3% of American adults owning half of the country’s guns, researchers found. These gun super-owners own an average of 17 guns each.