Trump's America

zoogs

That's powerful. To understand that political speech is not an assertion of fact but a declaration of intent -- this is a point so obvious it is easily missed, because the default reaction is to have a debate over reality.

That fight is important, because it's a critical tool for either side, but so too is recognizing what your opponents intend to do.

• Fire 2

It's called party politics.

As long as someone has a certain letter beside their name, what ever they say is what is to be believed.

It's still really sad that an issue we should be on the same page on (and pretty much were before Trump opened his mouth) is suddenly a partisan issue due to the words of a moron.

As long as someone has a certain letter beside their name, what ever they say is what is to be believed.

It's still really sad that an issue we should be on the same page on (and pretty much were before Trump opened his mouth) is suddenly a partisan issue due to the words of a moron.

I can't argue with that.

It's still really sad that an issue we should be on the same page on (and pretty much were before Trump opened his mouth) is suddenly a partisan issue due to the words of a financially motivated moron.

FIFY.

It's OK, though. I'm sure he's got money to make and lenders to not piss off.

A rather chilling look into the future-- the Freedom Caucus's recommendations for Trump's presidency.

TL;DR: Dismantle climate change policies (including complete defunding of our contributions toward the Paris Accord), make our kids fatter, get rid of Obama's time-and-a-half rule, destroy oversight for for-profit colleges regardless of how poorly their students do or how much debt they rack up, deregulate banking again (YAY! What could possibly go wrong?) and cripple consumer protection bureaus, toss out transgender protection in schools because it's burdensome and dangerous, restrict access to a non-addictive opioid used to prevent withdrawal while getting opioid/painkiller addicts clean (continuing our fantastic war on drugs), restrict birth control and women's health services as much as possible, deregulate food safety, toss out DACA and essentially legislate a Joe Arpaio mindset nationally when dealing with immigration, and make supersonic flight over land legal again (apparently the FAA made it illegal due to noise from sonic booms?).

And that's just the stuff actually in the article.

I knew the Freedom Caucus were a bunch of nutters, but man, seeing it all laid out is painful. These people are going to be leading a very ignorant man around by the hand. Again, what could go wrong?

• Fire 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again) why are anti-big-government people okay with businesses doing whatever they want even when it harms the public? There are good reasons for regulations. They protect the public. People don't trust the government. Fine. But why trust corporations to do the right thing when we know that hasn't always been the case. Why trust corporations more than you trust the government?

Of course some of them will do the right thing on their own but we need protections in place to protect the public from the sh**ty ones who care for nothing except their profits. People have died due to businesses being neglectful and/or hiding things.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who won't make money off of the stuff dudeguyy just posted would be for those things. How does the Republican Party dupe so many people?

• Fire 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again) why are anti-big-government people okay with businesses doing whatever they want even when it harms the public? There are good reasons for regulations. They protect the public. People don't trust the government. Fine. But why trust corporations to do the right thing when we know that hasn't always been the case. Why trust corporations more than you trust the government?

Of course some of them will do the right thing on their own but we need protections in place to protect the public from the sh**ty ones who care for nothing except their profits. People have died due to businesses being neglectful and/or hiding things.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who won't make money off of the stuff dudeguyy just posted would be for those things. How does the Republican Party dupe so many people?

I'm an anti-big-government person who understands the need for regulations. I'm not opposed to regulations because of what you have said.

However, there is a difference between having reasonable regulations that protect the workers and out of control OSHA agency that can absolutely cripple or put a company out of business simply by walking through the door.

Years ago, we had an OSHA inspector come in. I wasn't too worried because we do take safety seriously. We have a full time safety person, we have at least two meetings per week that discuss it with supervisors or employees. We reprimand employees who don't take it seriously. We have our insurance agency come in and do a safety audit...among other things.

However, once he left, we were stuck with close to $100,000 in fines. The worst of the offenses were a couple extension cords on the ground and one saw where maintenance had removed a shield and neglected to put it back on. The rest were very very minor things that our insurance company didn't even know would result in a fine.

We ended up negotiating down to around $40,000.

As of August, OSHA fines have almost doubled. So, a visit like before would come in around $200,000 and I'm being told they are much less likely to negotiate.

This is absurd.

I'm an anti-big-government person who understands the need for regulations. I'm not opposed to regulations because of what you have said.

However, there is a difference between having reasonable regulations that protect the workers and out of control OSHA agency that can absolutely cripple or put a company out of business simply by walking through the door.

Years ago, we had an OSHA inspector come in. I wasn't too worried because we do take safety seriously. We have a full time safety person, we have at least two meetings per week that discuss it with supervisors or employees. We reprimand employees who don't take it seriously. We have our insurance agency come in and do a safety audit...among other things.

However, once he left, we were stuck with close to $100,000 in fines. The worst of the offenses were a couple extension cords on the ground and one saw where maintenance had removed a shield and neglected to put it back on. The rest were very very minor things that our insurance company didn't even know would result in a fine.

We ended up negotiating down to around $40,000.

As of August, OSHA fines have almost doubled. So, a visit like before would come in around $200,000 and I'm being told they are much less likely to negotiate.

This is absurd.

Dude..OSHA is insane...period.

You should have seen what we were "actually" supposed to do while putting gas into our Cushman work-carts at the golf course I worked at as a kid.