Repealing the ACA under Trump

Trump support feeds on and requires ignorance.

Blow up the unimportant and the garbage, and who knows/cares when it comes to policy that matters. It's a reprehensible abandonment of our civic duty as Americans.

I'm sure Dewiz is laughing his Ossoff at how much winning this new healthcare bill will bring to the middle class.

If you've ever heard someone talk about a "race to the bottom" with healthcare, this is exactly what they mean.

If you loosen up regulations for what must be covered, nobody wants to be the insurer left holding the bag. If other companies drop these (expensive) coverages, their competitors will follow suit.

Basically, we've got to hope that we don't ever develop a condition that requires long-term, ongoing or expensive care. If you do... good luck getting insurance to pay for it.

• Fire 2

Hurts kids, hurts the elderly... I could go on.

If this is anything like the House bill, premiums are going to go up, at least in the interim, unless you're young and healthy. Deductibles are going to go way up regardless. That's where those health savings accounts conservatives love so much come into play. Got a bunch of resources saved up? GREAT! You can pay out of pocket when you get sick. Don't have a bunch of resources saved up? TOUGH! Put your money towards some new bootstraps and get used to pulling yourself up by 'em...

• Fire 2

The important thing to note I think is how many people will be fine with this, or reasonably close. Or who will accept it under various headings of “nothing can be done”. It’s not like the state of healthcare was optimal before — which turns out to be a great pretext for making things much worse. (The immediate analogy that comes to mind is public schools)

• Fire 2

I get the feeling there's a sense of inevitability about the whole thing.

"Republicans have been telling us for years Obamacare is an awful dumpster fire. It's collapsing now and they're in charge, so I guess it's time we give them a shot to do things their way."

The bolded really bothers me because some people (far too many) seem to give carte blanche to the GOP on this. This gives them cover to pass whatever crapburger they want, however they want, simply because it's their turn to try and they've told us forever how awful the ACA is and how much better they can do.

I can handle people not wanting to get down into the weeds on healthcare policy. But that ignorance fundamentally excuses away a massive redistribution of wealth from those who need it to survive to those who already have it. I hope they find out what the real consequences of this bill will be, sooner rather than later, and hold the GOP responsible for the death and destruction they've wrought.

• Fire 1

Hurts kids, hurts the elderly... I could go on.

If this is anything like the House bill, premiums are going to go up, at least in the interim, unless you're young and healthy. Deductibles are going to go way up regardless. That's where those health savings accounts conservatives love so much come into play. Got a bunch of resources saved up? GREAT! You can pay out of pocket when you get sick. Don't have a bunch of resources saved up? TOUGH! Put your money towards some new bootstraps and get used to pulling yourself up by 'em...

Gotta love that "100% Pro Life" and "Heartbeats" GOP!

I can handle people not wanting to get down into the weeds on healthcare policy. But that ignorance fundamentally excuses away a massive redistribution of wealth from those who need it to survive to those who already have it. I hope they find out what the real consequences of this bill will be, sooner rather than later, and hold the GOP responsible for the death and destruction they've wrought.

Yeah. And Obamacare wasn't so smooth, either. It made things worse for some, though it tried to mitigate this. Overall it still left some major issues unaddressed. But for many, it was a godsend. We went through those bumps to get closer to a dream of insuring everyone, and to establish a view of healthcare as a human right.

For what are we going through these 'bumps' (if not outright sacrifices)? Funneling money upwards?

• Fire 1

Yeah. And Obamacare wasn't so smooth, either. It made things worse for some, though it tried to mitigate this. Overall it still left some major issues unaddressed. But for many, it was a godsend. We went through those bumps to get closer to a dream of insuring everyone, and to establish a view of healthcare as a human right.

What are we going through these 'bumps' -- if not outright sacrifices -- for? Funneling money upwards?

That's exactly what it's for.