Repealing the ACA under Trump

Well, in my defense, back in those days I was getting a good portion of my news on Obamacare from Fox and Rush.... :P

This is a perfectly good defense! :D

Distortions -- which come from both sides, to be fair -- have a way of sticking. We all come across many things we don't have the time or interest to vet. As long as we don't lose the ability to do so!

• Fire 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/06/19/trump-simply-does-not-care-about-hivaids-say-6-experts-who-just-quit-his-advisory-council/?utm_term=.b2038a29f02b

Last week, he and five others announced they were quitting the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS, also known as PACHA. According to Schoettes, the last straw — or “more like a two-by-four than a straw” — had come in May, after the Republican-dominated House passed the American Health Care Act, which he said would have “devastating” effects on those living with HIV.

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/6/21/15811036/health-care-donald-trump-mitch-mcconnell-philip-klein

A “conservative health care wonk” opining on the AHCA and his own visions of a market-based solution.

Klein never really tells how everyone is going to have access to healthcare under a totally free market system. He also never really explains how health care will be paid for.

Klein doesn't think everyone should have access, and free-market healthcare costs will go down as the sickest people can no longer afford healthcare. Basically survival of the healthiest or wealthiest.

What none of these free-market healthcare people acknowledge is that universal healthcare has been working all over the world, and free-market healthcare works no where (that I'm aware of).

• Fire 1

This is a small baby step in the right direction.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-drug-pricing-executive-order-2017-6

Here's a very interesting alternate take. Same topic, right?

This can all be traced back to a meeting President Donald Trump had with pharmaceutical CEOs back in January. There, he basically outlined that he would be doing everything that's in the draft executive order, but he also told executives, "You have to keep your prices down."

That was it. Then they all got in their private jets and flew back to their corner offices. That day, the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index had its best day in weeks, gaining nearly 3%, as the market indicated that no one was afraid of the big bad Trump.

Lol. Who knew it was that easy? Glad we've got the best brain on the job MAGAing us into the foreseeable future!

I do like BRB's article. That does indeed sound like a step in the right direction, if any substantial action occurs. But none of that work regarding generics will do anything to drive down name brand drugs still in their patent phase. It will only add a reasonably priced alternative later.

Well the ACA may not have been rammed through to the same extent the GOP may try to ram this one through but, yes, it was rammed through nonetheless.

You don't remember Pelosi encouraging it's passage, prior to reading the bill, so they could see what was in it later? I would call that ramming it through.

Unfortunately, that is probably the only way any bill can make it anymore. If either side allows any time whatsoever, the partisan spin and whining from across the aisle would be deafening. It seems to be an inverse relationship. The worse the bill, the faster it will try to be rammed through. Of course this Congress is redefining bad legislation so....

I have zero hope they will get anything right on this bill. Still no one is talking about actually making healthcare more affordable by fixing the cost issues. It's all smoke and mirrors, much like the ACA except that one actually fixed some access issues.

Thought you'd find this article interesting, El D. You're one very interested in trying to address the actual cost of healthcare, instead of shuffling things around by trying to provide people with more access.

How Two Common Medications Became One $455 Million Specialty Pill

Basically, an insane markup involving an NSAID painkiller and an acid reflux pill. You could take both separately or get the combo version. The combo version is name-brand, thus more expensive, but the out-of-pocket cost was covered for the consumer through a special rebate program that had to be filled by a participating (not many would) pharmacy, and most insurance companies would reject the outrageous claim that came later from the pharmacy. But not all of them would deny the claim - to the tune of about $900M annual profits for this ONE company for this pill and another one with the exact same combo but a different NSAID & stomach medicine.

It's an article all about the insane excesses and wastes inherent in Big Pharma. Enjoy!