Trump's 7 point Drain the Swamp Plan & 100 Day Agenda

Agreed BRB. I haven't studied it but I understand the Freedom Caucus was more open to the 2015 version. For some reason, Ryan didn't push his earlier version. I could go conspiracy here with wild guesses but I think Ryan ends up as the 'loser'. Trump will spin this and move on and tell us all that 'they', Congress, didn't work hard enough.

This should be a win for the freedom caucus, at least in the near term. They were pressured to sign on and rebuffed the White House. Trump has egg on his face.

My worry here is that Bannon wins out. Trump will seek wins in other areas. Healthcare is complicated. "Tough on terrorism/crime/etc" is not. The way his administration will pursue this was frightening enough when dismantling healthcare was still their first priority.

Since this thread was initially created to talk about lobbyists, I thought this was an interesting read on them:

It mentions Trump's EO on lobbying, and how they're either ignoring or exempting ex-lobbyists from his declaration that they cannot work on issues for which they've directly lobbied in the past. The rule shown in the tweet details how the exemptions work - Trump removed rules both for the OGE to list such waivers annually and explain why they were granted in public interest.

The article found 3 ex-lobbyists hired to government positions dealing directly with issues on which they've previously lobbied. I also pointed out the ex-Anthem lobbyist that was hired as WH council and may soon lead the DOJ antitrust division, in charge of overseeing mergers... like the Anthem-Cigna one.

Had to bump this one to point out that on the issue of lobbyists, like with many others, the emperor has no clothes.

Bump.

Remember how I said that guy who lobbied for Anthem could possibly head up the DOJ antitrust division?

Well, guess what:

• Fire 2
  • 1 month later...

President Trump signed an executive order in late January — echoing language first endorsed by Mr. Obama — that prohibited lobbyists and lawyers hired as political appointees from working for two years on “particular” government matters that involved their former clients. In the case of former lobbyists, they could not work on the same regulatory issues they had been involved in.

Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Obama reserved the right to issue waivers to this ban. Mr. Obama, unlike Mr. Trump, automatically made any such waivers public, offering detailed explanations. The exceptions were typically granted for people with special skills, or when the overlap between the new federal work and a prior job was minor.

Ms. Glynn, who worked in the office of government ethics for nearly two decades, said she had never heard of a move by any previous White House to block a request like Mr. Shaub’s. She recalled how the Bush White House had intervened with a federal agency during her tenure to get information that she needed.

Ethics watchdogs, as well as Democrats in Congress, have expressed concern at the number of former lobbyists taking high-ranking political jobs in the Trump administration. In many cases, they appear to be working on the exact topics they had previously handled on behalf of private-sector clients — including oil and gas companies and Wall Street banks — as recently as January.

• Fire 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where to put this, this seems as good as any.

A wedding planner who coordinated the big day for Donald Trump''s son Eric, has been selected to run the main federal housing programme in New York.

Lynne Patton is thought to have no experience in housing administration, but she will now be in charge of distributing billions of dollars of funding across the state area as head of the New York branch of the US Department of Housing.

Ms Patton has had close ties to the Trump family for the past eight years and previously arranged celebrity golf tournaments at the president’s various courses.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-ericwedding-planner-lynne-patton-new-york-federal-housing-programme-a7792911.html

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...