Trump's 7 point Drain the Swamp Plan & 100 Day Agenda

zoogs, that last paragraph is what must have been on Obama's mind when he's looking at Trump during their meeting. His look is a mixture of scorn and pity.

reEs50c.jpg

Obama knows what Trump's getting himself into. He knows how difficult Trump's life is going to be these next few years. You can see it in the grim lines of his face.

• Fire 2

:rant Corporations both businesses and sports teams (think huge new stadiums) have learned to feast at the public troth. Corporate welfare is a problem on all levels of governance - Federal bank and auto bailouts, States compete wt other States for a business, Cities within those states give benefits to draw them to their city. If Trump wants to 'fix Washington' he needs to deal wt this type of welfare as well as individual welfare programs. (...)

I do believe govt has a role in fostering business. Helping emerging industries, incubation process, tax incentives for bring jobs back to the USA. When the govt has a 'Big Idea' like NASA was in the 1960s it spurs all kinds of development for businesses directly and indirectly. Energy can do the same during our current time frame. (...)

TG, you're such a liberal! :D

I'm not opposed to government spending, by any means, but as you say, there must be a compelling case made for it. Investing in emerging industries, or the nation's future. IMO, stimulus spending in order to respond to a recession.

Likewise, I'm all for fostering competitive and healthy markets, and keeping the economy strong. This doesn't mean policy that enables ever-increasing shares of wealth to be funneled to the very top, where they're sat on.

The GOP, for a long time, has been the ultimate champion of corporate handouts. It's a twisted joke that they fashion themselves the party of small government, pro economy. They simply have a very different idea of how much corporations need to be lent a helping hand by Uncle Sam.

A three year delay is pretty convenient timing. Repeal in 2017 and then in 2020 during the run-up to the next presidential election they're going to be working on this new plan. If the Dems don't go along with whatever is suggested and stops their plan from being implemented it could cause millions to lose their coverage. Either the congressional Dems cave and Trump gets a huge win or the Dems don't cave and Trump gets a huge win.

I see your point on that. Throughout the decades we've seen that game played. Time things around the elections.

It also allows them time to see what kind of a 'mandate' they have--if they maintain their hold during the mid-term elections, then they know they have carte blanche and the timing will be accelerated. If the GOP loses their hold during midterm elections, then they'll know the Trump win was more of a geopolitical oddity thanks to the Electoral College instead of an actual mandate, and they have time to do an about face on the topic before the next election.

Hey, regarding that "repeal and replace" mantra for Obamacare...

The buyer's remorse from Trump voters will be epic.

I wonder what 'scale back' would look like? I don't think they can run away from the 'everyone is insured' promise of the ACA - hard to roll back a 'right' once given by govt.

I think by and large the public doesn't understand how the healthcare/insurance industries work. They just know that premiums are too damn high right now. But it's like they expect the government to adjust some "premiums" slider in the Healthcare Settings menu while leaving the other sliders alone and things will just get better.

I'm curious about what caused that 17% drop in people who want the ACA dismantled. Could it really be as simple as Trump saying he favors some of it? Were the people cheering "repeal and replace" really have just been completely suggestible and open to whatever their chosen leader was saying? Trump did become somewhat of a cult of personality, so I could see this being the case. What could be the other explanations?

zoogs, that last paragraph is what must have been on Obama's mind when he's looking at Trump during their meeting. His look is a mixture of scorn and pity.

reEs50c.jpg

Obama knows what Trump's getting himself into. He knows how difficult Trump's life is going to be these next few years. You can see it in the grim lines of his face.

And...he really wants to take his left hand and totally mess up Trump's hair.

I don't think it's just Trump saying he's going to keep some of it, I think it's that Trump is a Republican and that's the team they root for.

Bingo.

Right now if Trump came out and said he admits global warming, agrees with a woman's right to choose and thinks the upper 50% of Americans should pay more taxes.......80% of the people who voted for him would be blathering the same thing claiming it's the most amazing statement ever uttered.

I think the drop largely just reflects the political season. The Republican Party did a good job of making it a high-stakes election issue. After the election, the amplifiers die down and everyone's attention turns elsewhere.

We're a public that, for better or for worse, largely tends to be apolitical about a lot of things. I think this election cycle has certainly revealed that. We must be convinced that things are important to fight for.

To an extent, that's fair. But we'd probably get better results if the baseline was a higher level of awareness and investment. Better discourse, more resistance to superficial rabble-rousing. Obamacare's unpopularity surely stems in large part due to a name and image that don't fit with reality.

Yes, by and large, a better educated and more politically invested public would be a good thing.

I guess that's what I was trying to say, Knapp. Trump's base, now largely integrated into the GOP base for the purposes of polls and studies like that Politico one, don't give a crap about Republican orthodoxy. They don't stand for that. They stand for Trump orthodoxy.

• Fire 1

reEs50c.jpg

Does Donald not wear a wedding ring? Just curious, sorry to derail the discussion.

The irony of a red-blooded Trump supporter getting offended anyone called someone a name is astounding.

Any who, this Carrier thing illustrates an important point. Trump will try to buffalo the American public on pretty much any given issue. He's a pathological liar. A free, competent press is really going to be important during his administration. He's already showing tendencies of a serious lack of transparency, and what he does release for public consumption is most likely going to be half-truths at best and outright lies at worst.

The press is going to need to dig in and find the truth on this stuff, much like the Carrier story. It's an interesting dichotomy though since he has spent so much time berating the press and convincing anyone who would listen that they were crooked scum.

We'll just have to see how many people buy that.

I'm only offended by some of the incompetent statements and comparisons being made on this board. Most Trump supporters now wear the Deplorable label as a badge of honor as it exposed the left for what it really has become...a bicoastal party of elites that looks down upon middle America.

Which isn't anything close to what she meant by the statement.

It's easier to play the victim and feel offended than it is to self-examine and possibly find out you were wrong.

Hopefully you are heeding your own advice knapplc

• Fire 1

reEs50c.jpg

Does Donald not wear a wedding ring? Just curious, sorry to derail the discussion.

They can't make one small enough to stay on his tiny fingers.

• Fire 1