Trump's 7 point Drain the Swamp Plan & 100 Day Agenda

Below is an outline of Trump's plan to 'Drain the Swamp' and his 100 days agenda. The 100 day agenda has enough red meat to feed a conservative for a few years and enough to rile a non-conservative for an equal length of time.

Of his Swamp Plan: While I agree wt all of these items, the 3 in bold below may be the most difficult to implement. Not sure Congress will be willing to limit their lifetime job that so many enjoy as a member of Congress as either Senator or Rep. Yes, we hear it all the time and I agree that Elections are the 'term limiters' however, that use to be the case. In the era of big money, it no longer is the case. So term limits may only be treating the symptoms and not the cause. Other issues (potential causes) are:

1. How district lines are drawn every 10 years by the party in power in the individual states.

2. Big money supporting incumbents

3. Franking rules giving incumbents a huge publicity advantage

Regulations: It will be interesting how they will set that up. Implement a rule, remove 2 existing rules. Will the rules be 'weighted' so they have similar values/affects??

Cancel payments to UN climate change programs and spend it on our own environmental issues - I wonder if this is a 'treaty' issue or not. But in light of our national debt, spending the money here on our issues, not only fixes our problems but can spur jobs and growth here as well.

I think the lobbyists proposals are long over due. Frankly, the role of a lobbyist is a back pocket role for most Congressmen. If they lose an election or decide to 'retire' they most likely have the tracks greased to a new position with some

corporation or advocacy group.

Drain the Swamp Plan:

• A Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress Priority C Chance of getting done: Never. Don't think Congress will get it done. Only the proposed Convention of States will accomplish this IMHO.
  • A hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health) Priority A Chance of getting it done: within the next 2 years.
  • A requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated Priority A - needed for Trump to fulfill a major campaign promise. Chance of getting it done: Within first 100 days as part of budget plan
  • A five year ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service Priority A: get money out of politics and return the govt back to the people Chance of getting it done: Withing 4 years only if Congress is pressured by voters
  • A lifetime ban on the White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government Priority A Chance of getting it done: within the next 4 years
  • A complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections Priority A Chance of getting it done: within the next 4 years
  • Cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America’s water and environmental infrastructure Priority B: Chance of getting it done: Within 100 days as a part of the budget plan

100 Day Plan:

Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act: An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4 percent per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. Priority A: Chance of getting it done: 1st 100 days as a part of the budget plan -- achieving the 4% growth and creating 25m new jobs - those chances are far less than the actual passage of this act.

End The Offshoring Act: Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off American workers to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free. Priority A - Chance of getting done: during first 100 days as a part of the budget plan and to fulfill major campaign pledge

American Energy & Infrastructure Act: Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral. Same as above

School Choice Act: Gives parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Priority F Chance of getting it done - Never. I don't think congress will go along with this.

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act: Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also cut the red tape at the FDA to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

Priority A Chance of getting it done - first 100 days to fulfill major campaign pledge and for the Rep congress to but action behind their words of the last 6 years

Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act: Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-site childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families. Priority B: Chance of getting it done: during the next 4 years. A part of the repub plan to be more in touch with the needs of Americans.

End Illegal Immigration Act: Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

Priority A Chance of getting done: first 100 days as a part of major campaign pledge -- getting Mexico to pay, and accomplishing the results may be another thing.

Restoring Community Safety Act: Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars. Priority B Chance of getting done: should be done within 4 years

Restoring National Security Act: Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values.

Priority A: Chances of getting done - a part of his promises this will get done in the next year I believe

Clean up Corruption in Washington Act: Enacts new ethics reforms to “Drain the Swamp” and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.

Priority B Chance of getting done - during the next 4 years

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/23/trumps-seven-point-plan-to-draintheswamp/#ixzz4Q0a9WHMu

So following up with my :backtotopic post above. In red above, I rank the above by priority A B C F(should not even bother). I also noted which ones will get done in first 100 days, during the next 4 years. Never will get accomplished. Let me know what you think.

Let me Add: I should be clearer, in posting the above ratings this is what I think the Trump admin will look at it in priority and act on - except # F and the "Never will get accomplished" which are my views. .

• A complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections Priority A Chance of getting it done: within the next 4 years

What additional laws do people want put in place on this?

•  

Only American citizens (and immigrants with green cards) can contribute to federal politics, but the American divisions of foreign companies can form political action committees (PACs) and collect contributions from their American employees.

I believe the problem is in enforcing it.

It is interesting that the administration that is going to work on this is the same administration that had contact with a foreign government directly in their campaign to be elected.

What additional laws do people want put in place on this?

•  

Only American citizens (and immigrants with green cards) can contribute to federal politics, but the American divisions of foreign companies can form political action committees (PACs) and collect contributions from their American employees.

I believe the problem is in enforcing it.

It is interesting that the administration that is going to work on this is the same administration that had contact with a foreign government directly in their campaign to be elected.

And a campaign that also solicited foreign donations

Come on, people. Let's be real.

Does anybody think the guy who was so extremely proud to have gotten an NRA endorsement (the single biggest reasons the GOP sits on their hands when it comes to gun violence) and wants to appoint Heritage Justices is serious about getting money out of politics? The guy who wouldn't pay his own pollster and whose daughter tried to hock to journalists the stuff she wore in her first real national interview?

DJT is exactly the type of guy who would take kickbacks and look the other way at every opportunity if he thought he could get away with it.

As Red posted, he's already given us evidence where his priorities lie.

• Fire 1

This can be a positive sign. Finding areas of common agreement and working on those issues.

Trump won, but some of his positions are not aligned with mainstream Republicans, and many GOP Congressmen will not agree with him on some issues. Trump may turn to Democrats for support regarding policies to assist working people, which most Republicans have traditionally opposed.
This would not be a bad thing -- in the distant past, when the federal government actually worked, policies were often passed with bipartisan support.
This is not a Republican-versus-Democrat situation -- remember, Trump ran against BOTH parties, and started out by leading a revolt against the Republican establishment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/us/politics/democrats-house-senate.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

quote:

Congressional Democrats, divided and struggling for a path from the electoral wilderness, are constructing an agenda to align with many proposals of President-elect Donald J. Trump that put him at odds with his own party.

On infrastructure spending, child tax credits, paid maternity leave and dismantling trade agreements, Democrats are looking for ways they can work with Mr. Trump and force Republican leaders to choose between their new president and their small-government, free-market principles. Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, elected Wednesday as the new Democratic minority leader, has spoken with Mr. Trump several times, and Democrats in coming weeks plan to announce populist economic and ethics initiatives they think Mr. Trump might like.

Democrats, who lost the White House and made only nominal gains in the House and Senate, face a profound decision after last week’s stunning defeat: Make common cause where they can with Mr. Trump to try to win back the white, working-class voters he took from them, or resist at every turn, trying to rally their disparate coalition in hopes that discontent with an ineffectual new president will benefit them in 2018.

Mr. Trump campaigned on some issues that Democrats have long championed and Republicans resisted: spending more on roads, bridges and rail, punishing American companies that move jobs overseas, ending a lucrative tax break for hedge fund and private equity titans, and making paid maternity leave mandatory.

Some Democrats are even co-opting Mr. Trump’s language from the campaign. “Every single person in our caucus agrees the system is rigged,” said Senator Debbie Stabenow, Democrat of Michigan

Well the Trump team is initiating one of their 'Drain the Swamp' details immediately. This is a good thing. I'm not sure how they can enforce the bold red below. Probably will have legislation created to give teeth to the contract.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Trump-administration-five-year/2016/11/16/id/759321/

People serving in President-elect Donald Trump's administration will be banned from working as lobbyists for five years, Trump's transition team said Wednesday.

"It goes back to Mr. Trump's goal of making sure people aren't using government to enrich themselves," said Sean Spicer, the Republican National Committee's chief strategist and a member of Trump's transition team.

Spicer made the announcement on a media call, according to The Hill.

The website reported everyone appointed to Trump's administration will sign a contract that said they are not currently working as a lobbyist and will not do so within five years of leaving the administration.

NBC News reported Wednesday that Vice President-elect Mike Pence has ordered the removal of all lobbyists from Trump's transition team.

• Fire 2

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-11-17/pence-tells-house-gop-to-get-ready-to-pass-sweeping-legislation

Pence tells Congressional Repubs to expect a lot of legislative action. They plan to be running hard beginning Jan 20. He will be meeting wt Dem leader later - hopefully

to find common ground on some issues as in the post 2 posts above notes.

Well the Trump team is initiating one of their 'Drain the Swamp' details immediately. This is a good thing. I'm not sure how they can enforce the bold red below. Probably will have legislation created to give teeth to the contract.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Trump-administration-five-year/2016/11/16/id/759321/

People serving in President-elect Donald Trump's administration will be banned from working as lobbyists for five years, Trump's transition team said Wednesday.

"It goes back to Mr. Trump's goal of making sure people aren't using government to enrich themselves," said Sean Spicer, the Republican National Committee's chief strategist and a member of Trump's transition team.

The website reported everyone appointed to Trump's administration will sign a contract that said they are not currently working as a lobbyist and will not do so within five years of leaving the administration.

NBC News reported Wednesday that Vice President-elect Mike Pence has ordered the removal of all lobbyists from Trump's transition team.

The only way I can see it would be enforced is if someone leaves and becomes a lobbyist immediately then Trump sues them himself. I can't believe this can be a contract the actual government makes them sign.

The only way I can see it would be enforced is if someone leaves and becomes a lobbyist immediately then Trump sues them himself. I can't believe this can be a contract the actual government makes them sign.

I'm thinking how does a company enforce a 'non-compete' clause in employee agreements? Seems like it would be along the same lines. Of course those are challenged from time to time and I suspect the 5 year rule might be challenged under the right of association clauses.

Actually think about this brought something potentially troubling to mind.

We all know of Trump's affinity for having all his employees sign non-disparagement clauses so they cannot say anything damaging about him without fear of legal recourse.

Who's to say that all of his employees don't have to sign one of those too? If that's the case, those pleading the case for a strong need for whistleblowers within our federal institutions actually make a very strong argument. If Trump starts making places like the FBI, CIA, DOJ et al into sycophantic institutions who bend to his will and do not question him without fear of reprimand... or ever tell us if that's the case... that's a worrying scenario right there.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. These first official hires of his admin have not given me much hope.

I read it again and I mispoke. I shouldn't have said I agree with most. Just the majority (4 out of 7). The other 3 I vehemently disagree with.

Stupid ones: reducing regulations, hiring freeze on federal employees, stop funding to UN for climate change.

I'll just focus on the hiring freeze since some GOP might actually agree with me.

I think most people agree that the U.S. seems to be lagginf behind a bit when it comes to tech, including with the government. E.g. Protecting against cyberattacks (and maybe using them ourselves - although if we're good at that it should stay a secret).

Putting a hiring freeze on federal government is keeping the new young minds from helping that area and keeping us stuck with dinosaurs. Science/statistical methodology is constantly improving but it's hard to keep up to date on it once you join the workforce. We need to have new people with fresh ideas coming in and working for the federal government.