Fake News

"President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob. There are good, decent men and women who go out and work hard every day and put their skills to test that aren't taught by some liberal college professor that tries to indoctrinate them."

- Rick Santorum

"As people do better, they start voting like Republicans - unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing."

- Karl Rove

“We have a president, who I think is a nice guy, but he spent too much time at Harvard, perhaps.”

- Mitt Romney

Yes. Education is the true enemy.

Those are pretty disappointing quotes.

Good lord, some of the quotes in here make me want to grieve for the current iteration of the Republican party.

"Facts aren't really facts."

"Too much education is a bad thing" (for my team)

"You can't prove this is BS." - Mike "There's growing skepticism in the scientific community about global warming/Smoking doesn't kill" Pence

If you want to the party that operates on emotions and not empirical evidence or scientific knowledge, fine. But ADMIT IT. What the hell are these types of quotes going to accomplish? They're actively contributing to the dumbing down of America.

• Fire 1

Since we're on quotes...

Johnathan Gruber - “The lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. You know, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever but basically that was really critical to get the thing to pass.” talking about the ACA.

Hank Johnson - "My fear is that the whole island ( Guam) will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

Johnathan Gruber - “The lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. You know, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever but basically that was really critical to get the thing to pass.” talking about the ACA.

This quote could easily describe the Trump campaign. Obama ran on the idea of being the most transparent president ever, that didn't pan out very well. Just about nobody knows anything about any of these presidents, or their congressperson, none of them.

Lack of transparency permeates politics, and I'm not sure how we'd fix that without a very painful ripping-off of the bandaid.

Context:

In the video, Gruber appeared to be speaking specifically about the political environment in 2010 and its impact on the law’s funding mechanisms. Gruber takes a critical stance on some of those outcomes, calling them "irrational."

"I wish Mark was right and we could make it all transparent but I'd rather have this law than not," Gruber said. "That involves tradeoffs that we don't prefer as economists but are realistic."

I agree that it's irrational, and I don't think it's a positive thing that it has to be that way. The individual mandate survived ultimately as a tax, if I'm not mistaken.

Disinformation, not fake news, got Trump elected and it's not stopping.

I MADE A MISTAKE on Twitter on Sunday night. When I learned that a man with an assault rifle had stormed into a Washington pizzeria to “self-investigate” an online conspiracy theory for which there is no evidence — that the restaurant is a front for child sex abuse involving Hillary Clinton — I decided to confront some of the alt-right bloggers who had played a role in spreading the hoax on the social network.

I think there should be space today to have two different conversations:

A) The way the media covers Trump and whether it is good for the country or has the requisite journalistic integrity (or more broadly, the way they cover anything)

B) The majority of (voting) Americans are apparently pretty stupid when it comes to their news and are willing to believe anything if it supports their team.

I think those are both discussions worth having.

Here is a very interesting article that is frankly not favorable to us conservatives when it comes to fake news.

It seems we are more prone to accept fake news at face value than our more liberal friends - according to one researcher. The research, by John Jost of NY Univ, said it has nothing to do wt intelligence or ability but motivation. He says Quote: "conservatives may be perfectly able to do the kind of critical thinking & cognitive exploration that would lead them to be more skeptical of nonsense and fake news-- they just choose not to, preferring instead to seek out information that allows them to make quick decisions that reinforce their existing views."

However "Not all social scientists are convinced that conservatives and liberals process the world in meaningfully different ways." Another research at Yale, Daniel Kahan, says "his research has found that people on the right are no more vulnerable to political bias than those on the left'. Kahan's research concluded that his tests 'didn't turn up any meaningful difference between the two." "Bottom line, there's ample evidence of politically biased information processing across the entire ideological spectrum."

The article goes back and forth quoting these 2 researchers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/07/why-conservatives-might-be-more-likely-to-fall-for-fake-news/?utm_term=.c773813705c4

• Fire 2

Here is a very interesting article that is frankly not favorable to us conservatives when it comes to fake news.

It seems we are more prone to accept fake news at face value than our more liberal friends - according to one researcher. The research, by John Jost of NY Univ, said it has nothing to do wt intelligence or ability but motivation. He says Quote: "conservatives may be perfectly able to do the kind of critical thinking & cognitive exploration that would lead them to be more skeptical of nonsense and fake news-- they just choose not to, preferring instead to seek out information that allows them to make quick decisions that reinforce their existing views."

However "Not all social scientists are convinced that conservatives and liberals process the world in meaningfully different ways." Another research at Yale, Daniel Kahan, says "his research has found that people on the right are no more vulnerable to political bias than those on the left'. Kahan's research concluded that his tests 'didn't turn up any meaningful difference between the two." "Bottom line, there's ample evidence of politically biased information processing across the entire ideological spectrum."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/07/why-conservatives-might-be-more-likely-to-fall-for-fake-news/?utm_term=.c773813705c4

If my Facebook timeline is in any way representative of this, I would say the people I follow who identify as more conservative were more likely than others to share fake news or highly opinionated/slanted news on their timelines during this last election.

And, if I'm honest, most of these same people (in my timeline) are not college educated.

All that said, I did have a fair number of the more liberal people I'm friends with also sharing outrageously opinionated articles, but the frequency was less. I did not, however, see as many blatantly false stories coming from them, though I did see a few.

If my Facebook timeline is in any way representative of this, I would say the people I follow who identify as more conservative were more likely than others to share fake news or highly opinionated/slanted news on their timelines during this last election.

And, if I'm honest, most of these same people (in my timeline) are not college educated.

All that said, I did have a fair number of the more liberal people I'm friends with also sharing outrageously opinionated articles, but the frequency was less. I did not, however, see as many blatantly false stories coming from them, though I did see a few.

Ditto.

I would agree with this. However, I found that many of the ones doing it on my timeline WERE actually pretty highly educated. One friend from college I know graduated with a 4.0 and then went on to be top 5 in his law class. Others were good friends of mine from college who graduated and went on to have good careers. It totally baffles me that these are the people on my timeline that constantly pass along fake news.

Thinking now about the few people who I had to stop following, one is an electrical contractor so he went to at least a tech school. One graduated from UNK. The other one just had a HS diploma for all I know.