Trump and the Press

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I absolutely see the mainstream news and everything outside of Fox and other conservative leaning news sources. The collective reach of mainstream news dwarfs that of conservative news. While Fox and other conservative news outlets tend to be pro-Trump, that’s not universally the case. Even among conservatives, there is significant disagreement about him. If you don’t visit the site, I encourage you to check out National Review, where they cover the spectrum from never Trump to Pro-Trump and everything between. 

This seems to be kind of an odd distinction to make. Fox News has been the most highly watched cable news channel since the W Bush administration.

primetotallarge.jpg

FT_Fox_News.png

chartoftheday_8165_tv_networks_viewers_t

Couldn't find a good graph showing 2014-2015 but I'm assuming nothing changed.

The data is pretty clear. Fox News has a pretty clear hold on conservatives and has continued to be the most watched cable news network for going on two decades now. It's a shame the conservatives who actually critique Trump don't have a bigger platform, because as the cable news leader, Fox is basically acting as state run media glorifying their leader's every move.

I also found this as an interesting supplement to Landlord's post. In 2012 the tone of coverage largely depended on partisanship of the source.

14-Tone_of_Coverage_on_Cable_News.png

• Plus1 1

I absolutely hate it how the president of all people tosses out completely baseless accusations he literally just makes up out of thin air and forces serious people and institutions to respond to him like he's an adult.

He's acting like an angsty little kid whose trying to make his parents mad in a fight by saying whatever he thinks will annoy them. He needs to be put in timeout.

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I absolutely hate it how the president of all people tosses out completely baseless accusations he literally just makes up out of thin air and forces serious people and institutions to respond to him like he's an adult.

He's acting like an angsty little kid whose trying to make his parents mad in a fight by saying whatever he thinks will annoy them. He needs to be put in timeout.

If by "timeout" you mean federal prison, then yes. Most definitely yes.

• Plus1 2

You know who's getting a lot of bad press lately? Like, universally bad press? 

Urban Meyer. 

When you do bad things, you get bad press coverage. 

You know who got really great press coverage in 2014?

Urban Meyer.

Neither 2018 nor 2014 were the fault of the press. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Trump should have been impeached a year ago under the “our president is incapable of fulfilling his duties” option. The damage he’s done with his talk of the press is more than most people realize.

Trump will go away eventually, hopefully soon.

These people and the sentiments he's riled up within them will not. We still have to live with his culty followers and their angry conspiracy theories after he's out of office.

Sensible people voted for Trump. My beef isn't with them. It's with the ignorant, aggrieved Trump hardcores that hang on his every word. 

• Plus1 1

This is an outstanding piece. 

I've never seen a rebuttal of Fox News and the leading voices of the conservative media that's this full-throated and vociferous. Especially from someone who hosts a major daily news show and one of the Sunday broadcast news shows. 

Well done, Chuck Todd. He took aim at Fox News and conservative media heroes and put them on blast. He called them what they are - grifters. They monetized the fear and anger of their audience and continually keep them locked in a feedback loop that only worsens the fear and anger. Fox News doesn't deserve an equal media footprint to other major news outlets because it doesn't share their goals, namely reporting the facts on important news - it exists to advance the interests of the Republican party & damage or destroy anything the party perceives as a threat. Much the same with the Rush's and Drudge's of the world. They rake in the dough because they keep people stuck in their "alternative facts" bubble. 

Read the story. I'm honestly surprised Todd had the spine to say most of this. Kudos.

• Plus1 2