Trump and the Press

Not sure what happened wt that post above.    Speaking of Spine, Bob Woodward is getting under the spine of Trump wt this latest book

The bold below is of particular concern.  We have a child in the WH

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.8a4553f20d09

John Dowd was convinced that President Trump would commit perjury if he talked to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. So, on Jan. 27, the president’s then-personal attorney staged a practice session to try to make his point.

In the White House residence, Dowd peppered Trump with questions about the Russia investigation, provoking stumbles, contradictions and lies until the president eventually lost his cool.

“This thing’s a goddamn hoax,” Trump erupted at the start of a 30-minute rant that finished with him saying, “I don’t really want to testify.”

Woodward depicts Trump’s anger and paranoia about the Russia inquiry as unrelenting, at times paralyzing the West Wing for entire days. Learning of the appointment of Mueller in May 2017, Trump groused, “Everybody’s trying to get me”— part of a venting period that shellshocked aides compared to Richard Nixon’s final days as president.

Woodward describes “an administrative coup d’etat” and a “nervous breakdown” of the executive branch, with senior aides conspiring to pluck official papers from the president’s desk so he couldn’t see or sign them.

Again and again, Woodward recounts at length how Trump’s national security team was shaken by his lack of curiosity and knowledge about world affairs and his contempt for the mainstream perspectives of military and intelligence leaders.

At a National Security Council meeting on Jan. 19, Trump disregarded the significance of the massive U.S. military presence on the Korean Peninsula, including a special intelligence operation that allows the United States to detect a North Korean missile launch in seven seconds vs. 15 minutes from Alaska, according to Woodward. Trump questioned why the government was spending resources in the region at all.

“We’re doing this in order to prevent World War III,” Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told him.

After Trump left the meeting, Woodward recounts, “Mattis was particularly exasperated and alarmed, telling close associates that the president acted like — and had the understanding of — ‘a fifth- or sixth-grader.’ ”

White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly frequently lost his temper and told colleagues that he thought the president was “unhinged,” Woodward writes. In one small group meeting, Kelly said of Trump: “He’s an idiot. It’s pointless to try to convince him of anything. He’s gone off the rails. We’re in Crazytown. I don’t even know why any of us are here. This is the worst job I’ve ever had.”

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This is an outstanding piece. 

I've never seen a rebuttal of Fox News and the leading voices of the conservative media that's this full-throated and vociferous. Especially from someone who hosts a major daily news show and one of the Sunday broadcast news shows. 

Well done, Chuck Todd. He took aim at Fox News and conservative media heroes and put them on blast. He called them what they are - grifters. They monetized the fear and anger of their audience and continually keep them locked in a feedback loop that only worsens the fear and anger. Fox News doesn't deserve an equal media footprint to other major news outlets because it doesn't share their goals, namely reporting the facts on important news - it exists to advance the interests of the Republican party & damage or destroy anything the party perceives as a threat. Much the same with the Rush's and Drudge's of the world. They rake in the dough because they keep people stuck in their "alternative facts" bubble. 

Read the story. I'm honestly surprised Todd had the spine to say most of this. Kudos.

good read

27 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not sure what happened wt that post above.    Speaking of Spine, Bob Woodward is getting under the spine of Trump wt this latest book

The bold below is of particular concern.  We have a child in the WH

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.8a4553f20d09

Cnn had this as well. Unfortunately it wont matter to any trump voters because they either cant read, wont read it or will just call it fake news.

5 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Cnn had this as well. Unfortunately it wont matter to any trump voters because they either cant read, wont read it or will just call it fake news.

Will this be on Fox?  Will this be on Breitbart?   If no, then majority of trump voters won't know about this.   

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens with this book moving forward.  A similar type book was written by someone within the White House and it was fairly quickly shot down and proven to be pretty non-credible and written by someone who isn't credible.  

Now....I think the President is a half witted, incompetent, loony toon.  But, I'm tired of propaganda books being written that aren't always true.

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens with this book moving forward.  A similar type book was written by someone within the White House and it was fairly quickly shot down and proven to be pretty non-credible and written by someone who isn't credible.  

Now....I think the President is a half witted, incompetent, loony toon.  But, I'm tired of propaganda books being written that aren't always true.

i would think Bob Woodward is credible.

• Plus1 2