Trump and the Press

Wow....I guess it's time to turn on Joe.

So....they have a morning news show. They aren't supposed to have a guy on that's running for president?

It's now MSNBCs fault he won? That's a new twist.

You don't think Joe and CNN having Trump call in every morning played a factor in getting the nomination?

The media picking and choosing candidates isn't even a new criticism. Spin is a great documentary about the media's roll in the '92 election and other events. It touches a bit on how Larry Agran could barely get coverage as a Democratic Primary candidate despite polling just as well as other candidates recieving coverage. It's really a fascinating documentary, and well worth the time. I would highly recommend watching it if you haven't already.

So....they have a morning news show. They aren't supposed to have a guy on that's running for president?

You don't think Joe and CNN having Trump call in every morning played a factor in getting the nomination?

He's a Presidential candidate that was more than willing to call in and talk to them. Any news network would have done it and would do it again.

Criticizing any of them for him getting nominated is quite odd.

• Fire 1

I haven't seen Spin and I never watched Joe's show, but there's often a balance between what viewers/readers suggest they want to see and what the networks/newspapers/local TV stations want to show.

To BRB's point, I imagine Trump was a large ratings boost for the show. Good ratings = more eyeballs = happy advertisers. He's correct in that most networks would've enjoyed the opportunity. It's an unfortunate but realistic situation.

I've mentioned this example several times before, but it's the exact same reason Lavar Ball shows up all over ESPN - people click the links and watch/read the segments.

• Fire 4

When Trump went on the talk shows & cable news early in the campaign, he was treated as if he was a TV show host, not a candidate. He was given a pulpit because he said bombastic things. Nobody took him seriously as a candidate until late in the primary season, and by then the media had gotten so addicted to the ratings he provided that they kept showing his speeches nearly start-to-finish, providing him excellent free advertising.

Because they didn't see him as a real candidate, or as a candidate with even a remote chance of winning, they didn't critically analyze him, didn't hold him accountable like they would Obama, McCain, Romney, Bush, Gore, Clinton, etc. Any other candidate saying these things would be immediately called on the carpet. That favorable treatment allowed Trump a safe space to fester.

Nobody with any real political sense thought Trump would win, so nobody treated him like a real candidate.

So, yes, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, and anyone else who had Trump on during the primaries for ratings is culpable for his win.

• Fire 4

He's a Presidential candidate that was more than willing to call in and talk to them. Any news network would have done it and would do it again.

Do you think they would have taken Rubio or Jeb calls everyday for months? Hell no. That would have tanked their ratings during those segments.

+1s to both Enhance and knapp. Yes, they did it all for the ratings.

Just to clarify my opinion, I do think it was a ratings grab and the media is culpable, but I also think it's important for viewers/readers to look in the mirror in these situations.

Harkening back to my Lavar Ball example, I refuse to click those links or watch any segments related to him, because I don't want to justify ESPN's data for showing more Ball content. In relation to Trump, and to knapplc's point, much of the media was far too lackadaisical about the implications of their coverage, but many Americans were also far too comfortable watching and reading content about Trump.

These improprieties ultimately helped elect an incompetent president.

• Fire 1

Do you think they would have taken Rubio or Jeb calls everyday for months? Hell no. That would have tanked their ratings during those segments.

So, they had Trump on saying loony toon wacko things. The voters heard these things over and over again. They should have viewed him as a total nut job and not voted for him.

And....it's the news network's fault.