Trump and the Press

So... Trump is trying to blackmail members of the press now.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/880763023559974913

It was obvious long before the election that he would do things like this. I knew he would try to get revenge on anyone who wronged him as soon as I read about the letters he's been sending to the original small hands writer since the 1980s. I worried he'd try to make law enforcement a part of it.

So my question still stands:

Can a President get impeached for action unbecoming of the office?

The bigger question is will the Repubs ever get tired of all of this childishness in the WH and turn against him en mass? If the Repubs win the midterms, Catty bar the door - Trump will become even more emboldened and who knows what will flow out of that cease pool.

As a guy who has voted Repub most of my life (mostly - not all elections), I never thought I'd see the day......... :facepalm:

Yes, he can.

Issue is that it will have to be the VP that initializes the movement, and it has to be agreed to by the cabinet (and he can fight them on it, which would then open things up to a 14 day open debate in front of Congress). Sadly nothing I've seen leads me to believe that any of them have a backbone or a thought of their own. Unless there has been activity from below and aside that we aren't aware of, and there's certainly some rumbles of discontent congressmen, I don't see it happening.

There was a really great overview of the possibilities on NPR recently - I'll try to find it. One of the better 20 mins I've spent.

EDIT: give it a read TG, I think you'll like it: http://www.npr.org/2017/05/04/526857048/trump-s-fitness-to-serve-is-officially-part-of-the-discussion-in-congress

I'll go to the link but I believe we are talking about illness, etc that prevents the president from fulfilling the duties of the office. What if the guy is a complete Jack. A.. in office. Not sure they can remove for that.

Here's the wording from the constitution:

The Constitution, Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but the illness comes in the 25th amendment to the constitution. It was added in 1967. (after they realized during the Kennedy shooting, had he lived he might not have been fit to serve).

I thought TG was specifically asking about him being a Jack. A. and not illness.

EDIT: Here's the text of Section 4 of the 25th Amendment:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Yes, I'm familiar wt the 25th article 4 - just didn't know if it covered being a Jack A... Unless they can determine it is a phyco problem. There is a dem bill in the house that is being pushed to use this on Trump from a phyco perspective.

I thought TG was specifically asking about him being a Jack. A. and not illness.

EDIT: Here's the text of Section 4 of the 25th Amendment:

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Yes, I'm familiar wt the 25th article 4 - just didn't know if it covered being a Jack A... Unless they can determine it is a phyco problem. There is a dem bill in the house that is being pushed to use this on Trump from a phyco perspective.

I posted the text so we could make a determination ourselves. So based on the text, impeachment under the Constitution is only for crimes, but the 25th Amendment is more broad: "that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office". So if the VP and majority of the executive departments or Congress think being a jackhole makes Trump unable to be President, then they could remove him. That's super unlikely though given who those people are.