Trump and the Press

Today's WH press conference with Spicey allowed no video and no audio recordings. He also refused to call on CNN & WaPo.

DOES ANYBODY NOT SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?

would this not be in violation of the first amendment of the bill of rights? Can they really not allow any type of recording?

They aren't even required to do press briefings if they don't want to.

Today's WH press conference with Spicey allowed no video and no audio recordings. He also refused to call on CNN & WaPo.

would this not be in violation of the first amendment of the bill of rights? Can they really not allow any type of recording?

Ok that's fine, but if they do the press briefings, they then are subject to being recorded correct? The press would have the right to record no?

Ok that's fine, but if they do the press briefings, they then are subject to being recorded correct? The press would have the right to record no?

No...not really. They can say we are only going to allow press in that agree to not record it and it's not going to be necessarily against the law or unconstitutional.

If none of the reporters agree to that, then, they just don't hold one. If a reporter does agree to that, then they have agreed to the request. Now.....if a reporter sneaks a recorder in and secretly records it and the releases the tapes.....I don't think the administration would have any recourse. But, that would need to be some pretty big news on the tapes because that reporter wouldn't be allowed back in the next briefing.

No...not really. They can say we are only going to allow press in that agree to not record it and it's not going to be necessarily against the law or unconstitutional.

If none of the reporters agree to that, then, they just don't hold one. If a reporter does agree to that, then they have agreed to the request. Now.....if a reporter sneaks a recorder in and secretly records it and the releases the tapes.....I don't think the administration would have any recourse. But, that would need to be some pretty big news on the tapes because that reporter wouldn't be allowed back in the next briefing.

Ok that's kind of makes sense, and I'm not saying there is any type of recourse that can be taken by the press, but it seems wrong to me you could allow some in but not others because they wanted to record.

That said I understand your post. The white house really holds the right to do whatever they want to a degree in this matter.

Ok that's kind of makes sense, and I'm not saying there is any type of recourse that can be taken by the press, but it seems wrong to me you could allow some in but not others because they wanted to record.

That said I understand your post. The white house really holds the right to do whatever they want to a degree in this matter.

They do this all the time. They are the ones who give WH press credentials to some reporters and not others.

It also all depends on state laws, too. I have no idea what most of D.C.'s media laws are or if the White House takes certain privileges as the White House (which I'm sure they do).

I believe D.C. is a one party consent state in regards to audio recordings i.e. only one of the people being recorded needs to consent in order for the recording to be lawful. Theoretically, a conversation could be recorded in secret.

Nebraska has further protections in place including the inability to refuse a media organization the right or opportunity to take part in a media briefing. At my old job, we once (subtly) threatened to take legal action when the NDCS said they didn't want any TV stations coming to a press conference because 'the camera interviews make us look bad.' Needless to say, we were allowed into the press conference.

People die. Fact of life.

We can't be held responsible collectively for people making poor choices and being bad at living a healthy life. We just can't afford it.

Something like that? I mean -- this is a common attitude, and it's not the most unreasonable sales pitch. Even if it's highly disingenuous.

These press briefings have become a joke. Now they are not allowed to have cameras on in the briefing. According to CNN, they have basically been blackballed from asking questions.

The President has gone to having events where the media is but not allowed to ask questions. And....Spicer doesn't have answers to questions that are being asked.

Yep.....most transparent Whitehouse in history.

The reputable networks need to get together and take a stand. Send in 1 guy to press conference to record & take notes and put everyone else on investigative reporting. Assign topics/issues to each (i.e. CNN focus on Russia, NBC focus on family ties, ABC focus on judicial issues etc). This fight is against the press, they should be united in how they tackle it.

• Fire 2

The reputable networks need to get together and take a stand. Send in 1 guy to press conference to record & take notes and put everyone else on investigative reporting. Assign topics/issues to each (i.e. CNN focus on Russia, NBC focus on family ties, ABC focus on judicial issues etc). This fight is against the press, they should be united in how they tackle it.

Admirable, but I think a little too unreasonable. Journalism is still a business with stakeholders, advertisers, individual goals, competition and expectations. There are certain levels of cooperation they could and should pursue in this fight, but parsing topics/issues and coordination among one another would be highly unlikely, generally impossible.