Where would we be if we kept the OSU game close?

STL Husker

I know alot of you don't like "what ifs" but I just don't understand why Wisconsin is ranked so much higher with their 2 losses. Their best win is against 25/unranked LSU so it looks like they are being judged based on their two good "losses" to Michigan and OSU. Our best win is probably Wyoming, which doesn't help much, but I don't see much difference between us and Wisconsin. I think we are still in the top 10 if we had been able to keep it within 1-2 scores.

• Fire 1

Ranked a few spots higher with an outside shot at making the playoff if the dominoes fall just so and we make the title game and win it.

Even if we make the title game and win as it stands, we're too low to get a look at the playoffs. But I think fans would honestly be fine with the kids winning the conference title and getting a Rose Bowl trip out of it.

Right now, though, let's just take care of Iowa Friday, and then we'll see what happens. :)

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around Wisconsins record. I think their QB sucks but has helped propel them to many wins. I think they are incredibly beatable, yet even though we gave them one of our best efforts we fell short.

Chryst must be better than he gets credit for.

It's because their defense is absolutely incredible. Even the worst of offenses can come up with a play or two a game that gets them some points. Their incredible defense puts them in a position where that's all they need. i.e. against Nebraska. Against Ohio St and michigan it just wasnt QUITE enough. Theyre '09Nebraska'ish.

You can go a long way with excellent defense and lackluster O.

Doing the same the other way around is much much more difficult.

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+tech+vs+iowa+st&oq=texas+tech+vs+iowa+st&aqs=chrome..69i57.6215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

playing optional defense is all fun and games until you face a random opponent who decides to put effort into it.

It's because their defense is absolutely incredible. Even the worst of offenses can come up with a play or two a game that gets them some points. Their incredible defense puts them in a position where that's all they need. i.e. against Nebraska. Against Ohio St and michigan it just wasnt QUITE enough. Theyre '09Nebraska'ish.

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+tech+vs+iowa+st&oq=texas+tech+vs+iowa+st&aqs=chrome..69i57.6215j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

playing optional defense is all fun and games until you face a random opponent who decides to put effort into it.

We had that in 2009 but still managed to lose 4

We had that in 2009 but still managed to lose 4

and theyve lost 2. by 7 each.

we were also 4-3 at one point in that season. two of our losses were rather ugly in games we shoulda won (tech, iowa st)

The point is, Wisonsin has an incredible defense. And their offense, while not doing much to win games, also doesnt do anything to lose them either.

Well, Wisconsin's offense is still a lot better than our 2009 offense was, particularly in the area of a little thing known as discipline. They would never have to punt on a 4th and goal like we did against Virginia Tech.

That said, their two losses are by one score each (one in overtime) to the #2 and #3 teams in the country, and they have wins over the #17 and #24 teams. They deserve their ranking and their respect.

As far as where we would be? Not very far from where we are. We'd likely still be top 10 or right on the fringe, on the outside looking in on the B1G CCG, and possibly closer to being looked at for a NY6 bowl, but barely.