Trump Promises Megathread: Kept or Broken

• 3 weeks later...

This is a mixed bag -- approval #s up but keeping promises down - pushed by those who were more unfavorable to him to begin with. Regardless, we do see him back away from his

staunches positions - even not naming China as a currency manipulator last week.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/donald-trump-gallup-poll-favorability-ratings-keeping-promises/2017/04/17/id/784734/

A Gallup Poll reports a majority of Americans say President Donald Trump is not keeping to promises he made when running for office, which represents a dip from when the same poll was conducted two months prior.

Gallup conducted telephone polls in February and again in April covering six characteristics. They were:

• Keeps his promises.
  • Is a strong and decisive leader.
  • Can bring about changes this country needs.
  • Is honest and trustworthy.
  • Cares about the needs of people like you.
  • Can manage the government effectively.

Trump's most significant shift was in the category of "keeps his promises," where the president's rating dropped 17 percentage points from a high of 62 percent in February to 45 percent in April.

His ratings fell 7 percentage points in gauging both his leadership and whether he could bring about changes for what the country needs, standing now at 52 percent and 46 percent, respectively.

Trump fell 6 percentage points in whether respondents felt he was honest, now reported to be 36 percent. The report said his slight dip in the categories of caring about the needs of people, now at 42 percent, and capability of managing the government, now at 41 percent, were "not statistically significant."

The report said two measures of Trump's performance have changed little since he took office. His approval rating has remained relatively stable, standing at 42 percent in February and "around 40 percent" in April in Gallup's Daily tracking poll.

The biggest shifts were in groups that were already not favorable to Trump, which includes Democrats, liberals, women and young adults. Of that group, 35 percent said in February Trump keeps his promises, while only 11 percent say that now.

One bright spot in the poll is that, though the number has dipped slightly, a majority of respondents think the president "is a strong and decisive leader" with his number standing at 52 percent in April, down from 59 percent in February.

The report posits that the number of Trump's executive orders and Cabinet appointments in February may have led to higher ratings compared with problems he later faced in persuading Congress to agree on changes to ObamaCare. In addition, Gallup reported some supporters would like to see more done on taxes, immigration and protecting middle- and working-class Americans

Funny how a two-point rise in approval is the lede: "..approval #s up..."

If those were a Democrat's approval numbers and there was a two-point rise, it'd be dubbed "the worst approval recovery since the Great Depression" or some such thing.

Agree. I look more at the trend. He was clearly trending in a bad direction and that has seemed to have stopped. I actually mark it up more to the fact there are simply a certain number of people in this country that would still love the guy and support him even if he shot someone in the street just because he has an R beside his name.

I believe evidence of this is when you change the graph to "likely or registered voters". The improvement is more pronounced.

I know this was mentioned in another thread. But, it deserves to be posted here too.

What! It surprised me but then again it doesn't based on what I've seen so far. They are back peddling on almost every one of their campaign ideas. As Knapp mentioned - this was one of their top ones. What a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The art of the deal - perhaps - I tell you what I know you want to hear so I can get what I want - thus the election of DT.

What! It surprised me but then again it doesn't based on what I've seen so far. They are back peddling on almost every one of their campaign ideas. As Knapp mentioned - this was one of their top ones. What a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The art of the deal - perhaps - I tell you what I know you want to hear so I can get what I want - thus the election of DT.

If you think about it, this is what he has done his whole life.

"Honey, I love you...marry me"......cheat and divorce a few years later

"Come work for me, I'll pay you"........don't pay employees

"Supply my job site"......don't pay suppliers

"Vote for me and I'll do.....".......doesn't give a crap about what he has said.

• Fire 1