Trump Promises Megathread: Kept or Broken

Politicians tend to keep most of their promises, or at least try to.

And that's the problem here.

A bizarre amount of supporting/condoning/excusing of the man seems predicated on him being something other than what he said he is. These people should be sorely disappointed, but more likely they'll find other reasons to continue a useful alignment with him.

Politicians tend to keep most of their promises, or at least try to.And that's the problem here.A bizarre amount of supporting/condoning/excusing of the man seems predicated on him being something other than what he said he is. These people should be sorely disappointed, but more likely they'll find other reasons to continue a useful alignment with him.

Ahhhh, yes. The "the office will change the man" argument.

Not a big fan of that. I listened to a podcast called Keepin It 1600 during the election. It was done by former Obama aides and I found it incredibly insightful.

They actually argued the opposite. At least in their experience with him, they said they all felt that the job made you "more who you are". I tend to agree, because with Obama we got 8 years of intelligent, thoughtful, graceful, dignified representation.

The people who were expecting Trump to change if he won were utter rubes.

• Fire 2

Can somebody explain to me why everyone is buying his line about "Mexico will reimburse us"? Isn't that like saying I'm going to buy my prom dress and my date will pay me back for it after prom, in installments. Why in the world would we outlay the cash, and then what makes anybody think that any country will hand over money for something? Something they didn't want or need? Or that they were remotely for?

Can somebody explain to me why everyone is buying his line about "Mexico will reimburse us"? Isn't that like saying I'm going to buy my prom dress and my date will pay me back for it after prom, in installments. Why in the world would we outlay the cash, and then what makes anybody think that any country will hand over money for something? Something they didn't want or need? Or that they were remotely for?

Because Trump will be long out of office before this ever really becomes an issue. He will then be able to blame whomever came after him for not following through with his plan to have Mexico pay for it.

8. Support the use of waterboarding and/or targeting of terrorist families to combat terrorism

Commando dies in U.S. raid in Yemen, first military op OK'd by Trump

A U.S. commando died and three others were wounded carrying out a deadly dawn raid on the al Qaeda militant group in southern Yemen on Sunday, in the first military operation authorized by President Donald Trump.

The U.S. military said it killed 14 militants in a raid on a powerful al Qaeda branch that has been a frequent target of U.S. drone strikes. Medics at the scene, however, said around 30 people, including 10 women and children, were killed.

Two more U.S. servicemen were injured when an American military aircraft was sent to evacuate the wounded commandos but came under fire and had to be "intentionally destroyed in place," the Pentagon said.

-------

The gunbattle in the rural Yakla district of al-Bayda province killed a senior leader in Yemen's al Qaeda branch, Abdulraoof al-Dhahab, along with other militants, al Qaeda said.

Eight-year-old Anwar al-Awlaki, the daughter of U.S.-born Yemeni preacher and al Qaeda ideologue Anwar al-Awlaki, was among the children killed in the raid, according to her grandfather. Her father was killed in a U.S. drone strike in 2011

"She was hit with a bullet in her neck and suffered for two hours," Nasser al-Awlaki told Reuters. "Why kill children? This is the new (U.S.) administration - it's very sad, a big crime."

------

"The operation began at dawn when a drone bombed the home of Abdulraoof al-Dhahab and then helicopters flew up and unloaded paratroopers at his house and killed everyone inside," said one resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"Next, the gunmen opened fire at the U.S. soldiers who left the area, and the helicopters bombed the gunmen and a number of homes and led to a large number of casualties."

It begins. Drone bombings are not the safest ops in the world for civilians. I still don't understand that set of events, though.

"She was hit with a bullet in her neck and suffered for two hours," Nasser al-Awlaki told Reuters. "Why kill children? This is the new (U.S.) administration - it's very sad, a big crime."

(Father of Anwar al-Awlaki. Interestingly, he received a doctorate from UNL.)

One issue I'll take with this statement: this is not new. And I suspect Nasser knows this. He condemned President Obama as well.

Is this materially different from what we've been doing? Nobody wants the collateral. But that's been an acceptable cost to the U.S. government for some time.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Drain the swamp? No "pay for play"?

Count those promises broken...

Adelson and his wife, Miriam, contributed more than $20 million to a super PAC that aired pro-Trump and anti-Hillary Clinton advertising in the final weeks before Election Day.

The couple are close with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. They received prime seats for Trump's swearing-in last month and — in a highly unusual bit of access — also attended a congressional lunch afterward with the new president and lawmakers.

Trump's relationship with Adelson was late-blooming. During the Republican primary race, Trump ridiculed his opponents for being puppets of Adelson.

• 2 weeks later...