So is O'Brien a bust

I've also heard the rumors that POB isn't as good as advertised. All I know is that if Lee is our starter next year we're in trouble.

Can someone save this post so we can come back to it a year from now?

IIRC, Gerry said Tanner was lighting it up on the scout team "making all the throws"....
I've heard the same thing about Lee and expect him to be the starter, but I'm hoping Gebbia can beat him out

I'm actually hoping Gebbia doesn't win it.

I'm a little burned out on four year starters. I would prefer a program where QBs come in and learn for a few years then start for a couple. The backups are the good recruits that will start in a couple years.

CM, you're ignoring the far simpler possibility that POB isn't ready as a true freshman, and that it would hurt both his development and the team's long-term outlook to throw him to the wolves.

Fyfe might not be spectacular, but not only is he relatively experienced, he'd paid his dues. If they're reasonably close (and it wouldn't surprise me if Fyfe was far ahead in his familiarity and confidence) then I'd say the senior earned it. He played quite well in the Maryland game.

CM, you're ignoring the far simpler possibility that POB isn't ready as a true freshman, and that it would hurt both his development and the team's long-term outlook to throw him to the wolves.

Fyfe might not be spectacular, but not only is he relatively experienced, he'd paid his dues. If they're reasonably close (and it wouldn't surprise me if Fyfe was far ahead in his familiarity and confidence) then I'd say the senior earned it. He played quite well in the Maryland game.

No, I"m not. In fact, that's exactly what I was talking about when I wrote:

"My suspicion is that Fyfe beat him out. Whether that means he's bad is a different question. I doubt it. He's probably like 85% of HS QB recruits - not good enough to beat out a guy who's been in the program 5 years, even if that senior is a former walkon."

If Lee starts and Gebbia redshirts, I think there's a very strong possibility that Gebbia may end up passing POB on the depth chart eventually. The more I hear about POB, the more he's starting to sound like Johnny Stanton.

Meaning what? Stanton would have likely been a fairly productive QB for NU had there not been a system change during his freshman year.

If Lee starts and Gebbia redshirts, I think there's a very strong possibility that Gebbia may end up passing POB on the depth chart eventually. The more I hear about POB, the more he's starting to sound like Johnny Stanton.

What are you hearing that leads you to that conclusion.

Also, props for the Bobby Roode pic.

Well, on FB there's a guy who is friends with a family whose kid plays on the team. Says that POB isn't as good as advertised (or that they were led to believe) and hasn't developed the way they had expected. Problems reading defenses and other mechanics. I'm just really concerned about Lee. He never impressed me much -- I always figured he'd up up at a lower school like University of Louisiana/McNeese/Nicholls, certainly not at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Meaning what? Stanton would have likely been a fairly productive QB for NU had there not been a system change during his freshman year.

Received a lot of hype and did well on the camp circuit, but never progressed and never played a down. He didn't exactly light it up once he transferred, either.

Received a lot of hype and did well on the camp circuit, but never progressed and never played a down. He didn't exactly light it up once he transferred, either.

Stanton was on campus for like a year.

People are pretty unrealistic.

Stanton was on campus for like a year.

People are pretty unrealistic.

Stanton signed in 2013. So, he was a redshirt under Bo in 2013. In 2014, he was buried on the depth chart. He was a QB for Riley in spring 2015, but showed little. He then transferred to JUCO before fall camp in 2015.

He was at NU for 2 years, and did nothing to move up the depth chart during his time.

Well, on FB there's a guy who is friends with a family whose kid plays on the team. Says that POB isn't as good as advertised (or that they were led to believe) and hasn't developed the way they had expected. Problems reading defenses and other mechanics. I'm just really concerned about Lee. He never impressed me much -- I always figured he'd up up at a lower school like University of Louisiana/McNeese/Nicholls, certainly not at Nebraska.

Third hand (at best) information on Facebook is your best source.

And where have you seen Lee where you have been able to evaluate him?

OK ,I just watched some high school videos of Gebbia and Lee, haven't gotten to O'Brien's yet, and it looks like these guys will be hard to beat. They threw 100% completions and their passes were all right on target. I also watched a college video of Lee where a bunch of monsters were chasing him and he was running for his life. He still had a 100% completion rate but not nearly the accuracy.
​I hope this helps with the board evaluation and I'll report back when I see O'Brien's.

• Fire 1

OK, I'm back. Just saw O'Brien's junior year high school video and ,wouldn't you know it, he's a 6'4-220 beast who also has a 100% completion rate and hits the receivers in stride. At this point I really don't know what to think about the quarterback position but it looks like we'll have a decent passer with good mobility no matter who gets the start.

​Now maybe if Gebbia brings Darnay with him it'll be a game changer.

• Fire 1

So who is QB next year? In my humble opinion and I do mean humble TA should have been backup this year. We should have built for the future and he was not the future. It was just more of the same!

I am tired of watching the product on the field!

The talent differences between WI, IA, MI and Ohiop State is so far above NE it just pisses me off!

If Patrick O'Brien started at quarterback this year than Nebraska would have been a .500 team at best. Perhaps worse. I can only speak for myself, naturally, but that isn't worth building for the future.

I won't deny that TA has been near as much a liability as he has been a benefit, but Nebraska hasn't had a dominant offensive line in almost 20 years now. Why do we often continue to focus on the QB while overlooking this incredibly crucial aspect?

Considering we were under .500 with TA starting (most of) last year, I find it hard to pin any certain win/loss on who was starting at QB.

True, but not all things are equal between seasons. This was year two with many of the key components returning. That was year one with a substantial amount of changes. I find it hard to believe Nebraska would've reached 9 wins with POB in 2016. But, they could have.

Regardless of your opinions on the QB situation, though, Nebraska has needed to improve in the trenches for years now. Many love to wax poetic about our QB situation over the last several years while rarely acknowledging, or not paying much attention to, the inconsistency along the lines of scrimmage.