So is O'Brien a bust

From what I've been told from parents that have kids on the team that I know. Tanner Lee will be our starter next year and it will be at least two years before POB is our starter if he can win the job.

So Lee starts and no redshirt on Gebbie?

Do these parents not reliaze POB was supposed to win the Heisman this year via Husker board?

BRI

Do you really feel POB has the potential to take over mid stream or from the start next year. If so, don't you feel he would have been able to back up Tommy this year? Get a few plays a game and possibly could have played some when Tommy went down.

I guess I just don't get the rapid development from one year to the next. I never really saw it in Taylor or Tommy.

I don't know enough about him to say that. All I know is the QB competition is wide open this spring and is there for the taking. If POB and Lee are on level with one another as far as talent goes, you pick Lee due to experience alone. I'm just going by what folks have said about POB's ability. If he lives up to the hype, great, but that's an awful lot of hype and pressure to live up to.

Fyfe threw what? 50 or 60 passes? Are 60 passes worth a year of eligibility for POB? The correct answer is no.

A more talented backup allows for the coaches to go the the backup earlier if the starter is injured or ineffective. POB could have actually played more than Fyfe, if he could have just beaten out Fyfe at the beginning of the season.

I would have had POB ready to play this season and not worry if he will be eligible to play in 2020. I would think I could recruit and develop another QB by then.

I think it's dumb to waste a year of eligibility to be a backup. I imagine it didn't matter if POB beat out Fyfe. If he didn't beat out Tommy, he was going to redshirt.

I think it's ironic that there's this huge concern about wasting eligibility, then 2/3 of our QB's transfer out. They came here to play....let them play. Doesn't seem to be this kind of concern at most other positions which tells me it's more of a concern that the coach doesn't want a quarterback controversy.

​It's entirely the fault of the coach that we don't have anyone prepared to play in big games and have to send some hobbled guy out there....then make excuses about having to play a hobbled guy. That's really .500 thinking.

From what I've been told from parents that have kids on the team that I know. Tanner Lee will be our starter next year and it will be at least two years before POB is our starter if he can win the job.

I really hope this is not the thinking and I suspect it is not as Riley is not this stupid. Thinking like this almost cost the USC coach his job. Yes, I am glad we brought in Lee but let him compete as we have two of our best QB recruits in awhile coming here. Frankly I expect POB and Gebbia to compete...they are not going against a long time starter in TA...its a blank page and none of these QB's have ever taken a snap at NU. This QB job needs to be wide open.

• Fire 2

I really hope this is not the thinking and I suspect it is not as Riley is not this stupid. Thinking like this almost cost the USC coach his job. Yes, I am glad we brought in Lee but let him compete as we have two of our best QB recruits in awhile coming here. Frankly I expect POB and Gebbia to compete...they are not going against a long time starter in TA...its a blank page and none of these QB's have ever taken a snap at NU. This QB job needs to be wide open.
maybe this was a comment on Lee's ability and talent and not an insight on the attitude of the coaching staff when it comes to the QB competition
  • Fire 2

We have lacked depth at QB for a long time. We have also lacked a pure passer vs a thrower (who can run). Even though it has been touchy the last couple games at QB due to depth, ikeeping the RS on POB was the right thing to do. Look at our QB recruiting the past few years and you will see why we lack depth.

2013 4* #10 QB Johnny Stanton - no longer with NU

2014 4* #18 QB Zach Darlington – no longer QB-WR/Holder(lately 3rd option QB)

2014 4* #55 QB AJ Bush – no longer with NU

2015 No QB recruited

2016 3* # 20 QB Patrick O Brien

Tanner Lee was a 2* QB # 83 in 2013 for Tulane.

Starting next year we will have 2 QBs - O Brien and Lee, who should be ready to play, I think Lee will be #1 and POB #2 just need to get ahead in some early games and play POB for the experience. We can still use Darlington as the #3. We will also have Gebbia and unless he can flat out beat those two he would be redshirted, that technically gives us 3 QBs - true QBs, that are supposed to be passers not running throwers. Now thats on paper, what happens on the field that matters.

I get this is a message board but are we really being serious here? Do some truly believe what's being said on this topic? POB a true freshman not starting over a 5th year player and 4 year starter? TA is no slouch which some people have completely lost sight of. Questioning the future of an 18 yr old because he didn't win the starting job from a 23 year old is why this thread SHOULD BE DELETED. This is of course just my opinion but there's nothing that will change it. It's of my opinion that a 22-23 year old will almost ALWAYS respond better to playing in front of 90k of the most "knowledgeable fans in the country" or better yet in front of 90-100k fans on Halloween weekend in madison or the following week at the horseshoe. Doesn't matter the score TA gives us the best chance to win those

I don't think they're saying the job isn't wide open. I think they're saying Lee was clearly better than POB.