So is O'Brien a bust

Because he did not even compete for the job!

How many true freshman QB's actually start? The answer is very few. He wasn't ready.
Happens quite a bit . I remember TMart. Touchdown Tommie started as freshmen.
Taylor Martinez was a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. Coincidently, so was Tommy Armstrong. Turner Gill played on the freshman team. Tommie Frazier started as a true freshman. He is the only one I know of that worked out well at Nebraska. Even the Heisman winners recently were REDSHIRTS. Now we have people calling a kid a bust that has never played before??? Holy sh#t people.

No kidding. People seem to hold Osborne as some sort of standard. Look at his player development. It was tough to cracking the depth chart as an underclassmen.

This is not true. TO routinely played 2nd and 3rd string players. I remember a few games with participation of more than 100 players. TO even put the 2nd string QB in for the 2nd quarter against weak teams early in the year (Frankie London against Central Florida in 1996). TO routinely had 2 or even 3 back sharing the load.

TO and Bob managed the games so we got far enough ahead of the teams that we were obviously far superior to in talent and depth, which allowed them to clear the bench in those games. Now we play even with those teams most of the game. Add to that some kind of idol worship of the starting QB with recent coaches and the backups just don't get prepared like they used to.

​I certainly hope that O'Brien doesn't just disappear some day ("I've decided that South Cactus State is my dream school.") after our recruiters went after him like a bitch. Let's hope our coaches are not a bunch of disingenuous fools who waste people's time.

Fyfe threw what? 50 or 60 passes? Are 60 passes worth a year of eligibility for POB? The correct answer is no.

A more talented backup allows for the coaches to go the the backup earlier if the starter is injured or ineffective. POB could have actually played more than Fyfe, if he could have just beaten out Fyfe at the beginning of the season.

I would have had POB ready to play this season and not worry if he will be eligible to play in 2020. I would think I could recruit and develop another QB by then.

• Fire 3

Fyfe threw what? 50 or 60 passes? Are 60 passes worth a year of eligibility for POB? The correct answer is no.

A more talented backup allows for the coaches to go the the backup earlier if the starter is injured or ineffective. POB could have actually played more than Fyfe, if he could have just beaten out Fyfe at the beginning of the season.

I would have had POB ready to play this season and not worry if he will be eligible to play in 2020. I would think I could recruit and develop another QB by then.

I think it's dumb to waste a year of eligibility to be a backup. I imagine it didn't matter if POB beat out Fyfe. If he didn't beat out Tommy, he was going to redshirt.

Because he did not even compete for the job!

How many true freshman QB's actually start? The answer is very few. He wasn't ready.

Happens quite a bit . I remember TMart. Touchdown Tommie started as freshmen.

Taylor Martinez was a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. Coincidently, so was Tommy Armstrong. Turner Gill played on the freshman team. Tommie Frazier started as a true freshman. He is the only one I know of that worked out well at Nebraska. Even the Heisman winners recently were REDSHIRTS. Now we have people calling a kid a bust that has never played before??? Holy sh#t people.

No kidding. People seem to hold Osborne as some sort of standard. Look at his player development. It was tough to cracking the depth chart as an underclassmen.

This is not true. TO routinely played 2nd and 3rd string players. I remember a few games with participation of more than 100 players. TO even put the 2nd string QB in for the 2nd quarter against weak teams early in the year (Frankie London against Central Florida in 1996). TO routinely had 2 or even 3 back sharing the load.

I don't see how any of what you said refutes what you quoted. It WAS difficult to crack the starting lineup as an underclassman when Osborne was coaching, especially along the offensive line. Osborne believed those linemen needed their development time and it's hard to argue with his results.

Playing backups when the starters had beaten down our opponent was part of his development process and we were fortunate to be able to do that.

A team that aspires to be Top 25 has backups ready to go with the full playbook.....whether they play or not is irrelevant, just like every other position. I'm sure you remember the year when Colorado was down to about their 5th string and every one of them played like a pro.

This is one reason why many fans feel like they're watching the Diminished Huskers.....maybe the Nebraska Peelers.

To me it makes sense next year for Lee to start and POB is the 2nd string guy. Lee has experience, but POB could beat him out for the job. Gebbia will most likely redshirt and rightfully so. It takes time to learn the offense and to move up from high school for most players to college. We lose quite a few experience players after this season so the more experience we can replace them with, the better IMO. I'm not real confident about next season, but that's because I really don't know what to expect at this point. POB is not a bust, he was redshirted for a reason!

BRI

Do you really feel POB has the potential to take over mid stream or from the start next year. If so, don't you feel he would have been able to back up Tommy this year? Get a few plays a game and possibly could have played some when Tommy went down.

I guess I just don't get the rapid development from one year to the next. I never really saw it in Taylor or Tommy.

BRI

Do you really feel POB has the potential to take over mid stream or from the start next year. If so, don't you feel he would have been able to back up Tommy this year? Get a few plays a game and possibly could have played some when Tommy went down.

I guess I just don't get the rapid development from one year to the next. I never really saw it in Taylor or Tommy.

Taylor and Tommy were developed under a different staff...

Just wish we would have brought POB into play this year. Other teams use Freshman as starters, just feel the team could have benefited greatly from having him as a back up. But I have been saying that all year so big deal. If he is as good as he is supposed to be, he won't be here 4 years anyway and the same with Lee. The more real experience you get the better, just my mentality I guess.

POB is not even close to a bust yet.

Tommy was never hurting until later in the season, that is why POB did not play.

Lets allow our players some time before calling them busts, he has only been here since January

Lee will start next year most likely unless POB learns the offense better-which he can.

Lets also hope no matter who our qb is next year, we see an improvement next year.