Way too early look at 2017 O line

Stars aside, unless you get getting 4-5 star players from SEC country, star rating for Lineman are bogus and meaningless. It comes to size and heart and mental toughness. You get the toughest baddest mofo out there who is determined to beat the guy on the other side every snap.

It's a mentality and culture that has lacked in this program since the 90s.

I hope Farniok is able to start at RT. That guy was supposed to be the stud O-lineman from the 2016 class and most thought he could have played this season. If he's beaten out by a walk-on and an underachieving Knevel, then I don't see the o-line improving much on the right side.

I'd give Farniok every opportunity to start....at LT.

What's up with Barnett? Nobody talks about that guy but he's our highest rated recruit on the O-Line. Is there some sort of academic issue there?

I think he was highly-rated early but never really developed as people thought he might. Not sure if that's picking up the mental part of the game or what. But considering he couldn't see the field with all the injuries we had this year, I'm not holding my breath on this one panning out.

Did I miss something with Barnett or Decker? People are counting them out...

Decker redshirted 2015-2016 season right..?

Barnett severely rolled his ankle at the very end of campus/first game week and was out ~ a month. At that point, they made the decision they liked the OLine and getting him back in shape conditioning wise to play conference OL would be a few weeks anyways, so they redshirted.

Unless I'm misremembering?

Wasn't it Barnett that was eating his way out of a scholarship/playing time? I thought I've heard that a few times that he is way too heavy and out of shape. Or was that someone else?

Let's just say that he needs to take winter conditioning very seriously.

Here is an interesting comparison.

The Iowa 2 deep I was able to find on line had them with an average of :star:star:star .8554 with two walkons.

It consisted of

2 seniors

2 juniors (one redshirted)

4 sophomores (2 redshirted)

1 Freshman (1 redshirted)

Average of 2.7 years in the program compared to 2.38 years for Nebraska.

O Line coach is Brian Ferentz who grew up with a very good O line coach as a dad and played O line at Iowa. He has been in the position for 5 years.

I explain who the coach is for the sole purpose of pointing out that these players have been in the same system and (basically) being coached by the same people with the same technique all their careers.HC Ferentz specialized in O line and obviously has had his hand in coaching them from the start.

I hope Farniok is able to start at RT. That guy was supposed to be the stud O-lineman from the 2016 class and most thought he could have played this season. If he's beaten out by a walk-on and an underachieving Knevel, then I don't see the o-line improving much on the right side.

That would be pretty high hopes for Farniok to displace a 2-year starter in Gates, and one who the coaches moved from RT to LT this year.

What's up with Barnett? Nobody talks about that guy but he's our highest rated recruit on the O-Line. Is there some sort of academic issue there?

I think he was highly-rated early but never really developed as people thought he might. Not sure if that's picking up the mental part of the game or what. But considering he couldn't see the field with all the injuries we had this year, I'm not holding my breath on this one panning out.

Barnett severely rolled his ankle at the very end of campus/first game week and was out ~ a month. At that point, they made the decision they liked the OLine and getting him back in shape conditioning wise to play conference OL would be a few weeks anyways, so they redshirted.

My guess on Barnett is really based on nothing more than he couldn't see the field this year despite multiple injuries. There was much talk from the coaches about burning a redshirt but his never came up. So he has apparently already been passed by true freshmen. Not a good sign.

Decker seemed to be in the mix this spring but was apparently away from the team for a decent amount of time this summer and seems to be a question mark going forward.

That would be pretty high hopes for Farniok to displace a 2-year starter in Gates, and one who the coaches moved from RT to LT this year.

I don't think Gates lived up to either his hype or potential this year. I don't think getting pushed would be the worst thing in the world for him.

I don't think Gates lived up to either his hype or potential this year. I don't think getting pushed would be the worst thing in the world for him.

I agree that Gates struggled at times, but he was also the best lineman on the field for most of the year. Nothing wrong with Farniok pushing him, but it probably would be best to start him out on the right side in his first year as a starter.

I agree that Gates struggled at times, but he was also the best lineman on the field for most of the year. Nothing wrong with Farniok pushing him, but it probably would be best to start him out on the right side in his first year as a starter.

And he was hurt.

Gates isn't going anywhere. He's an NFL talent. Farniok will push for the RT spot.

• Fire 1

And he was hurt.

Gates isn't going anywhere. He's an NFL talent. Farniok will push for the RT spot.

+1

And he was hurt.

He needs to play like an NFL talent.

And he was hurt.

He needs to play like an NFL talent.

There were games that guys who follow o-line play that said that Gates played great. These were early in the season when he was healthier. There should also be a consideration that LG was a mess for most of the season, with Foster's injury.

Wasn't it Barnett that was eating his way out of a scholarship/playing time? I thought I've heard that a few times that he is way too heavy and out of shape. Or was that someone else?

It is him.