Roster Management 101

Just for fun and games, let's everyone build a roster using the 85 schlorships. In the perfect world we won't worry what grade they are in or how many stars they have. Just distribute the 85 schlorships. It's my post so distribute them according to these groups. If I get enough responses I may do a summary.

There maybe further problems in the future. Post up your numbers.

QB

RB

FB/TE/H-Back

WR

OL

DT

DE

LB

CB

S

Special Teams

• Fire 2

QB-4

IB-5 (gotta use the term I-back)

WR-10 although 1-2 of those WR's could be used like an RB at times

TE/FB/H-back-5 (figure that a walk-on or 2 can add depth there)

OL-18 (7 tackles, 7 guards, 4 centers) plus I am sure there could be 1-2 guard/center combos

So, that is 42 on offense

DT-7

DE-7

LB's-8 (taking fewer LB's with more spread teams)

CB's-9 (including nickel and dime backs)

Safeties-7

So, that's 38 on defense

2 kickers

2 punters

1 long-snapper

QB - 5

RB - 5

FB/TE/HB - 5

O line (CGGTT) - 20

WR - 8

DT -7

DE - 7

LB - 10

CB - 7

S - 7

specials - 4 (punter, kicker, punter/kicker, snapper)

You then will add atleast 2 walk ons at each of these as well and ideally a walk on for each redshirting player in addition. 85 scholarships plus 70 to 75 walk ons. You can reduce that number some provide you have a number of 'athletes' than can play reasonably in multiple positions. For example, tight ends and full backs and linebackers are all somewhat interchangeable size and speed wise, etc. Safety/CB and even LBs can switch in emergency, for scout and practice rolls, etc.

WRs and CBs and RBs are all preferred as kick / punt returners. To the extent possible, if you can find back up punters within the ranks of other positions, one should do so as the limited travel rosters allow more other positions to be taken.

I would play a fullback but if you look at Riley, he doesn't play him so maybe take one O linemen out as you use double tights so much.

QB-5- (I know this seems high but my thought is you have two upper class-man and then a couple of younger guys to learn.. similar to what we have now)
RB- 5-( 3 guys who can play and the other two are practice squad guys)

FB- 2- Both can play Special teams
WR-10
TE- 4
OL-17- 3 deep at each spot and a Long snapper

DT-6
DE-8
LB's-9- special teams depth here.
CB's-10
Safeties-6

2 kickers
1 punters
Long snapper counts towards my o-line

QB - 4

RB - 4

FB/TE/H-Back - 1

WR - 12

OL - 20

DT - 8

DE - 8

LB - 12

CB - 8

S - 8

Special Teams - if you have an absolute stud you want to offer a scholarship for then (1) should be here. You can find it from somewhere.

Come on BRB, kickers are football players, too.

Kickers are a strange position as far as scholarships. There are some who should get a scholarship right out of HS. However, as a general rule, I think you need to get the guys in and see if they can handle the position in college before you just start throwing scholarships at them.

Maybe I need to modify it some because once the guy proves he can handle it and he is starting, he should be on scholarship.

QB - 4

RB - 4

FB/TE/H-Back - 1

WR - 12

OL - 20

DT - 8

DE - 8

LB - 12

CB - 8

S - 8

Special Teams - if you have an absolute stud you want to offer a scholarship for then (1) should be here. You can find it from somewhere.

1 Scholarship TE? Are you running a 5-wide offense? lol

I modified it. Didn't realize TE was lumped in with FB.

QB - 4

RB - 4

FB/TE/H-Back - 1

WR - 12

OL - 20

DT - 8

DE - 8

LB - 12

CB - 8

S - 8

Come on BRB, kickers are football players, too.

Kickers are a strange position as far as scholarships. There are some who should get a scholarship right out of HS. However, as a general rule, I think you need to get the guys in and see if they can handle the position in college before you just start throwing scholarships at them.

Maybe I need to modify it some because once the guy proves he can handle it and he is starting, he should be on scholarship.

I thought the exercise was an allocation of the 85 scholarships, so yes, you probably would have the starting kicker on scholarship, even if he came to school originally as a walk-on.