best worse case scenerio 2017

With the end of 2016 coming upon us, It is fun to look at what 2017 may behold. With so many variables and too far ahead I have no guesses on how we will finish, but have what I see as our best and worse scenario.

Best Case Scenerio: The huskers land many of their top targets and get a couple surprises and end with a top 20 recruiting class. With the help of offensive linemen redshirted in 2016 and a healthy Foster and offensive line, the offense soars to new heights with an air raid. The Huskers win all the games they are supposed to and upset Oregon, and Wisconsin. The huskers Lose to Ohio State and another conference game but manage to win the Big 10 West. The huskers lose in the Big 10 Championship game but win their bowl game and end the year 11-3.

Worse case scenario: The huskers gaffe on most of the remaining class and and don't fill some positions of need. They end up ranked in the top 40 but don't reach the top 25 recruiting class. The huskers start the season out decent with a 4-1 record losing only to Oregon. But with a newer qb and no rushing attack,they proceed to lose to Wisconsin and Ohio State. They manage to beat Purdue or Minnesota but lose the rest of their games. Eichorst is let go because every men's sport has declined since he took over. The new AD immediately fires Riley. We finish the year with a 5-6 record.

For the record, I do not see either option happening. Most likely something in between will happen. However, I see no way we do better than the first option (hope I am wrong) and if we have a season like the second option see no way Riley maintains his job. I do not believe he gets a "free pass" until (insert date here). Thoughts?

• Fire 2

With the end of 2016 coming upon us, It is fun to look at what 2017 may behold. With so many variables and too far ahead I have no guesses on how we will finish, but have what I see as our best and worse scenario.

Best Case Scenerio: The huskers land many of their top targets and get a couple surprises and end with a top 20 recruiting class. With the help of offensive linemen redshirted in 2016 and a healthy Foster and offensive line, the offense soars to new heights with an air raid. The Huskers win all the games they are supposed to and upset Oregon, and Wisconsin. The huskers Lose to Ohio State and another conference game but manage to win the Big 10 West. The huskers lose in the Big 10 Championship game but win their bowl game and end the year 11-3.

Worse case scenario: The huskers gaffe on most of the remaining class and and don't fill some positions of need. They end up ranked in the top 40 but don't reach the top 25 recruiting class. The huskers start the season out decent with a 4-1 record losing only to Oregon. But with a newer qb and no rushing attack,they proceed to lose to Wisconsin and Ohio State. They manage to beat Purdue or Minnesota but lose the rest of their games. Eichorst is let go because every men's sport has declined since he took over. The new AD immediately fires Riley. We finish the year with a 5-6 record.

For the record, I do not see either option happening. Most likely something in between will happen. However, I see no way we do better than the first option (hope I am wrong) and if we have a season like the second option see no way Riley maintains his job. I do not believe he gets a "free pass" until (insert date here). Thoughts?

Yeah, this seems about right, imho. +1. Of course offense is only half the equation. On defense we're losing Nate Gerry, Ross Dzuris, Josh Banderas and Kevin Maurice. All four are great players who we will miss. At safety and LB I think we have a decent depth chart, so we'll be just fine. At DE and DT I'm not so sure. Of those four guys we might end up missing Dzuris and Maurice the most. We were pretty thin at D-line last season due to the three departures early last spring. But our D-line could be better with the offseason to workout and heal. (Do we have any D-linemen coming off redshirt?) We also lose Rose-Ivey. But his career at NU has been plagued by so many injuries that Marcus Newby already has a ton of experience at Sam.

At best our D-line might be a bit better with the Davis twins having another year of weight room under their belt. The Blackshirts could end up being tougher against the run, and be able to pressure the QB more on passing downs. At worst we could end up looking like we did against tOSU and Iowa. That would make for a long season.

It is an interesting question...I wonder if Riley has a ceiling or floor. Is 10 wins the best he could do? Will he never do worse than 6 wins?

I guess I could see him doing worse than 6 wins a lot easier than I could see him getting over 10 wins...not because he isn't a decent coach just more so because 11 wins is difficult.

I suppose next year they will be favored in all but about 2 or 3 games...so I would think 9 or 10 wins is best case. Worst case...6 losses.

If we go "Air Raid" Riley will get fired.

Good thing our offense isn't "air raid".
No, it's balanced because......

........why not?

The goal is to be balanced. Not every game is going to have the same ratio for one reason or another.

But you understand that.

I understand that it is totally unnecessary and is why the offense has been inconsistent at best the past 2 years.